Time to panic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flike01

Reaction score
I got a Belgian Wit kit about a week ago. It had a smack pack included in it, and I completely forgot to refrigerate it because I'm used to using vials now and making starters...it just completely slipped my mind.

So no refrigeration for a week -- I pitched it eight ours ago (after activating the nutrient pack three hours prior to pitching) and there is 0 evidence of any activity. I am assuming my yeast that was added are no longer living.

So this brings me to three choices:

1: I can wait it out a little longer and just see if most of the yeast died...if they reproduce enough in the next day or two they could revitalize (if not all dead).

2: I can go to the homebrew store tomorrow to see if they might have some wit yeast and repitch.

3: I have harvested yeast from my kölsch batch from three weeks ago in the fridge. I could pitch this, but I don't know how a belgian wit would taste at the end of the day when kölsch yeast is what did the fermentation.

Any thoughts/advice?

I sometimes leave yeast sitting at room temperature for a month or two during primary fermentation. I'm not sure why you would have any problems with your yeast. 8 hours is not nearly enough time to worry about whether or not fermentation has started. Give it a couple days and then panic.

I guess I have just been really spoiled in the past :) Usually my yeast starts becoming very active in the first four hours or so. To see absolutely no activity in my airlock has had me fearing for the worst.

I will probably do as you say and let it sit for a couple of days. I would rather end up with a belgian wit like I originally intended rather than a crisp/dry version of one.

Even if just 10% survived, they'll start multiplying like crazy. I'm may take up to three days, but they'll catch on. I think you'd only have to be worried if your room temp was over 85 degrees for the week. If it's 70-ish, you'll be fine.

What you did is just the opposite of a yeast starter. :)

I forgot to mention I added 2lbs of bath salts to my wort.

...time to panic now?

Back