Tips for getting most volume into bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Marquez

Reaction score
I just bottled my second batch

48 bottles from 5 gal dropped into fermenter.
41 bottles from the second 5gal batch.

So I'm loosing 1.8 gal between day one in primary, through transfer to secondary, secondary to bottling bucket, and then racking into bottles.

Yes I know. secondary is a waste... ignoring that very subjective and personal opinion that seems to be held high in this forum, Yet stated as desired (required) for a clear beer on other forums, and my local BSH..

What are your tips for scavenging the most volume from primary.. to bottling day.

Kegging and force carb will happen in the very near future so that will same some waste in the secondary to bottling bucket and bottling itself (i'm wasting maybe 2 beers at most during bottling)

Thanks

Yes I know. secondary is a waste... ignoring that very subjective and personal opinion that seems to be held high in this forum, Yet stated as desired (required) for a clear beer on other forums, and my local BSH..

I definitely lose less beer than when I used to secondary. The beers in the attached pic are examples of of bottled beers, no secondary. Secondary if you like but it is not required for clear beer.
:mug:

beer.jpg

Aim for 5.5 gallons into primary. Accounting for losses this should give you 5 gallons finished product

chickypad said:
I definitely loose less beer than when I used to secondary. The beers in the attached pic are examples of of bottled beers, no secondary. Secondary if you like but it is not required for clear beer.
:mug:

Off topic but as clear as those are, where's the head?

Off topic but as clear as those are, where's the head?

I know, the set was a gift from my mother in law which was really nice, but they went in the dishwasher before first use without my knowledge. Killed the presentation.

chickypad said:
I know, the set was a gift from my mother in law which was really nice, but they went in the dishwasher before first use without my knowledge. Killed the presentation.

That'll happen, nice flight though:) !

Back