Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms.Thing

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’m currently making my first batch of wine ever and think I may have stumbled across a problem. I did the first racking over into an air locked carboy five days ago and everything seemed to be great until yesterday. I’m getting whiffs of rotten eggs. I wouldn’t say it’s extremely strong but it’s definitely there. I’m wondering if I should just leave it alone until the next racking or if I should act promptly and try a splash racking to see if it helps?
A quick rundown on my process: I used approximately 2.5 pounds of blueberries tied up in cheesecloth, 1.5 gallons of tap water that was filtered and left out over night to help get rid of any chlorine, 3 pounds of sugar (dissolved in boiling water), one cup of Welch’s grape juice, 1.5 teaspoons of acid blend, 1 teaspoon of peptic enzyme, 1 teaspoon of yeast energizer, and 1.5 crushed campden tablets. This gave me a SG of 1.099. I mixed all this up and let it rest for 24 hours before adding red star’s blue packet of yeast. It took off nice and seemed to be fermenting well. After a week I removed what was left of the blueberries and got a reading of 1.040. I racked it into the secondary container and put a airlock on it. It’s been sitting in a dark cabinet with a temperature of 72F.
I’m open to all critiques and suggestions, I’m trying hard to learn from this process. Thank you in advance.

Thank you both for your replies. I would say it’s a rotten egg/rotten fruit sort of smell. It’s not stinking up an entire room or anything but I can definitely smell it when I stick my head in the cabinet.

Rhino farts are not uncommon with some yeast strains. Normally it should only last a little while and dissipate. But as @Dr_Jeff brought up, it can be due to lack of nutrients. If the smell keeps up, dissolve some yeast nutrient in an oz or two of boiled water and add to the fermenter.

Rhino farts are not uncommon with some yeast strains. Normally it should only last a little while and dissipate. But as @Dr_Jeff brought up, it can be due to lack of nutrients. If the smell keeps up, dissolve some yeast nutrient in an oz or two of boiled water and add to the fermenter.
I’ll definitely give it a little longer and try this out. Thanks a ton for the much needed wisdom.

Rotten eggs = sulfur = normal fermentation product. Good news is that this smell goes away with time. I would not worry a bit.

I'd also like to add that fiddling with a fermenting product can often make matters much worse. Let nature run its course.

I've made lots of wine, but not with berries as you're doing. Much kudos to you for that. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Rotten eggs = sulfur = normal fermentation product. Good news is that this smell goes away with time. I would not worry a bit.

I'd also like to add that fiddling with a fermenting product can often make matters much worse. Let nature run its course.

I've made lots of wine, but not with berries as you're doing. Much kudos to you for that. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thank you so much, that certainly makes me feel a lot better.
It’s something I’ve wanted to try my hand at for a while now and after being gifted a load of blueberries, I thought it was the perfect time to give it a go.
I’ll definitely keep you all updated, fingers crossed that all turns out well enough.

Back