Tilt Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on your house structure and where you have the Tilt. In a PET fermentor in my unfinished basement, I was able to read the Tilt on the second floor of my house, in the room at that end of house.

When it was in my stainless fermentor, I had to be 10-20 feet away, in the basement.

Wow that is some pretty great distance on the Bluetooth. I am definitely going to consider this.

You may have a few more options to log data from Tilt, some cloud-based and others on your network:

Tiltbridge + Fermentrack: A little soldering gets you a way to go from Tilt Bluetooth to WiFi and then to your RPi, app or whatever. The Fermentrack project can also do the data logging if you don't want to use the native Tilt app. I plan to give the Bridge solution a try, or Pi Zero at least.

Brewfather.app I hope this app is finally the Beersmith-killer I think it is. So completely fed up dealing with the ancient file & folder interface on Beersmith and came across this project the other day via Hoprod Garage on Instagram. I already love this app's recipe features and the fact that I can use it on any device is a big upside over Beersmith 3's locking you into two devices and paying extra for the app. That's all great but what's next level about it is they have BrewPiLess and Tilt support built in already. So, regardless of how you want to log - WiFi or Bluetooth on your phone - this app pulls it all into to your session data. Very comprehensive app walkthrough/review on YouTube.

As other's have said, Google Sheets is another solid option. Obvious benefits aside, if you still want super slick charts updated in real-time it's dead simple to use Google Data Studio to make it look like you coded your very own app. A quick search around the forums you will find a half-dozen other visualization tools that you can plug Sheets or other log files into.

Have done way too much research into this stuff lately. Hope it helps!

Funny, I could only get the BrewFather.app to load and work (settings could be changed, etc.) on my iPhone 8 but could not get it to work on my older iPad or Windows10 computer. Thus, I could not evaluate the program. Nothing could be added or changed on the iPad and the Windows10 computer.

Funny, I could only get the BrewFather.app to load and work (settings could be changed, etc.) on my iPhone 8 but could not get it to work on my older iPad or Windows10 computer.

Open https://brewfather.app/ in your desktop browser

Then, click the "Open APP" link in the top right corner

You will be prompted to create an account and login. Once you are logged in to your new account you should see a page like this.

If you get stuck, check out their Getting Started documentation: https://docs.brewfather.app/getting-started

in the main menu you will find 'Tools' where you calibrate your equipment and 'Settings' where you can change your units and connect up to BrewPiLess, iSpindel or Tilt

Another "feature" worth mentioning when you are setting up. Brewfather uses Open.App so the app isn't downloadable per se. It's a website you can save to your home screen on your phone and bookmark in your browser. I pin the tab in Chrome, for example. It's always up to date and you aren't getting a completely different version of the program when you switch devices.

As long as your Tilt is can access the internet and access the Brewfather log URL, it will send new readings every 15 min. Here are the setup: https://docs.brewfather.app/integrations/tilt-hydrometer

Open https://brewfather.app/ in your desktop browser

Then, click the "Open APP" link in the top right corner

You will be prompted to create an account and login. Once you are logged in to your new account you should see a page like this.

If you get stuck, check out their Getting Started documentation: https://docs.brewfather.app/getting-started

in the main menu you will find 'Tools' where you calibrate your equipment and 'Settings' where you can change your units and connect up to BrewPiLess, iSpindel or Tilt

Thanks for trying to help. I probably should add, I already created an account and have not enter any new batch.

When I login, it appears to work on my iPhone 8. However, when I login on my older iPad and on my Windows 10 desktop, while I am able to log in, it will not work.

On those two devices, under the "batches" tab, I get the "blue loading circle" and nothing happens. When I try to go to settings to change the measurement scales, the item will blink and then not change. I am able to turn on the Tilt selection. Then when I exit "settings" and later go back to it, the Tilt selection is turned off. Nothing is saved.

Again, these problems only occur on my older iPad and Windows 10. Again, I am logged in.

Hi CodeSection,
There is definitely a server call on the Batches tabs so I can see where that might be an issue for some browsers.

