time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cascadian dark?

I'll take it.

American Dark Ale aka Black IPA aka Cascadian Dark Ale.

Black IPA is an oxymoron. How can it be black and pale?
Cascadian Dark Ale is just silly for so many reasons.
American Dark Ale is a reasonable, good name for the style.

You're up, bragona71.

I'll take it.

American Dark Ale aka Black IPA aka Cascadian Dark Ale.

Black IPA is an oxymoron. How can it be black and pale?
Cascadian Dark Ale is just silly for so many reasons.
American Dark Ale is a reasonable, good name for the style.

You're up, bragona71.

LOl.. I have thought about the "Black IPA" only after a neighbor who is analytical like yourself asked how is it a pale ale and so dark?

ok I enjoyed this last weekend for the first time when I was in socal. I had to come home and get a bottle of it

IMG_20150129_152753475.jpg

LOl.. I have thought about the "Black IPA" only after a neighbor who is analytical like yourself asked how is it a pale ale and so dark?

Somewhere along the line, "Pale" started to mean "Hoppy" instead of pale colored. (I blame Sierra Nevada for this, although they didn't intend it)

Then, "India Pale" started to mean "Really hoppy".

Then, "Double India Pale" started to mean "Really, really hoppy and strong."

So now we have these words that are used to signify things that they have no bearing on. Because marketing.

It makes me sad, to be honest.

Pale Ale - Ales are considered stronger and hoppier than lagers, but a "light" colored beer is considered marketable. So you make a Pale Ale as a way to market a light, dry, hoppy ale. I can get behind that.

India Pale Ale - hoppy and pale. The word "India" is kind of a kitschy, historical idiom. I can get behind that.

Double/Imperial India Pale Ale - "Imperial" universally means "higher gravity," another historical reference from when beers were distributed overseas to imperial colonies. If you take the "Double" with respect to the "I" in "IPA", then it expands to "IIPA" or Imperial IPA. I can get behind that, sure. Makes a certain amount of sense.

"Black IPA". OK. Now you're pulling a fast one, fella. IPA's are the current fad. So you make a hoppy version of a dark ale and you don't know how to sell it. So you call it Black India Pale Ale? This is where I draw the goddamn line. It's not pale, buddy. There is really no way around this fact. Black is not pale.

"India Pale Lager" Oh my god. Shut up. IPL is a thing? The closest analogy I can think of is if someone took a whole wheat bread recipe, adapted it to use rye instead of wheat, and then called it "Whole wheat rye bread."

Anyway, enough antisocial pedantry from me. Post a real challenge when you're ready, bragona71.

"Black IPA". OK. Now you're pulling a fast one, fella. IPA's are the current fad. So you make a hoppy version of a dark ale and you don't know how to sell it. So you call it Black India Pale Ale? This is where I draw the goddamn line. It's not pale, buddy. There is really no way around this fact. Black is not pale.

"India Pale Lager" Oh my god. Shut up. IPL is a thing? The closest analogy I can think of is if someone took a whole wheat bread recipe, adapted it to use rye instead of wheat, and then called it "Whole wheat rye bread."

Anyway, enough antisocial pedantry from me. Post a real challenge when you're ready, bragona71.

you just made me fall on the floor laughing. Where would we be without marking geniuses

I have been in the bread industry for 15 years and I have seen a million attempts at re inventing bread but a whole wheat rye we have never tried!!

you just made me fall on the floor laughing. Where would we be without marking geniuses

I have been in the bread industry for 15 years and I have seen a million attempts at re inventing bread but a whole wheat rye we have never tried!!

Maybe you've found your next marketing campaign!

:mug:

So, the beer.

Unless your SoCal comment was a red herring, you've said two important things:

1) It's a SoCal brewery.
2) It's distributed at least as far as the Central Coast / Monterey area.

The SoCal breweries that are distributed outside of SoCal (to my knowledge) are concentrated in L.A. and San Diego.

The only L.A. brewery that I know of which might be distributed that far is Golden Road. And I was in the Bay Area recently (not too far from Monterey) and didn't see any Golden Road. So I'm going to discount that (though I could be wrong)

So I'm going to guess that it's a San Diego brewery. Stone is definitely distributed throughout CA (indeed throughout most of the US) so it could be Stone.

