Tin Plated Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wup

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an easy way to get my immersion chiller Tin plated, I have talked to a few people and they say it would probably be a good idea. I was just wondering if there would be any down side to getting it Tin plated.

Wup

Whan you boil your copper chiller to sanitize it before use it puts copper into the boil in small ammounts. Copper is a yeast nutrient, yeast nutrients are good. Minor, but I really don't see any reason to get it plated. Unless because you can...thats always a valid reason.

will tin flake off if the copper tubing flexes? that would be a concern for me.

clayof2day said:
Whan you boil your copper chiller to sanitize it before use it puts copper into the boil in small ammounts. Copper is a yeast nutrient, yeast nutrients are good.
This site also mentions Cu being important as a yeast nutrient. The only reason to tin plate copper is to create a bit more uniform, less oxidized surface (as in tin plated cookware). As long as you keep your wort chiller clean, you can reap the benefits of copper without worrying about that green oxidized funk that copper can develop. If you only brew once or twice a year, you might consider plating it so that the copper doesn't oxidize between brew days.

guys I'm curious how best to deal with a bit of tarnish? I cleaned with vinegar but should I get more serious? I ask because like stated hear I had heard that brewing will take care of it. Just want to be sure.

Latest posts

Back