Time for a brew house! Our build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboatright

Reaction score
Well my buddy and I after several years of brewing outside in the South Georgia heat, bugs, and all the nasties floating around in the air and losing about every third batch to god knows what cause it sure was not from our equipment not being clean, we decided if we wanted to make the best beer you could ask for then we need to be able to control the area around you brewing and fermentation process. so what better way to do that than build a dedicated brew house! now we have been working on this project for a few months now and are getting pretty darn close to getting done but before we finish we would like to know what yall think and if you know of anything we might want to add.
here are some photos to get yall caught up on our project.

we cheated a little and bought a pre built building :)
but here is the delivery and setup.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

the first thing was to start on our walk in dual sided fermentation chamber
one side we can keep at lagering temp and the other side we can keep at fermenting temp both sides are fully adjustable and independent and it even has taps coming out the front, well for you know taste testing!:mug:

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

That's awesome! We're currently in KS and have an electric setup in our basement. We are looking to move around Charleston, SC but they don't have basements there. I've been thinking where the hell am I going to brew at! If I wanted to brew in the garage I could have gotten by with a propane setup. I was thinking the garage would be all hot in the summer and wouldn't be any fun as I've been spoiled with our current setup. How large is that building and what type of cost is involved?

for our floors we decided to to get some custom cut pine flooring from a local sawmill and to make it our own we just had to brand our logo in the floor!:)

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

the building is 12x24 and cost about 6k as for the cost of the inside well lets just say the skies the limit!

as of right now we have to clear the floors add cabinets and finish trim work
we are also in the process of building a 20 gal electric brewing system.
ill post more photos as we get more done. thanks for the replies!

WOW, that's awesome!!! I was actually looking last week at something very similar (at least the basic building). The inside would be plain.

You have inspired me to think bigger.

I'm the buddy that helped build this sucker. We'll have to get some pics/deets up on how we've built the cooler and, once we get it done, how we built the electric brewing system. We've definitely learned a lot--like don't do electrical at 3am (ouch!)--so feel free to ask questions as well. Anybody here got suggestions for the table for the brew system? We were thinking of using some of the leftover flooring but don't know about what the heat will do.

As for the cost, we can prolly write up a breakdown of everything. We definitely could've gone cheaper, but in the end, we want a place to enjoy for a good while.

But let's just say it's a good thing I don't have a wife/kids to support :)

I'd definitely get heating & cooling in there. Maybe even a bar as well?! I've seen pics on the Cooper's forums where guys downunder do such things. Nice!:tank:

That's awesome! We're currently in KS and have an electric setup in our basement. We are looking to move around Charleston, SC but they don't have basements there. I've been thinking where the hell am I going to brew at! If I wanted to brew in the garage I could have gotten by with a propane setup. I was thinking the garage would be all hot in the summer and wouldn't be any fun as I've been spoiled with our current setup. How large is that building and what type of cost is involved?

I'm from Charleston, and got started brewing there. If you don't have an enclosed air conditioned space, you're gonna want fans. Lots and lots of fans. And some kind of screens for your kettles if you're brewing outside. Get ready for the Palmetto bugs!

Sweet! But, you should have kept that baby on Wheels. Would have made a great tailgate party!

Very jealous here.

Man that is straight amazing. It looks fantastic inside as well.

... Anybody here got suggestions for the table for the brew system? We were thinking of using some of the leftover flooring but don't know about what the heat will do.

I'd say stick to something wood and VERY solid, for a top, you might look at having a local sheet metal/ac company bend you some metal to fit as a "cap" over the wood, ( you could go mild steel and then have it powder coated, or for a little more stainless steel sheet) did this for work benches in my old motorcycle shop and they worked awesome at a fraction of what "heavy-duty" SS benches would have cost.

Well my buddy and I after several years of brewing outside in the South Georgia heat, bugs, and all the nasties floating around in the air and losing about every third batch to god knows what cause it sure was not from our equipment not being clean, we decided if we wanted to make the best beer you could ask for then we need to be able to control the area around you brewing and fermentation process. so what better way to do that than build a dedicated brew house! now we have been working on this project for a few months now and are getting pretty darn close to getting done but before we finish we would like to know what yall think and if you know of anything we might want to add.
here are some photos to get yall caught up on our project.
Where in South Georgia are you? I grew up in Coffee County.

Pierce county!? I'm from Charlton. Very small world indeed. I live in Athens now. I'll have to stop by on my next trip that way.

Very nice build. I'm jealous.

Pierce county!? I'm from Charlton. Very small world indeed. I live in Athens now. I'll have to stop by on my next trip that way.

Very nice build. I'm jealous.

Really? Cool you'll have to stop by one day maybe we'll be done by the time you do.

Time for a long overdue update. Since the last post, we've mostly finished everything out and even gotten in a few brews. First, the brew system: a mostly complete electric brewery with 20 gallon pots.

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

Temperature-controlled fermentation room. It leaches cold (34 degree) air out of the cooler room/keg storage to cool or clicks on an incandescent light to heat.

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

Lastly, the cooler room. Can't remember if we already said this, but we use the CoolBot + Window A/C and are actually able to bring down the temp below freezing if we want. The material we used for the walls turned out less waterproof than we were hoping, so we're changing it out with solid plastic to deal with the condensation.

Not shown: 1) opposite the sink/brew system, we have a push cart for workspace and a futon for enjoying the down time with a brew. 2) right of the cooler, we've since add shelf storage in the cubby

IMG_2244.jpg

I got a wood-topped push cart to match my shelving that's proven to be really handy. But your space is way cooler! :rockin:

right of the cooler, we've since add shelf storage in the cubby

If you converted the shelf storage into a bathroom you would never have to leave.

I use a ceramic heater (lasko) in my fermentation chamber to reduce light exposure and it is more efficient than incandescent lights.

Very impressive build.:mug:

Latest posts

Back