American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I used, and what my LHBS uses for this clone kit.

Sweet! Good to know.

I figured the difference would be pretty negligible. Can't wait to make this, would love to make the AG version (for control / lower cost) but I can't do full 5 gal boils at this point. BUT SOON..

Has anyone built a water profile for this with R.O. water? I'm using R.O. for the first time and need a ballpark number for salt additions.
Thanks!

Sweet! Good to know.

I figured the difference would be pretty negligible. Can't wait to make this, would love to make the AG version (for control / lower cost) but I can't do full 5 gal boils at this point. BUT SOON..

What size pot do you have? I have a 30qt turkey fryer and can do this with the BIAB method. I have to use a second 5 gal plastic bucket and do a dunk sparge. Then fill as high as possible for my boil...usually about 6g. I put the remaining sparge water in a 2nd kitchen pot, about 1g or so, and boil that separately. Then add into fermenter as my "top off" water. I hit 78% efficiency last time. And got 5.5g into fermenter.

Tasks a bit more work, and clearly more time, but I'm happy with it for now.

What size pot do you have? I have a 30qt turkey fryer and can do this with the BIAB method. I have to use a second 5 gal plastic bucket and do a dunk sparge. Then fill as high as possible for my boil...usually about 6g. I put the remaining sparge water in a 2nd kitchen pot, about 1g or so, and boil that separately. Then add into fermenter as my "top off" water. I hit 78% efficiency last time. And got 5.5g into fermenter.

Those are some great tactics for BIAB'ers with smaller kettles. Thank you!

I do something similar only I use a 5 gal. kettle to do a dunk sparge with and I get great efficiency as well.

It may take a bit more time, but it works for me... :mug:

I posted earlier that I used Wyeast 1272 fermented at 65. Real happy with it. I will try the esb next time.

Always love checking back in on this thread!

+1 on doing hopstand. I did up a 12 gallon batch a week ago and did a 45 minute hopstand at170 with 12oz of Citra. My only addition to the boil was approximately 17ml of hopshot at 60 minutes. I used this same method with the same volume just this past summer with using s-04 in one fermentor and 1968 the other. Both very good but I much preferred the 1968 keg over s-04. Of all the times I have ever done this recipe (10+) using the hopshot with hopstand method (and 1968 yeast) has been the best and closest to the real ZD IMO.

This batch around I split using omega DIPA in one fermentor and Yeastbay Funktown Pale Ale Yeast in the other (both are second generation from previous other IPA's I brewed) and can't freaking wait for the turnout. I know they really won't be close to the real ZD like 1968 produced but I love these two yeasts and the flavor they produce and I figured this recipe will be perfect for them. I Will keep you all posted

Always love checking back in on this thread!

+1 on doing hopstand. I did up a 12 gallon batch a week ago and did a 45 minute hopstand at170 with 12oz of Citra. My only addition to the boil was approximately 17ml of hopshot at 60 minutes. I used this same method with the same volume just this past summer with using s-04 in one fermentor and 1968 the other. Both very good but I much preferred the 1968 keg over s-04. Of all the times I have ever done this recipe (10+) using the hopshot with hopstand method (and 1968 yeast) has been the best and closest to the real ZD IMO.

This batch around I split using omega DIPA in one fermentor and Yeastbay Funktown Pale Ale Yeast in the other (both are second generation from previous other IPA's I brewed) and can't freaking wait for the turnout. I know they really won't be close to the real ZD like 1968 produced but I love these two yeasts and the flavor they produce and I figured this recipe will be perfect for them. I Will keep you all posted
Wow..great info here. I just did a Permanent Funeral clone using a hopstand method, and it turned out incredible. I'm gonna go back to this one and follow your advice regarding the hopshot and hopstand onl method.

i need to look up what hopshot and hopstand is... im about to brew this up for my wife.

once i hit reply, i realized hopshot is that syringe of oils. got it. googling hopstand now

Last edited:
i need to look up what hopshot and hopstand is... im about to brew this up for my wife.

once i hit reply, i realized hopshot is that syringe of oils. got it. googling hopstand now

(Often a large amount of) Hops added at or after flameout, that then soak for up to an hour (but often 15-30 minutes) in the hot, but no longer boiling wort. Sometimes referred to as whirlpool additions. The basic idea is that you get a large amount of hop flavor, moderate hop aroma, and even some bitterness (if the wort is still >~180F). Essentially the inverse of the effect from hops that are boiled for 60 minutes.

