American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beating a dead horse here but I made this per the OP recipe. Outstanding. From my memory it's right on track with ZD!

Props skeezer

Successful brew-day yesterday.
.75 oz Citra @ FWH, 4 oz Citra @ Flame out for 20 min (lots of stirring and leaving the lid on),
4 oz Citra @ 20 minutes into flame out @170*F for an additional 25 min

I was 4 gravity points high pre-boil and again 4 high post-boil (1.070), but other than that I hit my mash temp and didn't face any troubles. Should yield ~7.0% beer instead of 6.5%.

I didn't realize that my boil kettle trub loss is 1 gallon when I use ~9oz hops. So instead of getting 5.5 gallons into my fermenter I got 5.

Anyone have an opinion for dry hopping for a few days in the primary bucket? I'm assuming the whole oxygen permeability thing doesn't apply here because it would be such a short term thing.

It'd be convenient if I could just throw pellets into the bucket and close the lid. (I will cold crash after 4 days)

Anyone have an opinion for dry hopping for a few days in the primary bucket? I'm assuming the whole oxygen permeability thing doesn't apply here because it would be such a short term thing.

It'd be convenient if I could just throw pellets into the bucket and close the lid. (I will cold crash after 4 days)

Dry hopping in your bucket is fine. I would venture a guess that most people here do just that.

I dry hop in my primary carboy every time.

+1; I dry hop in primary as often as the keg...Vinnie at RR says it is better to dry hop late in the primary fermentation stage...uhm, he makes outstanding beers so we should listen to him. Cheers!

T

Just a quick aside....

I've been wondering lately, and have had a couple acquaintances from my LHBS suggest as well, if Cara 60 is a little too dark for this. Copper and I have made 8-9 versions of this so far and lately they've been pretty dark. What impact would Cara 20 or 30L have here?

Made a second batch of this before my 1st keg had kicked.

I really like the grain bill for this, and the hoping schedule.

Made a batch with all Zythos.

Opened the lid @day 10 and took a taste. Not too bad -- but I do detect the "cat piss" aroma that came from boiling 0.75 oz of Citra for 60 minutes (well technically FWH). I don't necessarily mind it, as I also like wine that has that same characteristic. It's for the most part pretty subtle though. Anyways -- I added 3 oz Citra for dryhopping and will let that run another 3 days and then I'll cold crash it.

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.018
calculated ABV: 6.83
--Pretty close to the original recipe so I can't be mad about that.

After this is in a bottle for a few weeks I'll write back with my thoughts and if I can no longer detect the "cat piss" aroma.

Just a quick aside....

I've been wondering lately, and have had a couple acquaintances from my LHBS suggest as well, if Cara 60 is a little too dark for this. Copper and I have made 8-9 versions of this so far and lately they've been pretty dark. What impact would Cara 20 or 30L have here?

If my memory is correct, I believe I came to the same conclusion. I'd have to check my notes at home later to be sure, but I think I replaced the C60 with half C20 and half C40. It still came out a little dark, which also reminds me that I don't think I ever posted a pic. Gonna pop one of these babies tonight, and try to remember to snap one and post it.

Here's my Zombie Dust, bottled back in February. Very enjoyable! The pic is a little blurry, but the beer is very clear.

Zombie Dust pour.jpg

Opened the lid @day 10 and took a taste. Not too bad -- but I do detect the "cat piss" aroma that came from boiling 0.75 oz of Citra for 60 minutes (well technically FWH). I don't necessarily mind it, as I also like wine that has that same characteristic. It's for the most part pretty subtle though. Anyways -- I added 3 oz Citra for dryhopping and will let that run another 3 days and then I'll cold crash it.

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.018
calculated ABV: 6.83
--Pretty close to the original recipe so I can't be mad about that.

After this is in a bottle for a few weeks I'll write back with my thoughts and if I can no longer detect the "cat piss" aroma.

After having been in the bottle for 2 weeks the "cat piss" aroma has gone. Pretty good beer, soon to be even better I'm sure in the next couple weeks.

Having never tasted the real thing before, is ZD pretty malt forward? Or is there more "emphasis" on the citra? If anyone on here has ever had Surly Furious, do they compare? Really want to brew this as I can't get 3F here in Minneapolis.

Having never tasted the real thing before, is ZD pretty malt forward? Or is there more "emphasis" on the citra? If anyone on here has ever had Surly Furious, do they compare? Really want to brew this as I can't get 3F here in Minneapolis.
This beer is all about the hops. The malt is in there, but buried under a half pound of hops.

