Time saving, Pre boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT's AZ Ale Haus

Reaction score
Has anyone done a 1 gallon extract pre boil the night before.

What I thought, is do a quick one gallon 60-minute boil with your bittering hops the night before and just let it chill overnight.
Then the next day on your Brew Day, do your 4 gallon full brew, but just bring the four gallons to boil then flame out and add you're one gallon pre-made hop/wort.

Thoughts concerns...?

Last edited:
Like a no chill?. Just keep it clean and sanitized

IPA.

I would do a full 60 min boil with hops, just do it the night before on the stove top while watching tv.

Well, remember that the maximum IBUs extracted in liquid is about 80 IBUs before the water/wort becomes saturated and the acids won't be isomerized. So an IPA would probably be one of the things that wouldn't turn out great with this techique.

The reason is because of the dilution. Say you got 100 IBUs in that 1 gallon of wort. It's not likely, more like 80, but 100 makes the math easier for me. So you have 1 gallon of 100 IBU wort, and add 4 gallons of 0 IBU wort. That means you'd have a total of 25 IBUs.

Plus, I can't figure out how this would save time. You'd boil the one gallon batch, and you'd boil the 4 gallon batch, taking the time for two boils. Wouldn't that take longer than 1 boil?

To same time, do a shorter boil. Use all the wort, but use more hops and do a 30 minute boil (or less).

I see the dilution point, but 4 gal wouldnt be boiled for 1 hour, it would be brought to boil and then flameout. So that would save an hour on brew day.

Latest posts

Back