Some people replace the traditional flavor & aroma additions done at 30 minutes & less with a large hop stand/whirlpool addition.

Going to do this one again....even have a couple bottles of real ZD on hand to compare.

Was going to mix in some other hops, but now that I've got the real thing to compare side by side I'll have to go original recipe.

Going to do the hopshot and hopstand mentioned above. Damn Citra prices are killer....only this and Amarillo will they not provide a bulk discount at the LHBS. $3/oz is painful. Going to have to go online if I keep this one going.

I assume Briess Golden Light DME at 4SRM is ok for this recipe or should I make some adjustments? Picked everything up to do a 6g biab method with S-04. Though plans to make it this weekend were promptly squashed, next weekend is mine!

$3/oz? Dang, my local place had citra at $2.10/oz or $20 for a pound. Yes I opted for the pound.

I brewed a two gallon batch of this today. Came in a little short so had to add a bit of top off water. More boil off than expected. Gravity was way over, should have been 1.063 and ended at 1.078. Not sure why it ended high. Had a good rolling boil for the entire 60 min boil.
According to Brewers Friend, my conversion efficiency was 94.1%, preboil at 87%, ending kettle at 86%.
Preboil OG was 1.048. This is assuming I entered all info correctly.
Oh well, will wait and see how it turns out.

I assume Briess Golden Light DME at 4SRM is ok for this recipe or should I make some adjustments? Picked everything up to do a 6g biab method with S-04. Though plans to make it this weekend were promptly squashed, next weekend is mine!

$3/oz? Dang, my local place had citra at $2.10/oz or $20 for a pound. Yes I opted for the pound.

$20/lb? Wow....do they take mail orders?

$25/lb is cheapest I've found online, plus $8 shipping.

Going to do this one again....even have a couple bottles of real ZD on hand to compare.

Was going to mix in some other hops, but now that I've got the real thing to compare side by side I'll have to go original recipe.

Going to do the hopshot and hopstand mentioned above. Damn Citra prices are killer....only this and Amarillo will they not provide a bulk discount at the LHBS. $3/oz is painful. Going to have to go online if I keep this one going.

ZD is the best within two weeks of it being bottled. I suggest you drink it now. Lol!

ZD is the best within two weeks of it being bottled. I suggest you drink it now. Lol!

I've had it several times, bottle and draft....but too much time lag to recall how close I got. I'll probably drink one now while brewing and then another in 3 weeks when I keg this one! :ban:

Brewed this yesterday for my first time doing all grain solo. Had a low OG :\ Did the 5 gallon batch and Beersmith said ~1.062 for OG, mine was ballpark 1.044. Hard to read with all the hop debris from the pellets

Not sure why was so low... knew going in my efficiency wouldnt be great but figured better than that... Mashed the 4.4 gallons @ 162 for 60 minutes, then fly sparged pretty slow with 168 degree water until 7.5 gallon approx (estimated pre boil was 7.37 stated in beersmith). Maybe I should I have just gone by gravity readings over volume?

I think next time I run an all batch I'll just add more grain to compensate for my low efficiency

Anyway, pitched two packs of yeast and by this morning I've got a good bubble goin :) Looking forward to trying in a month or so.

Brewed this yesterday for my first time doing all grain solo. Had a low OG :\ Did the 5 gallon batch and Beersmith said ~1.062 for OG, mine was ballpark 1.044. Hard to read with all the hop debris from the pellets

Not sure why was so low... knew going in my efficiency wouldnt be great but figured better than that... Mashed the 4.4 gallons @ 162 for 60 minutes, then fly sparged pretty slow with 168 degree water until 7.5 gallon approx (estimated pre boil was 7.37 stated in beersmith). Maybe I should I have just gone by gravity readings over volume?

I think next time I run an all batch I'll just add more grain to compensate for my low efficiency

Anyway, pitched two packs of yeast and by this morning I've got a good bubble goin :) Looking forward to trying in a month or so.

What was your pre-boil gravity

Brewed yesterday this grain bill. Changed up the hops as didn't have any Citra in yet. Figured I'd try Falconer's Flight.

1oz Magnum 60m
1 oz FF 10m
5 oz FF 175* 30m hopstand

Dry hop 3 oz FF

Did BIAB and hit SG right on the money. Pitched US-04.

Looking forward to the end result.

