time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, this beer is an unusual style that is so rare that most states do not have access to even one commercial example.

a.jpg

Is it a BJCP style?

It is mentioned sort of as a substyle. However, even the main style hasn't been mentioned. I'll provide the link when we are complete.

The main style that this beer type is listed under is typically a little bit lighter than the picture, more of an amber or dark red.

Seriously doubt it. If it is, his hints are wrong.

You'll see.

I could tell you that the main style would not apply to my hints. I was being very specific.

If you want to guess the main style, you would have to lighten the color to something between 10-19 SRM.

Sub-Style (This beer):
A: Smoked chocolate malts, minimal hop, roast, some dark fruits. complex.

T: Dark Chocolate, dark fruits, roast.

M: Full body, low-medium carbonation

Main Style:

A: Very rich and strongly malty, often with a caramel-like aroma. May have moderate to strong fruitiness, often with a dried-fruit character. English hop aroma may range from mild to assertive. The aroma may have a rich character including bready, toasty, toffee, molasses, and/or treacle notes. Low to no diacetyl.

Sub-Style (This beer):
A: Smoked chocolate malts, minimal hop, roast, some dark fruits. complex.

T: Dark Chocolate, dark fruits, roast.

M: Full body, low-medium carbonation

Main Style:

A: Very rich and strongly malty, often with a caramel-like aroma. May have moderate to strong fruitiness, often with a dried-fruit character. English hop aroma may range from mild to assertive. The aroma may have a rich character including bready, toasty, toffee, molasses, and/or treacle notes. Low to no diacetyl.

Wee Heavy?

molasses/colonial porter.

No sir,

I am going to allow a guess of the main style to be a winner as well. The major difference between this style and the main style is that the color of the picture is much darker than the main style. Also, the main style doesn't typically have chocolate or roasty characteristics.

Going into this, I knew that this style would be sort of a challenge. Since the main style category hasn't been mentioned yet either, I will add one more clue and also consolidate all of the clues below:

1. Picture: There is supposedly only one remaining commercial example left (In the US).
2. Picture: The style originated in Germany
3. Main Style (Not Pictured): American style is typically between 10-19 SRM
4. Picture:
**A: Smoked chocolate malts, minimal hop, roast, some dark fruits. complex.
**T: Dark Chocolate, dark fruits, roast.
**M: Full body, low-medium carbonation
5. Main Style (Not Pictured):
**A: Very rich and strongly malty, often with a caramel-like aroma. May have moderate to strong fruitiness, often with a dried-fruit character. English hop aroma may range from mild to assertive. The aroma may have a rich character including bready, toasty, toffee, molasses, and/or treacle notes. Low to no diacetyl.
6. ABV: 10%

Trolling now?

Haputanlas said:
Main Style:

That description is for English Barleywine. Which very much contradicts...

Haputanlas said:
Brewery is from the US, but the style originated in Germany.

emjay said:
Trolling now?

How about that the only commercial example is an AMERICAN beer that's a copy of a GERMAN beer with ENGLISH hops. :confused:

Boom,

You got it.

It's actually an Adambier, but it's listed in BJCP styles under Old Ale/Barleywine.

I figured after reading the comments that it would probably take too long to get to this substyle.

The only brewery to currently brew this is Hair of the Dog. Their "Adam" beer is what is pictured.

Trolling now?

Check this out:

http://www.bjcp.org/study.php

Adambier is under the Barleywine/Old Ale substyle section.

My descriptions are dead on for the Adambier.

Let me know if you still think this is contradictory.

I knew this particular style would be a bit on the difficult side, but I wanted to throw a challenge.

I actually COPIED the Barleywine text in here so that someone might use Google or another search tool to hit the main style. It looks like it happened.

Back