American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered the ingredients from midwest! Over $22 bucks just in hops :cross:

First brew using a yeast starter and temperature controlled fermentation.

What was the total cost?

47.61 shipped from midwest. I bought a few other gadgets and got free shipping.

How is this for a grain bill. I called in an they threw in a extra .2 lbs of Munich to fit the recipe. Had to order an extra quarter ounce of citra and half pound of the other grains . I'll probably include all 9 ounces of citra in a 6 gallon batch. Why not?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403624225.708285.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403624237.031442.jpg

There are some conflicting hop schedules. The first recipe doesn't have a 60 min addition just a FWH correct?

Skeezer I made this over the weekend and did a 4 gallon boil. so i skipped the 60 minute addition. Should I have added something at 60 minute?
Nope.

I should be able to. I have an 8 gallon pot. How much wort ahold I collect? And I'm. Little confused in the hop additions. There is no 60 minute hope addition only FWH
That is correct.

47.61 shipped from midwest. I bought a few other gadgets and got free shipping.

How is this for a grain bill. I called in an they threw in a extra .2 lbs of Munich to fit the recipe. Had to order an extra quarter ounce of citra and half pound of the other grains . I'll probably include all 9 ounces of citra in a 6 gallon batch. Why not?

View attachment 207412
View attachment 207413
Farmhouse sells a pound of citra for 20$

How much wort should I collect for the 6 gallon recipe. ? I have an 8 gallon pot. Also is 1.25 quarts/per pound a good mash water number?Then run a fly sparge for the balance of the wort?

I shoot for 5.5 gal batch size so should I use the recipe for the 6 gal batch size and just boil it down a little more???? I usually shoot for 6gal post boil and figure ill lose. 5 gal to cold break and hop gunk leaving me with 5.5 to ferment.

I brewed this recipe and I'm hoping it came out ok. Basically a Murphy's law brew. To top it of I dropped my metal strainer in the fermenter and had to fish it out with my hand up To me elbow in wort. I pray I didn't get an infection. Also dropped the stir bar from my starter in to the fermenter and had a boil over. This is my second all grain brew . My first actually went more seamless. Disappointed in myself.

How soon can I tell if I have an infection? I pitched a 2 liter started.

Here are some pics

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404208507.378415.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404208541.328704.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404208559.461050.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404208574.777644.jpg

My last attempt at zombie dust turned out phenomenal. I did a partial mash and used 8 oz citra hops for the 5 gallon batch. The citra was amazing, but it wasn't zombie dust. Any recommendations on adding another hop to compliment the citra? And when to add? I was considering Eldorado

My last attempt at zombie dust turned out phenomenal. I did a partial mash and used 8 oz citra hops for the 5 gallon batch. The citra was amazing, but it wasn't zombie dust. Any recommendations on adding another hop to compliment the citra? And when to add? I was considering Eldorado

My buddy and I think that there has to be Mosaic in there.

We too did this recipe and while it came out tasty, it wasnt Zombie Dust.

My buddy and I think that there has to be Mosaic in there.

We too did this recipe and while it came out tasty, it wasnt Zombie Dust.
The first batch of this that I made last fall tasted VERY close to Zombie Dust in a side by side tasting. So close that I'm sure there will be a bigger difference between batches that I make than there was between my first batch and the real thing. You might consider changing some steps in your process before changing the hop varieties.

That or just enjoy a good beer whether it's a clone or not. :fro:

The first batch of this that I made last fall tasted VERY close to Zombie Dust in a side by side tasting. So close that I'm sure there will be a bigger difference between batches that I make than there was between my first batch and the real thing. You might consider changing some steps in your process before changing the hop varieties.

That or just enjoy a good beer whether it's a clone or not. :fro:

I did this recipe AG with all Citra and it was spot on. I just did a beer similar to this with all Mosaic, I"m excited to see how it turns out

Has anyone tried different yeasts, say WLP001, 002, or 007? If yes, what were your results?

How much of an influence is the strain w/this recipe?

I used WLP005. I didn't love my version of this clone. It was good, but not great (to me). It was my highest rated beer in a local competition though. Take that for what it's worth.

If I was brewing again, I'd use the yeast as specified or 1056.

I used 1968 in mine and it turned out great. Making 2nd batch tomorrow all grain. I'll post the recipe once I get a chance. Throwing galaxy and centennial in the mix w a lot of citra :)

Rather than browse through all the posts here, I thought I would just ask my noob question.

Is there any substitution for the 1lb of Munich malt? It is my understanding that this cannot be steeped. Would I just convert it and add an extra 0.6 lb of DME?

Made my second attempt at this. Dry hopping now. First time over shot the abv. And had some off flavors. So far if gravity doesn't change much in the secondary I'm right on at 6.5abv.

Made my second attempt at this. Dry hopping now. First time over shot the abv. And had some off flavors. So far if gravity doesn't change much in the secondary I'm right on at 6.5abv.

What caused the off flavors? Did you ferment too high temp?

Has anyone tried different yeasts, say WLP001, 002, or 007? If yes, what were your results?

How much of an influence is the strain w/this recipe?

I used 007 the only time I made the recipe. The beer was 100% awesome, but I have never had the commercial version to compare too.

Just bottled up a couple of cases today. Tasted pretty good. Used 1968 yeast. Hit a OG of 1.072 and a FG of 1.018. Just over 7%

I've had this recipe fermenting for the last 6 days at 65 degrees and today it appeared it stopped bubbling. Little concerned about that. I did pitch a massive yeast starter so maybe it fermented out extra quickly... I hope. I'm going to check it out Wednesday and transfer it to a secondary and dry hop. Hopefully this batch ain't ruined. I'm surprised it stopped bubbling so soon but it was bubbling extremely aggressively for several days after it started. Could a beer this high of gravity ferment that quickly?

I brewed the extract version of this yesterday. I followed the recipe on the first page exactly. Original gravity was supposed to be 1.065 but I only ended up at 1.057
I plugged the recipe into my brewers friend app and it estimated the OG at exactly what I got. It's already fermenting, so my question is should I add some more DME at this point to bring the gravity up, or would that be a bad idea? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I've had this recipe fermenting for the last 6 days at 65 degrees and today it appeared it stopped bubbling. Little concerned about that. I did pitch a massive yeast starter so maybe it fermented out extra quickly... I hope. I'm going to check it out Wednesday and transfer it to a secondary and dry hop. Hopefully this batch ain't ruined. I'm surprised it stopped bubbling so soon but it was bubbling extremely aggressively for several days after it started. Could a beer this high of gravity ferment that quickly?

Professional breweries fully ferment their brews in less than a week. Cigar city claims jia alai is grain to glass in 7 days

Primary 1 arrogant bastard clone no3

Primary 2 sublimely self-righteous clone no1

1gal #1 arrogant bAstard with scorpion pepper

1 gal #2 self-righteous w/ *undecided*

Back