But the fact that you hadn't tried it before visiting the brewery (at least that's how I interpret your remarks) says that it's not a year-round beer. If it were a Stone beer, and you were fan enough of Stone to visit the brewery, and it weren't a year-round beer, then it must be a recent release that you got to try at the brewery, and you came home to find distributed bottles of it - otherwise, you probably would have tried it in the bottle before you visited. So if it were Stone, it must have *just* been released. I can't think of a Stone beer that fits that description, unless Delicious IPA just made its way to Central CA despite being released a couple months ago.

So, my theory is that you visited Modern Times, sampled City of the Sun, and when you got home you found it in a bottle shop.

Modern Times - City of the Sun. (if it's not that, I highly recommend you try it)

I just read the blogs about delicious IPA today cant wait to try it( im a little behind the times)
I will look for modern times tomorrow when I go to the store looking for a great beverage to share during the big game besides my home brew

No and no

I`m sorry to disappoint your chaco (and myself) I did not visit any breweries on my trip to socal unless you want to call the one at cal adventure a brewery( a sad excuse for beer IMO)

Hmm, so you had it during a visit to SoCal but not at a brewery.

I am assuming you didn't have it at California Adventure (I am not sure what they're serving these days... I had fun at the wine and cheese tasting at the Sonoma area many years ago, though I'm sure they're serving garbage wine and cheese if you're an aficionado of those things)

The fact that you were in the North OC area could be a giveaway (Bruery, Bottle Logic) but if you didn't have it at a brewery then that doesn't help very much.

Is it an Orange County brewery?

Hmm, so you had it during a visit to SoCal but not at a brewery.

I am assuming you didn't have it at California Adventure (I am not sure what they're serving these days... I had fun at the wine and cheese tasting at the Sonoma area many years ago, though I'm sure they're serving garbage wine and cheese if you're an aficionado of those things)

The fact that you were in the North OC area could be a giveaway (Bruery, Bottle Logic) but if you didn't have it at a brewery then that doesn't help very much.

Is it an Orange County brewery?

the wine they have there is mediocre at best I don't recall having cheese.it was on tap at a bbq joint and its not orange county

Valiant Alpha drive?

no

BTW choco if your in that area, in Orange across from uc Irvine med center there is a place called Alapolco, a fusion of French and Mexican cuisine, the chef is a culinary genius and the bar tender makes his own liquours. Amazing food and drinks Just a great place to eat and hang out

Somewhere along the line, "Pale" started to mean "Hoppy" instead of pale colored. (I blame Sierra Nevada for this, although they didn't intend it)

Then, "India Pale" started to mean "Really hoppy".

Then, "Double India Pale" started to mean "Really, really hoppy and strong."

So now we have these words that are used to signify things that they have no bearing on. Because marketing.

It makes me sad, to be honest.

Pale Ale - Ales are considered stronger and hoppier than lagers, but a "light" colored beer is considered marketable. So you make a Pale Ale as a way to market a light, dry, hoppy ale. I can get behind that.

India Pale Ale - hoppy and pale. The word "India" is kind of a kitschy, historical idiom. I can get behind that.

Double/Imperial India Pale Ale - "Imperial" universally means "higher gravity," another historical reference from when beers were distributed overseas to imperial colonies. If you take the "Double" with respect to the "I" in "IPA", then it expands to "IIPA" or Imperial IPA. I can get behind that, sure. Makes a certain amount of sense.

Hahahaha I love this! I'm with you. However, I will say that I lend more credence to IPLs than Black IPAs. "India Pale Lager" (to me) seems like more of a natural, modernized extension of the original style. All they've done is switch up the yeast and fermentation temps -- the idea of a pale, hop-heavy beer is still intact. The black IPA, though...ugh. I have to agree with you that you can't have a black pale ale of any variety. It doesn't make sense. Not to mention that the fusion of stout roastiness and IPA hoppyness doesn't work for me 9/10 times. Who the **** puts grapefruit juice in their coffee (or mocha)? Cause that's what that is.

With that said, I *did* purchase one of Stone's "Golden Stouts" and I didn't hate it. So maybe I'm less principled than I'd like to believe... :cross:

Latest posts

Back