I'm using Chrome on Win10 for the most part and no issues creating recipes or batches so far. It may be an issue with MS Edge and older versions of Safari implementing JS. Try it on IE 11 on Windows 10 (instead of Edge) and check to see that Javascript is enabled on Safari. If that doesn't work see if Chrome is available for your older iPad. That might do the trick.

If you can't get one or the other to work, let them know there's a bug out there: https://bitbucket.org/brewfather/brewfather/issues?status=new&status=open.

Edit: corrected link to the right bugtracker

Last edited:
Hi CodeSection,
There is definitely a server call on the Batches tabs so I can see where that might be an issue for some browsers.

I'm using Chrome on Win10 for the most part and no issues creating recipes or batches so far. It may be an issue with MS Edge and older versions of Safari implementing JS. Try it on IE 11 on Windows 10 (instead of Edge) and check to see that Javascript is enabled on Safari. If that doesn't work see if Chrome is available for your older iPad. That might do the trick.

If you can't get one or the other to work, let them know there's a bug out there: https://bitbucket.org/brewfather/brewfather/issues?status=new&status=open.

Edit: corrected link to the right bugtracker

Thanks CleareHot! It doesn't work on my iPad OS 9.3.5. You are probably correct about the Safari version. I just tried it with IE 11 browser and it works! Before, I was using the Firefox browser. I haven't tried Chrome or MS Edge as it is now working.

Again, thanks for the help!

Anyone have problems at the end of fermentation? The last few batches have shown “1.000” or “1.002”. I thought I was getting an infection or something but when I took a hydro it was near what I expected (eg 1.012).

It was pretty spot on at the start, though.

I shook the ferm vessel thinking there was dry hop debris, krausen, etc messing with the reading and it didn’t change.

This seems awesome. What's the distance the Bluetooth will work on this? How far outside the fermentation chamber can I have my Raspberry Pi?
My fermenter is a 10 cf chest freezer with a Speidel plastic fermenter in it and the RPi hangs about 3 feet above the freezer. I've never had a problem getting a bluetooth signal but I haven't tried to see how far away the RPi can be placed. I'm not sure how to interpret this but the RPi web interface says that the signal from my Tilt is usually between -83 and -90 dBm which I believe is pretty strong.

Anyone know if when using the tilt and uploading to Google Sheets, can you also have it upload to brewstat.us simultaneously, or will it only upload to one or the other?

It's one or the other. Next the checkbox for logging to the web, you fill in what address to log to. I tried out both of them. Brewstat has a sexier look to it, but I didn't like that I had to export my recipes from BeerSmith to make an .xml in order for Brewstat to work, and I definitely didn't like not having all the data myself to review and store on my own drive. So I use the Google Sheets.

It's one or the other. Next the checkbox for logging to the web, you fill in what address to log to. I tried out both of them. Brewstat has a sexier look to it, but I didn't like that I had to export my recipes from BeerSmith to make an .xml in order for Brewstat to work, and I definitely didn't like not having all the data myself to review and store on my own drive. So I use the Google Sheets.
Yeah i tested it while waiting for a response and you're right - it's one or the other. I interrupted my sheet and had to start over. So i lost the first 6 points but that's ok

So I use the Google Sheets.

If you want sexy charts from your Google Sheets, try designing a chart in Google Data Studio.

Basically, it will take whatever data you have in your sheet and plot it on a web page that updates whenever you refresh it.

It's super easy to setup and you can copy that template into a new report every time you start a new batch.

First batch currently fermenting with the Tilt, so awesome seeing it in action - particularly since I use the BrewJacket, which is fantastic, but means you can't really see what's going on...

I've been using Beersmith for a while, and am reasonably used to it - not necessarily looking specifically to replace it, but thought I'd take a look at Brewfather, since some people in this thread have recommended it - does anyone know how to set up a BIAB-based profile that includes adding top-up water?

Last edited:
First batch currently fermenting with the Tilt, so awesome seeing it in action - particularly since I use the BrewJacket, which is fantastic, but means you can't really see what's going on...

