time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be clear, Barrel has been identified as an adjunct. But such is this particular beer that I will be disappointed if the previous use of the barrel is not identified - it's pretty important to the beer.

Russian River Consecration?

You got it, Holmes!

As a person who is not that experienced with sours, I have to say I enjoyed this. The only other sours I've had are Bruery sours - Mother Funker and Oude Tart (Also have had Cascade's Honey Ginger Lime sour at their tap room... but I'm not sure if it counts. If they bottled it, though, I would buy it frequently) I really like Oude Tart but I really see now what the big fuss is about RR sours (still hoping to find Supplication at some point). As much as I think Pliny the Elder is over-hyped, this one was a really unique experience. Highly recommend.

Just to be clear, style was American Wild Ale (RR describes it as "Sour Dark Ale") and adjuncts are Cabernet Sauvignon barrel and currants.

20140411_144916.jpg

You got it, Holmes!

As a person who is not that experienced with sours, I have to say I enjoyed this. The only other sours I've had are Bruery sours - Mother Funker and Oude Tart (Also have had Cascade's Honey Ginger Lime sour at their tap room... but I'm not sure if it counts. If they bottled it, though, I would buy it frequently) I really like Oude Tart but I really see now what the big fuss is about RR sours (still hoping to find Supplication at some point). As much as I think Pliny the Elder is over-hyped, this one was a really unique experience. Highly recommend.

Just to be clear, style was American Wild Ale (RR describes it as "Sour Dark Ale") and adjuncts are Cabernet Sauvignon barrel and currants.

Such good stuff. Temptation is the best sour that RR makes IMO. It's incredible.

Okay guys, this might be a tough one. The color is your hint. There are no adjuncts. I will accept either the specific brew, or the stylistic tradition from which it comes.

EDIT: Also, sorry for the glassware and the sh*tty lighting, that was the only way I could get the camera on my computer to get a decent representation of the actual color. It is pretty dark, and deep deep red. Basically, despite the fact that the photo looks crappy, what you see there is exactly what I'm seeing in person. For the record, this *is* beer, not wine, despite the appearance and glass. The head dissipated SUPER fast.

Photo on 4-13-14 at 9.31 PM.jpg

OK, bear with me while I Sherlock this thing.

I got the impression that you were ruling out all sours with your previous hint. Otherwise, I would guess American Wild Ale (Bruery's portfolio makes it a statistically good guess).

However, the lack of any adjunct is troubling, because most Bruery beers are at least barrel-aged (which most consider an adjunct). Barrels aside, the lack of any adjunct actually narrows it down quite a bit.

It can't be one of their wheat beers, because those would have some head retention and you mentioned there was little to none.

It can't be one of their farmhouse ales, due to the color being dark while Bruery saisons are mainly light-colored.

Therefore I suggest that it must be a very specific beer: their Rugbrod (rye bread ale).

OK, bear with me while I Sherlock this thing.

I got the impression that you were ruling out all sours with your previous hint. Otherwise, I would guess American Wild Ale (Bruery's portfolio makes it a statistically good guess).

However, the lack of any adjunct is troubling, because most Bruery beers are at least barrel-aged (which most consider an adjunct). Barrels aside, the lack of any adjunct actually narrows it down quite a bit.

It can't be one of their wheat beers, because those would have some head retention and you mentioned there was little to none.

It can't be one of their farmhouse ales, due to the color being dark while Bruery saisons are mainly light-colored.

Therefore I suggest that it must be a very specific beer: their Rugbrod (rye bread ale).

Awesome Sherlocking! You are correct, it is The Bruery's Rugbrød. I would have also accepted Danish Julebryg, the style from which this was born.

Photo on 4-13-14 at 9.29 PM.jpg

Ok,I haven't been in the game for awhile.....I'll put one out there. Just style.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397609600.842932.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No and no. This is not a hint but an added dimension to the game: This is my homebrewed attempt at a clone of a commercial beer. If you guess the style and the beer cloned, I will send you a 12oz bottle of this beer, for sampling purposes of course.

Ding..ding....ding! Yes, a heady clone. Pm me your mailing address Wes.

Sweet! HT was my first thought when I saw your picture, but for some reason guessed differently first.

Here's the next. Style and two adjuncts. This is a commercial beer.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397614982.799127.jpg

Back