American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 min boil. I just think the order is screwed up. This recipe does not have a 60 minute hop addition

The first addition is the first wort hop. I believe it's like that because BeerSmith arranges them by their IBU contribution and that is where I copied and pasted from.

Made my 3rd attempt at this beer this weekend. 1st time I was off. Abv was 7.4% Citra did not come through at all. 2nd attempt I nailed it 6.8% Citra shined through and I had friends beating down the door for some. So seeing if I can repeat 3rd attempt OG was 1.064 and we're bubbling away in the airlock

The first addition is the first wort hop. I believe it's like that because BeerSmith arranges them by their IBU contribution and that is where I copied and pasted from.

Sorry, I guess I am still new to brewing, when do you add the "first wort hop" to the boil? 60 mins?

0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop "60 mins???") Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)

Sorry, I guess I am still new to brewing, when do you add the "first wort hop" to the boil? 60 mins?

0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop "60 mins???") Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)

Others correct me if I am wrong on technique.... I did my first runnings and then added the 0.75 oz of Citra. Did my sparge, added it to the first runnings and then did my boil. That is my understanding of what a first wort hop is.

Others correct me if I am wrong on technique.... I did my first runnings and then added the 0.75 oz of Citra. Did my sparge, added it to the first runnings and then did my boil. That is my understanding of what a first wort hop is.

Exactly. You add the hops as soon as you get wort, before you start the boil.

I do BIAB and I added the first wort hop when I pulled the bag. Let the hops sit and the bag drain for 15 min or so before lighting the fire. Worked well, nice smooth bitterness.

Thank you!!!! I had the exact same confusion!!!! But after much deliberation I discovered you just switch the FWH and the 15 minute addition around in the order they are listed there and your good to go. It's a 60 minute boil with your .75 oz FWH, THEN the 15, 10, 5, 1 minute 1.25oz additions. Good luck and enjoy! I'm bottling this one in four days. Can't wait!

Yes, the hop additions are in the order of the minutes left in the boil. I see that the original recipe lists FWH and 15min out of order. The first wort hops are added to the boil kettle when you start the sparge. They are not taken out until "the end" which for me is after whirlpooling for brews with late addition hops.

I'm sipping my ZD brew right now and its very tasty! :D

And as I sit here continuing to sip on this ZD clone, I am reminded of just how good it is and further compelled to let all of you know that! Just brew it! :D

The Citra hops really make this beer what it is... If you want to experience this recipe, get Citra!

You're right... hops ordered, and even better I got SWMBO to order them! :ban:

How did I achieve this amazing feat? Great question. :fro:

Apologies talking in grams/kilos here:

I said "hey, this is a proven IPA recipe and has rave reviews... so why don't we get a kilogram of Citra? 500g will do 38litres volume into packaging VIP and the recipe is proven, so to save on postage, let's get a kilo!"

The sun must be aligned with something.. a 10kt breeze from the NNW must be passing through a mermaid's hair, and someone somewhere just sacrificed a pig in my honour..those simultaneous occurences got an instant yes.. amazing... usually much more debate is required, then I buy whatever it is anyway and cook a nice dinner or two for forgiveness (that works btw).

:D

Just brewed this from original recipe, this is my AG but I'm not new to the craft. I ended with 6 gallon w/ a SG of 1.050. The color and aroma are just Awsome. I think My sparge was off. My first running captured 3.5 gal of wort and tested with Iodine for full conversion, we will see. Super excited except the lions losing during the brew. Booooooooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We also brewed this for the first time yesterday. We had 5.5 gal after the boil but ended up with 4.5 or so in the fermenter. The smell is wonderful and it already tastes great with a very "smooth" bitterness. We are looking forward to the end result. This is our sixth batch AG using BIAB. We had 75% efficiency which is our best so far with an OG of 1.066.

I am curious if anyone has done an imperial or double version of this recipe?

Planning on doing a couple bombers and using carb tablets. Never used these before. Anyone use these with this beer? What is the proper amount to carb a bomber?

So I'm doing two versions of this recipe. The original with just Citra and a second with a three hop blend. I'm planning on using a combination of Amarillo, Galaxy, and Nelson Sauvine. What do people think on that mix?

So I'm doing two versions of this recipe. The original with just Citra and a second with a three hop blend. I'm planning on using a combination of Amarillo, Galaxy, and Nelson Sauvine. What do people think on that mix?

