American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it thanks. About to bottle! How am I looking far as the color?

1397674106036.jpg

My fermentation fridge smells like a hop bomb went off hahaha. I put this in bucket and there isn't much head room. Kind of surprised the lid didn't come off even with a blow off tube.

I can't believe how hard mine fermented... It was so weird using the wyeast ale for this... I thought it was rotten and infected, but apparently it's supposed to look like boogers lol. It did it's work quickly though

Gregorybrisco that was the exact color mine turned out to look like as well. Did the 5 gallon extract version.

I seemed to have a ton of hop sediment in the bottles I bottled on 4/16. Hopefully that will compact down over the next few weeks. Any insight?

I entered a PM version of this recipe in the National Homebrew Competition as an APA, and advanced to the mini best of show round with a score of 37. Not heading to Nationals with that score, of course, but pleased to have done as well as I did with 61 entries in the Pale Ale category. I'll definitely be brewing this one again!

No complaints that it's was too bitter for an APA? I plan on entering mine in a competition, but was going to enter it as an IPA. I haven't even tasted mine yet, but the real thing definitely taste like an IPA to me. This one is calculated as 65 IBU, the real thing is calculated as 50 IBU and I bumped up my FWH addition to make mine 82 IBUs. APAs are only supposed to go up to 45 IBU.

No complaints that it's was too bitter for an APA? I plan on entering mine in a competition, but was going to enter it as an IPA. I haven't even tasted mine yet, but the real thing definitely taste like an IPA to me. This one is calculated as 65 IBU, the real thing is calculated as 50 IBU and I bumped up my FWH addition to make mine 82 IBUs. APAs are only supposed to go up to 45 IBU.

Key word= calculated. I wonder if the 50IBU is actual instead of theoretical.?.? At 82 calculated I would probably do IPA.

No complaints. But it's definitely on the high end so there's always a risk (and it sounds like you bumped your IBUs up with even more hops so I'd probably just go IPA with yours). At least in Denver, there were actually more Pale Ales than IPAs entered, so you might even better your odds that way!

Planning to do an all extract brew of this next week and will be kegging. Any tips? I read through some of the 110 pages but sure I missed something. I live right by 3f so will be able to do several side by sides :mug:

Sweet fruity goodness! This stuff is awesome! Great recipe Skeet! This will be a repeater.

Great recipe for sure. Tried out my new hop rocket with this recipe. I transferred each keg through three ounces of citra. Then put it on tap using the hop rocket as a Randall. Amazing beer!

Came back to follow up. My brew of this recipe was incredible. Easily the best tasting beer I've ever made!

It did come out VERY cloudy though. Even from kegging. Unfortunate, but I will try different steps next time.

I am brewing this along with Pineapple Strong Ale tomorrow. Will be creating yeast starter tonight since the starter for the Pineapple is going currently. Will throw it in late Friday/early Saturday morning.

I do believe however, that I mixed a small amount of my malts when I was crushing but nothing significant. But I thought I was suppose to have 11.75lb of grain when it is actually 9.75 for the 5gallon batch. So I caught it before I put the extra 2lbs but I know it still is probably 10 or more. so it may or may not be a little stronger but no matter....I am ready to rock.

Planning to do an all extract brew of this next week and will be kegging. Any tips? I read through some of the 110 pages but sure I missed something. I live right by 3f so will be able to do several side by sides :mug:

I'd recommend doing the partial mash version instead. I posted on this earlier in this thread (or maybe in the other thread discussing this same recipe), it's really no harder than using steeping grains if you've done that before, and if you haven't that's really not hard either, and both should give you a better-tasting beer than using only extract.

Other than that, enjoy your brew day! This is a straightforward beer to brew and is easily one of the top three beers I've made in my two years of brewing.

I'd recommend doing the partial mash version instead. I posted on this earlier in this thread (or maybe in the other thread discussing this same recipe), it's really no harder than using steeping grains if you've done that before, and if you haven't that's really not hard either, and both should give you a better-tasting beer than using only extract.

