Tilt users - have a question/need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewswithshoes

Reaction score
I just threw my Tilt into my first batch. I'm using the default Tilt google sheets updating, and it's working, but only when my phone is on. Once the phone goes into sleep mode (i.e. screen goes off) the updates stop feeding to the sheet. Sure enough, if i unlock the phone again the updates will start back up.

Don't want to have to leave the screen on the whole time.

What am i doing wrong??

Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

TILT is sending, but without something receiving, there's no updating. Perhaps you might have a Bluetooth tablet or laptop or something that could be left on to receive the updates?

Or perhaps there's a setting for the sleep mode on your phone. Not sure what will happen, though, when you take that phone outside of the Bluetooth transmission radius.

The Raspberry PI is the route that I'm going to take, and I've ordered one...supposed to get here tomorrow. If you look on the Tilt web site it has several links to Raspberry PI and how to interface it with the Tilt. I'm pretty sure the PI will at least send the data to the cloud, but I haven't researched all the options with this system, and I think there are other options.

Thx for the replies. I also got an email back from tilt. I'm going to go the raspberry pi route so I can get continuous logging.

I used an old smartphone I had sitting in a drawer to monitor and log to the app. It should continue to log when the phone screen turns off, so long as you are in range of the Tilt and you don't close the app.

I did the raspberry pi route. It works amazing, I have mine set up with a screen so when one walks by than can instantly see the readout like the phone app. and when i'm not around i can check the progress from my phone or computer via the google sheet.

Yep, you're not doing anything wrong, just that your phone is only reading in from the tilt when you're in range and awake.

+1 on the pi option. They have a "tilt pi" image you can flash to an SD card and you're up and running. Don't forget to change your pi password and to follow the instructions on how to setup wifi on a headless setup.

If you really want to geek out you can try Fermentrack which doubles as a fermentation temp controller and integrates with your Tilt:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...irmware-wifi-brewpi-no-arduino-needed.586476/

I have mine set up with the arduino-based hardware config here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...wpi-fermentation-controller-for-cheap.466106/

Back