Brewed this up back in December. Though the recipe I was on beersmith. Just subtle differences in the grain %. Wow is all I have to say. Probably one of the best pale ales I have ever had. Definitely on my brew again list. If the real stuff is as good or better I can understand the accolations it has received.

IMG_20160126_185822 by BlkWraith, on Flickr

Wow that's crystal clear BlackWraith. Looks great! Tonight is legging night of my 12 gallon split batch with this recipe using Funktown Pale Ale yeast and DIPA. It's been dry hopping for 6 days now on 3oz of Citra in each fermentor. Saturday night will be my first pouring from the taps after carbing them up. Can't wait for the side by sides of these two. Both smell freaking amazing and are coming in at 7% ABV.

Nice copper! Hope it turns out well. It is a great recipe. I'm actually shocked at how clear some if the beers are turning out. This is only my 6th batch!:)

Are people dropping the FWH hopping on this and moving to whirlpool additions?

Im going to do a batch this weekend with no FWH, no bittering, 1.25oz at 20, 10 & 5 with a 1.25oz whirlpoool. I might lose some IBUs, but I can live with that.

i was going to... but i didnt get my hopshot because northern sucks... so, i ended up doing the whole boil. i skipped the first wort hop though. and managed to screw up my hop times lol. used beersmith timer for first time ever, probably be my last as well. back to the old school method of setting smaller timers. dry hopping mine next week.

actually, i just realized i misread the dry hop. thought it meant dry hop AFTER 10 days. guess im pitching some hops this evening when i get home lol

On page 117 of this thread so apologies if this has been repeatedly covered.

This will be my first PM attempt and given the cost of the ingredients want to make sure I have a solid plan. That said here it goes:

2.5lb grain bill per recipe
3.125 gallons of strike water at 167-168f, insert grains
Mash at 150f for 60min
Remove grains to strainer, add 3/4oz Citra FWH
Sparge grains with 160f water to reach boil volume of 6gal, take gravity reading
Toss grains and bring to boil
15min left 1oz Citra, add 6lbs DME Briess Golden Light
10min 1oz Citra
5min 1oz Citra
1min 1oz Citra
Cool wort to 64f, take gravity reading
Pitch 1 packet S-04 rehydrated with sanitized water
Fermenter into swamp cooler 7-10 days, take reading
Transfer to secondary, dry hop 3oz Citra 7 days
Keg, cold crash, enjoy.

Missing anything? Result in 5gal of brew or up the boil volume?

Brewing Sunday, anyone please confirm the above looks good to go?

Looks good to me.

Although, you don't really need to transfer to a secondary. I just keep my brews in the fermenting bucket until I'm ready to rack to my bottling bucket.

Ugh. Today was my turn to pick up beer for the group. Bottled today (1-29), so I can't really complain...

At $40 a case, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to homebrew btw, but I'm lazy.

Edit: And it's upside down for some reason. Figures.

20160129_131614.jpg

Nice. Scored some Yum Yum today in NKY $12.99/6. Brewing my ZD on Sunday and realized I have no bag to biaB! Hope to make it bye Home Depot for a paint strainer.

Ugh. Today was my turn to pick up beer for the group. Bottled today (1-29), so I can't really complain...

I bought a couple cases of Pliny recently...$55 for twelve 17oz. bottles...I would WAY rather have 24 ZDs for $40!!!

How long did you have to wait in line?

Looking for some advice on this brew. I am new to brewing and brewed this as my first AG batch. Used WLP002 and fermented at 68*. Did a small FWH and the rest were large flameout and hop stands at 170.

To me, the beer sort of tastes like citrus flavored flinstone vitamins, or maybe lemon lime emergen-c? My friends are saying it doesn't taste "bad" but no one is that stoked on it. I know my description is kind of vague, but let me know if there is an obvious cause of this vitamin c taste I'm getting. Thanks!

Looking for some advice on this brew. I am new to brewing and brewed this as my first AG batch. Used WLP002 and fermented at 68*. Did a small FWH and the rest were large flameout and hop stands at 170.

To me, the beer sort of tastes like citrus flavored flinstone vitamins, or maybe lemon lime emergen-c? My friends are saying it doesn't taste "bad" but no one is that stoked on it. I know my description is kind of vague, but let me know if there is an obvious cause of this vitamin c taste I'm getting. Thanks!

So, using a completely different hop schedule makes a difference, huh?

Last edited:
Back