Three month old grains and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Bought ingredients for Yooper's Oatmeal Stout from Austin Homebrew Supply about three months ago. Crushed grains are in sealed bags, the pellet hops hi were never opened and kept refrigerated. Think it's all still good?

I have a big box of (uncrushed) malts in my basement; many of which are probably around a year old by now. They do have a best-by date, and I'm not sure what impact their age may have, but I also won't worry about it too much.

Unopened bags of hops usually keep well imho, preferably in the freezer, though. Most online shops carry hops from the 2020 or even 2019 harvest, so a few more months of storage aren't going to have a huge impact - given the right conditions, of course.

I once bought crushed grains and then was unable to brew for over 6 months. Not ideal but the beer came out fine (a chocolate stout). Half the time the bag of grain was in the cool basement and then the freezer. I’ve also had crushed grains on hand for only a few months and the beers came out fine.

I have brewed with 4 year old cluster hops. It still had all the alpha, probably lost a little bit of aroma though. Was stored frozen and vacuum sealed.

3 months? i'd brew with it. not a worry ever.

but as comedic relief, and not to hijack a thread, i got 20lbs of fresh malt in the oven kilning. I'm not sure if i want to use it tomorrow or the day after to brew. i've heard you should let it 'air out' for a week anyway before? ;) (just thinking if i need to let it ripen like a banana?)

but back on-topic, 3 months, no problem! :mug:

Back