Other than that, enjoy your brew day! This is a straightforward beer to brew and is easily one of the top three beers I've made in my two years of brewing.

So far I have done two extract kits both had steeping grains. wasn't hard at all just like making tea.

How does the process and recipe differ doing a partial mash?

First pull off the fresh keg tonight and v3.0 is WOW. Better than the first two. Needs a bit more carb but it's right there. Definitely bringing this to DLD saturday to share and maybe even do a side by side comparison again. Did a side by side with batch one and it was pretty damn close but that was bottles so not as fresh as this attempt.

First pull off the fresh keg tonight and v3.0 is WOW. Better than the first two. Needs a bit more carb but it's right there. Definitely bringing this to DLD saturday to share and maybe even do a side by side comparison again. Did a side by side with batch one and it was pretty damn close but that was bottles so not as fresh as this attempt.

I will be there if you want to share :)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398538191.961196.jpg
After 2 weeks in the bottle this as amazing citrus aroma and flavor. This will be in the rotation for a long time to come. Damn this is delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Going to try brewing this next weekend and have a newbie question about the hop schedule. When doing an extract when do you do the fwh? Before or same time as the 60 mintue hop?

Brewed today. Thought I had some us04 on hand but only us05 here so I used that. Not a huge issue as I was considering using it anyway with a citra session already on tap here.

Pretty smooth brew day overall and great smelling recipe. Hopefully it's a hit once it gets down to fg and is carbed up nice.

Cheers!!!!

Going to try brewing this next weekend and have a newbie question about the hop schedule. When doing an extract when do you do the fwh? Before or same time as the 60 mintue hop?

The FWH are added in during sparge and left in for the whole boil. The 1oz at 60 minutes is if you cannot do a full boil.

Mine finished at 1.011 which was lower than the target. It doesn't have the same sweetness as the real deal. Also, the hops aren't as pronounced. Maybe the hops weren't very fresh? Overall, my clone still tastes delicious but its not spot on.

I brewed this last weekend and I am waiting to see how she turns out.

Looking on my phone, I misread the hops and did the 6gal measurements instead of the 5gal but was making the 5 gallon batch. Soooo I am guessing she is going to be hoppy. So now I am trying to think about how much I will need to add when dry hopping or if I should just stick with the 2.5oz.

Skeezer, you asked if I was going to add apricots when I said I would bend this a little towards Magic Hat 9. I ended up bottling 12 G, and put apricot flavoring (I know, I know, I wanted EASY) in 4G of it. We'll see.

My FG was 1.010 from 1.058, it seems a little dry. I wasn't expecting S04 to be so robust. Beer is very clear, cake is compact but still had losses and a very large cake.

And now we wait.

I think I went wrong with my brew somewhere. I think it might have been the flameout hops and not a long enough steep. Or steep at too high a temp. It was good, but I was not overly impressed. Might have to try it again.

Any general recommendations for the whirlpool/flameout hops? How long, when out add (temp wise)?

Td

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

now at 2 weeks in the bottle. Want. TO. DRINK ONE.

guess I'll wait another week or so. Can't stand the taste of young/green beer.

I'm in a similar situation. I kegged after 10 days and it's now been 17 days since kegging. First sample after 1 week was pretty bad. No carbonation or bitterness and yeasty. After 2 weeks, it was getting better, but I knew it could be even better. I just took a sample now (17 days after kegging; 27 days from brew day) and it's very good, but I know it will get better over the next week or so, so I'm trying hard not to sample too often.

Looking forward to brewing this up tomorrow with citra leaf. Have the 1968 on the stir plate.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Beersmith has the extract version coming in way under OG. 1.053. My BS settings off or something?

5g total volume
3.5 g boil

Woh. After 10 days primary, 7 dryhop, 14 days bottle conditioning and 1/2 day in the fridge, this is intense and wonderful

Latest posts

Back