To me, Furious to me is a little more typical of an American IPA. Solid bitterness and lots of hop aroma and flavor from a blend of american hops. In comparison, Zombie Dust gives the impression of being less bitter, while having even more hop aroma and flavor from a single variety of hops. Disclaimer: While I've had both beers may times, I haven't had either beer in at least a month, so this is based on memory. I also don't think I've ever had both beers in the same sitting.

I'd say that they are similar in that I would classify both as excellent American IPAs, but very different beers within that style.

Thanks TallDan. Makes sense that the malt is playing second fiddle to citra. I think this may be one of the next brews, once Northern decides to lift the limit on citra hops available for purchase at one time. It's currently only 8 oz per person!

Wiped this up today. Is the wart usually real foamy? Purity much had the carboy to the brim with foam. After O2 and poring in the starter I had a bit of a mess.
I'm thinking it's going to need a blow off tube. Maybe the hops cause the foam?
image.jpg1_zps639jzodu.jpg

This beer is all about the hops. The malt is in there, but buried under a half pound of hops.

nah. this beer is is just as much about the malt and yeast as it is the hops. it's only 81% base malt with strong specialty malts. and lets be honest, nobody has ever accused an english yeast of being very hop forward.

imho, the hops are the only thing pulling this beer together; which they do quite gracefully

I don't usually get this much foam. I gravity drain the boil kettle through a counter flow chiller into the carboy. Just the dribbling had foam to the top. Just was wondering if there was a reason. Makes it hard to aerate. Foam wasn't disappearing so I just proceeded with o2 and yeast and rinsed it off after.

My 5th shot at this. Personally, I prefer to bitter w motueka and finish with a little galaxy. This time, I tried my first attempt at a hop stand/whirlpool. Missed gravity by way too much. Ended at 1.052. I became preoccupied during the sparge and added too much. Had no DME on hand to make up the difference. So, I tossed the bottom gallon and a majority of the hop trub into a growler. Just to see what would happen! Who needs a blow off 😂

View attachment 1440641727101.jpg

Next time you end up with way too much wort from your sparge, boil the wort until you reach your desired pre-boil volume and/or gravity (taking into account that wort expands when heated), and THEN start your countdown timer and toss in your bittering hops.

Likewise, if your boil is a bit too vigorous, and you end up with too little wort after flameout, add water until you get to your desired post-boil volume and/or gravity. As long as the resulting wort is 161F degrees or warmer for at least 15 seconds, it'll Pasteurize the added water.

I drank a bottled conditioned undry hopped version and was amazed how much I detected the melandion malt. Same batch after dry hopping and keg conditioning I did not detect it.

I just made a version with half citra half amarillio, BTW. Excited for it to finish

Man.....That sounds good. I LOVE AZACCA! I think I'll brew this up using Azacca and brett trois. Going to have to raise the mash temp, as brett attenuates more.

You planning to use WLP644? If so, it's not Brett. Was recently determined it is actually Sach. I used it for this before, but added some Mosaic, it finished around 1.008-1.010 mashing around 150.

I just brewed this today. Takes forever to chill the wort down in the summer, but enough griping...

Question on the dry hop. The last couple brews I've made, I added some hops to the keg just before putting it in the kegerator and carbing. Anyone else do that with this brew? I'm wondering if I should do the 3 oz for 5-7 days before kegging, then add some additional in the keg, or break up the 3 oz and do some before kegging and some after? Or does dry hopping with 3 oz prior to kegging (or bottling) result in a nice hop aroma that doesn't fade after a month or so? Thoughts?

Likewise, if your boil is a bit too vigorous, and you end up with too little wort after flameout, add water until you get to your desired post-boil volume and/or gravity. As long as the resulting wort is 161F degrees or warmer for at least 15 seconds, it'll Pasteurize the added water.

I've read that your bitterness level won't be as high as you wanted when you over-boil and then add water to get to the proper post-boil gravity. Is this right?

Okay, okay. Lol Settle down. ...no one likes a mean drunk. Lol yeah, using 644. I really like it....even though I received information it's actually a sach. Oh well. ..gets me drunk. Lol

I am thinking about eliminating the fw hop addition, in favor of a whirlpool addition. Or, maybe just adding a whirlpool to the original schedule. I dunno yet.

Back