I do my own version with citra, centennial and galaxy. My favorite. Haven't changed it since

On Friday I brewed a batch with all Nelson Sauvin instead of Citra. I increased the FWH and decreased the Dry Hop slightly. I'm anxious to see how it turns out, of course, by then you will have already brewed yours. :)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410803349.951117.jpg

Just transferred to secondary and added hops. All grain and used wyeast1968. Excited to try this out, I live in Chicago so it it's fairly easy to find some zombie dust so it'll be cool comparing this recipe to the real thing.

Rebrewing this again Thursday. Its s spot on clone, I've had the real deal and other that have had the real stuff too say u can't tell the difference except this clone is just slightly darker in color. I'm gonna shoot for a 154 mash temp as my first was 152 and the us-04 dropped to 1.010 little drier the orig was deft s bit maltier/sweeter so I want to see if I can replicate that but otherwise the recipe is spot on. I'm shooting for 7% this time though I guess the original is around 6.3%

Brewed this again today its so good first batch didn't last to long. I upped it to 7% and hit all my #'s in a 5.5 gal batch, alot of hot break and trub even with a Hopspider. Rehydrated 2 packs of us-04 and aerated with pure i2 wand for 90 sec and 4 hrs later it's already kicking off. Mashed a little higher 153.8 to c if I could get the extra body and sweetness the real one has. Projected fg is 1.015 so well c what the yeast do.

So, if I was going to do FWH with the extract would I just put my hops in with PM grains and in the same bag?

So, if I was going to do FWH with the extract would I just put my hops in with PM grains and in the same bag?

No. Partial mash grains come out at 170F (I think, been a while since doing partial mash) whereas FWH stay in throughout the whole boil. Pulling your FWH early will decrease your IBUs greatly.

Just went to bottle mine last night, it's been dry hopping for 9 days with whole Citra hops. I intended to follow the directions for 7 days of dry hopping, but my schedule's been insane this week.

So I wash all my bottles, boil my sugar water, and go to sanitize mt bottling bucket... only to find that the damned spigot is cracked and leaking like a mother××××××! Have to go buy another (probably a few) plastic spigots today, and just bottle tonight.

Still smells great, I guess mine may just have a more pungent aroma....

Pro Tip: always have an extra plastic spigot handy if you bottle!

Kegged this about a week and a half ago. Been having some here and there over the past week. Have never had Zombie Dust so no idea how this compares (safe bet the original beats mine hands down), but I am liking what I ended up with. The one thing though that is driving me crazy it the clearness. It's pretty much opaque. I am not one to be too concerned about really clear beer, in fact I find it off putting sometimes, but this is really bugging me. I think it might have to do with the colour of the beer. It just kind of looks like brown murky beer. I don't think it affects the aroma or taste very much, but it is bugging me to the extent that I am thinking of transferring it to a new keg. I used a SS Brew Bucket for this and think maybe I was too eager with getting as much beer out of it as possible and transferred too much trub.... Before dry hopping this was probably the clearest beer I ever made on samples from the fermenter (used WLP 002 if I recall, which is highly flocculating). Also wondered if citra contributes to it, but I think it is pretty much a matter of process on my part. Anyway, will likely brew again and try to remedy the issues with this batch.

It's weird because I honestly didn't think I was getting greedy when kegging and getting too much gunk in the keg. However, I am trying to figure out why it's so opaque and that is all I can come up with. Probably like many kegs it's a little cloudier at first then clears up quite a bit. I kegged this 10 days ago and it hasn't cleared at all. The beer I did before this is quite clear and the process was identical, albeit and different beer and recipe....

The amount of dry-hopping in this recipe leads to the cloudyness. Mine only gets clear after a month or more being cold in the keg, usually around the time I'm drawing the last few pints.

I've dry hopped with more than this before with no issues which makes me wonder if citra tends to be cloudier when dry hopped than other types of hops.

Mine was quite cloudy in the keg as well. It lasted maybe a week. Sad that it's gone already.
I was fortunate enough to try the actual Zombie Dust thanks to Patrick and it was quite clear.
Maybe some gelatin may help? Never used anything to try and clear a batch...

Mine was quite cloudy in the keg as well. It lasted maybe a week. Sad that it's gone already.
I was fortunate enough to try the actual Zombie Dust thanks to Patrick and it was quite clear.
Maybe some gelatin may help? Never used anything to try and clear a batch...

FWIW, the first glass of ZD I ever had at the FFF brewpub was definitely cloudy. Even recently I've had it on tap places and it's had some cloudiness. With bottled ZD if you pour the entire bottle in the glass you will have some cloudiness. If you leave the dregs in the bottle it will be clear. Mind you, this is not a bottle conditioned beer, that stuff just seems to settle out in the bottle when it's kept cold.

Latest posts

Back