Time for a new brewpot or save the old one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I've got a 20 gallon stainless steel boil kettle which I installed a 5500w element into. The bottom of it looks to be starting to pit. There a little rust spots forming about the size of a pen head in various spots - but it's only on the bottom of the brew kettle. I've tried everything to get rid of them...CLR, bite brew, oxyclean, pressure washer...and I think they're here to stay.

Is there a way to save this pot? I've got about $400 in parts in the thing, and would really like to keep it, but don't want rust to get into my beer either.

The pits most likely occurred by scratching the bottom with a steel spoon(?) or scrubbing with steel wool(?) which removed the oxide layer. The oxide layer can be reformed with the use of food grade citric acid powder. I don't remember the correct dilution. This will renew the oxide layer, but the pits will remain. The pits will require extra attention for cleaning, but if it is a good quality pot I would keep it.

use Bar Keepers Friend (the powder works better than the liquid IMHO) and a green scrubby pad. Should remove the rust and help repassivate.

Back