Tincture for aroma and not for flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myerstyson

Reaction score
I want to make a tincture of rose (based on a recipe for Rose Schnapps), to be added to a Saison. I would like the aroma of the rose and not the taste.

Is there a way to add a tincture and not get the flavor, too? Is that even possible?

(I searched elsewhere, and found lots of helpful info on tinctures, but nothing on this aroma vs. taste question.)

Taste and smell are interconnected so it would be hard to add "only aroma".
The aromatics are more volatile and will be lost faster too. And they may degrade before the other components so the aroma fades.

But I'd be curious if you come up with a way to do this.

THanks @ArcLight. I'm making it later this year after my rose bushes bloom. I'll let you know what comes of it. I'll probably add a small amount of the tincture at bottling, taste/smell it, then adjust. I don't want the Saison ruined and tasting like someone is drinking perfume, but I'd love to have the scent.

The rose schnapps recipe I'm using is from here

I might just make the schnapps and taste it and see how it tastes. Who the hell knows, it might taste good. Maybe even pour a small measure amount in a glass then pour a finished beer over it and see how the taste/aroma is.

Back