I've been using Beersmith for a while, and am reasonably used to it - not necessarily looking specifically to replace it, but thought I'd take a look at Brewfather, since some people in this thread have recommended it - does anyone know how to set up a BIAB-based profile that includes adding top-up water?

Why use top off water? Why not just do a sparge step to get the volume you want and collect the extra free sugars? No special profile needed, just let the program assume you will use full volume but set your expected efficiency up another 5 to 10%.

Because a) I'm doing no-sparge BIAB and b) more importantly, can't easily cool my wort down to pitching temperature if I do a full-volume boil. I can get reasonably close fairly quickly with my immersion chiller, but the temperature of the tap water only gets me to about 28C or so. Adding 6l of chilled water gets me pretty much spot-on, right away.

While we're on the discussion of the Tilt - the Brewjacket uses a sensor taped to the side of the fermentation vessel to monitor temperature. The Tilt, of course, measures the temperature of the wort actually in the fermenter.

The Tilt is consistently measuring about one degree (C) lower than the Brewjacket. Kinda interesting.

Last edited:
Anyone have problems at the end of fermentation? The last few batches have shown “1.000” or “1.002”. I thought I was getting an infection or something but when I took a hydro it was near what I expected (eg 1.012). [...] I shook the ferm vessel thinking there was dry hop debris, krausen, etc messing with the reading and it didn’t change.

Krausen can get stuck on the top of it, which throws off the tilt. Regardless, my old one (two screw-cap version) did the same thing. It was reliable in that it always read low at the end, so it was still a great tool for monitoring fermentation activity. I added some calibration points, which helped a little.

I had some battery issues with it too, after changing the battery it would not broadcast or hold a calibration reliably. I emailed customer service about the broadcasting issue, and they were really cool about sending me a replacement due to the battery issue, so +1 on customer service.

Krausen can get stuck on the top of it, which throws off the tilt. Regardless, my old one (two screw-cap version) did the same thing. It was reliable in that it always read low at the end, so it was still a great tool for monitoring fermentation activity. I added some calibration points, which helped a little.

I had some battery issues with it too, after changing the battery it would not broadcast or hold a calibration reliably. I emailed customer service about the broadcasting issue, and they were really cool about sending me a replacement due to the battery issue, so +1 on customer service.

New version only screws on one end now?

Just brewed my first batch with the Tilt, I am addicted to watching the plot on brewstat.us. I would have never thought that I could reach terminal gravity in less than three days, but I think that is what happened:
chart (1).png

It looks close. Looks like it was maybe still going down a bit. Maybe it's flat lined for you by now.

I'm also amazed at how quickly fermentation is done on my beers versus before where I'd assume it too a week, but ales seem to regularly hit that 3-4 day duration.

It looks close. Looks like it was maybe still going down a bit. Maybe it's flat lined for you by now.

I'm also amazed at how quickly fermentation is done on my beers versus before where I'd assume it too a week, but ales seem to regularly hit that 3-4 day duration.
Yep, same here. From 1.60 to 1.018 in less than three days...
(Those last couple of squiggly bits are where I lightly shook the fermenter)

TILT.jpg

Yep, same here. From 1.60 to 1.018 in less than three days...
(Those last couple of squiggly bits are where I lightly shook the fermenter)

View attachment 595520
I love my tilt. When it looks like its about done, ill raise the temp a couple of degrees on an ale ... lower it a couple of degrees on a lager... to see if anything happens. If it does, i let it play out. If no change, i cold crash the beer 24-36 hours, add gelatin fining 24-36 hours, then rack it to my keg for forced carbonation.

After multiple brews with the Tilt running, and me tracking gravity and adjusting temperature accordingly, I literally feel like I can't ferment without one. I was panicked yesterday when I had a 3rd batch I was starting to ferment and I couldn't find my Tilt.

I've brewed a couple lagers lately, and I've definitely thought afterwards, "How did I ever do this before?" I've had slow starting fermentations that required patience, super slow starting fermentations that needed interventions, and multiple near stalled fermentations that were saved by bumping up the temperature at just the right moment.

When it works correctly, it's great. I have one that may be haunted. Last batch, 9 days ago...I put the TILT in just before pitching (sanitized and reading 1.000 in water), and it gives me a gravity of 1.067, when what's in there is 1.058. I've had this happen before--the initial reading is high.

