Time to dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfosty

Reaction score
I made 1gal of Black Sapote wine on Jan 1st of this year. It had 3# fruit, 1.5# cane sugar, acid blend, tannin, and pectic enzyme added. Typical fermentation, other than it was around 75 deg ambient temperature (too hot?) During and after fermentation it has an extremely strong nail polish remover smell (ethyl acetate?). After splash racking, sulfating, and cold conditioning, it still has the same, but slightly less strong sent. Is this safe to even taste? Is it salvageable or just needs a few more months to age?

Boy, I had to look up what that fruit is.
Wikipedia description makes me not even consider making wine out of it...
It can't hurt to wait, but not sure if it will turn into something better.
Have you heard of other people making wine with it?

It's a pretty odd fruit, I think a relative to the persimmons maybe? My parents have a tree that produces probably 50lbs a year. Looking on google there seems to be only one winery in Australia that uses them. They are edible to eat so I assume they can be used for wine. They have a bland chocolate pudding-ish flavor.
I used Red Star Premier Classique yeast.

Back