Time at temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
So I'm skipping work to brew an Oktoberfest, but I'm trying to get work-related tasks done at the same time. In my multitasking hurry, I didn't grab my thermometer to measure my strike temp and just trusted the dial on the outside of my pot (I BIAB). Turns out, the dial is not particularly accurate and my mash temp started at about 158. Not the end of the world, but I was shooting for 151 for this single infusion mash. I've read that it isn't a huge deal to be a little high, and in fact I almost always am, but it took at least 10 minutes of stirring and some added water to get my temp where I wanted it. Usually I'm at my target temp after only about a minute of stirring.

So I know I'm not screwed or anything, I'm well on my way to beer, but my question is this: how much mash action took place in the 10 minutes from dough in to "proper mash"? If I expected a pretty fermentable wort (1.053OG, 1.013FG, ~76% AA), should I expect much difference?

I'm reminded of two great sayings:

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it again?"

"RDWHAHB!"

Some conversion definitely takes place pretty quickly, but I think you won't notice much difference.

One tip for next time- a couple of ice cubes works great to cool the mash really quickly, and doesn't thin the mash.

I always bring a small bowl of cubes to the mash party when I brew. I find it's much easier to aim a bit high and add a few cubes than to miss low and have to heat up the mash (Cooler mash tun).

Back