Later, though, when it read 1.031, I drew a sample and checked with hydrometer...1.31. At the end, it read 1.012. Hydrometer sample: 1.011, well within margin of error.

I'd had a big problem with mine using Energizer batteries. Ray-o-Vac work great; Energizers were crap, and seemed to screw up the ability of the Tilt to operate correctly.

I use mine in conjunction with the accelerated lager fermentation schedule, so as to know when fermentation is about halfway complete, and I use it to time sealing up my conical so the remaining CO2 produced by the yeast can be used to carbonate the beer.

Since it's impossible to see what's going on inside the stainless conical, I find it quite valuable...when it works right.

Mine seems not to like the cold crash as you can see if you click on the link in my signature.

I’m currently calibrating a iSpindel to see if that is anymore resistant.

Mine seems not to like the cold crash as you can see if you click on the link in my signature.

I’m currently calibrating a iSpindel to see if that is anymore resistant.
Will be very interested to see how you get on with that Lee.

Thanks for trying to help. I probably should add, I already created an account and have not enter any new batch.

When I login, it appears to work on my iPhone 8. However, when I login on my older iPad and on my Windows 10 desktop, while I am able to log in, it will not work.

On those two devices, under the "batches" tab, I get the "blue loading circle" and nothing happens. When I try to go to settings to change the measurement scales, the item will blink and then not change. I am able to turn on the Tilt selection. Then when I exit "settings" and later go back to it, the Tilt selection is turned off. Nothing is saved.

Again, these problems only occur on my older iPad and Windows 10. Again, I am logged in.

You can use Brewer's Friend with the Tilt (and iSpindel) and that should work on the other platform. I think it requires a premium membership for the Tilt, though. If you're already using Brewer's Friend, that's a good option. Or you could try a monthly subscription to see if you like it first, and see how it works with your Tilt.

The specs on the Tilt say it's good down to 32F. I'm sure as you approach freezing, it gets confused by density increases. When I'm using it, I let it flatline at FG, bump up the temperature to ensure it's done and do diacetyl rest, then do cold crash. I don't worry about what it shows for gravity during cold crash because I know it's finished, and I'll get an FG sample when I keg after cold crash. Plus it seems to use the measured temperature as part of the equation to convert its degree of Tilt to gravity, and during big temperature swings (up or down), it seems to stray a bit. Again, that doesn't bother me because I know to ignore it during those periods of big temperature steps.

Below plot of one of my typical fermentation profiles with the Tilt and cold crash.

The specs on the Tilt say it's good down to 32F. I'm sure as you approach freezing, it gets confused by density increases. When I'm using it, I let it flatline at FG, bump up the temperature to ensure it's done and do diacetyl rest, then do cold crash. I don't worry about what it shows for gravity during cold crash because I know it's finished, and I'll get an FG sample when I keg after cold crash. Plus it seems to use the measured temperature as part of the equation to convert its degree of Tilt to gravity, and during big temperature swings (up or down), it seems to stray a bit. Again, that doesn't bother me because I know to ignore it during those periods of big temperature steps.

Below plot of one of my typical fermentation profiles with the Tilt and cold crash.

The spec must be a little optimistic on mine as you can clearly see it going way out as soon as the temp starts to drop.

The spec must be a little optimistic on mine as you can clearly see it going way out as soon as the temp starts to drop.

I think that's more about the high rate of change of temperature messing with the Tilt algorithm. You can see it climbs as your temperature starts to drop, well before you get cold. Same shows on mine. My question is why you would care at that point? My thoughts are that I'm cold crashing, so I: a) Already decided fermentation is done, b) Am finished adjusting temperature in reaction to gravity trends.

Hmmm, good point. I have a STC 1000 plus now so I can ramp down the crash much slower. I could try that say over 72hrs rather that 48.

I've read that cold crash is more effective with rapid temperature drop, so you may want to keep the sharp drop. But if you tried a gradual drop to see how the Tilt reacted, that would be very interesting to see.

Back