Three Back-to-Back Fails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
The last three batches I've brewed didn't come out so well.

The first of the three was the first ever since starting to brew that didn't succeed. It was due totally to a brain spaz on my part, an A/G Centennial Blonde I split a gallon of ingredients off of for my SIL's 1 gal batch and then proceeded to brew the remainder as if it were a 5 gal batch!

The second fail was an A/G Maple Nut Brown that apparently picked up a bug from the (unboiled) maple addition in secondary.

The third was a Brewer's Best Dunkelweizen kit that stalled at 1.020 (extract curse) and for some reason, tastes like fusels.

Anyone else had a run of bad batches like this? I've learned a few things along the way, so other than the otherwise inferior beer itself (none of which are totally undrinkable), it hasn't been a total loss.

The first of the three was the first ever since starting to brew that didn't succeed. It was due totally to a brain spaz on my part, an A/G Centennial Blonde I split a gallon of ingredients off of for my SIL's 1 gal batch and then proceeded to brew the remainder as if it were a 5 gal batch!

The second fail was an A/G Maple Nut Brown that apparently picked up a bug from the (unboiled) maple addition in secondary.

The third was a Brewer's Best Dunkelweizen kit that stalled at 1.020 (extract curse) and for some reason, tastes like fusels.

Anyone else had a run of bad batches like this? I've learned a few things along the way, so other than the otherwise inferior beer itself (none of which are totally undrinkable), it hasn't been a total loss.

Yeah man **** happens. Don't lose hope. Just relax and fix what went wrong the first three times. Make sure anything that goes in is clean/sanitary once the boil is done. And don't get to worried man it happens to everyone. The fusels sound like the temp was off or the yeast strain wasn't a good pick for the batch/ conditions. Maybe getting a water report and just taking a look wouldn't hurt either.

Ok one thing I would recommend to get you on the right track would be to pick one recipe and nail it down. That way you can taste it all the way through and see it and smell it as it progresses into a beer. Just keep studying up and brewing simple to get the process down and youll nail it.

That just what I'm seeing and some opinions. Good luck brah

Yeah man **** happens. Don't lose hope. Just relax and fix what went wrong the first three times. Make sure anything that goes in is clean/sanitary once the boil is done. And don't get to worried man it happens to everyone. The fusels sound like the temp was off or the yeast strain wasn't a good pick for the batch/ conditions. Maybe getting a water report and just taking a look wouldn't hurt either.

Ok one thing I would recommend to get you on the right track would be to pick one recipe and nail it down. That way you can taste it all the way through and see it and smell it as it progresses into a beer. Just keep studying up and brewing simple to get the process down and youll nail it.

That just what I'm seeing and some opinions. Good luck brah

Thanks, man. Like I said, it's been an educational experience -- Beer School --- only a lot less cost and beer to drink in the meanwhile. I'm not disheartened, just feeling a little dumb, esp. the Cenn. Blonde which basically tastes fantastic, except watery due to my own forgetfulness. :smack: I'll definitely do that one again.

The Maple Nut Brown was also fantastic out of primary, perfect balance with a hint of discernible pure maple. I used a buddy's home-grown syrup in the boil, saving 12 oz. of the raw stuff for secondary. I should have boiled it first --- the final taste was sour and alcohol-y and I figure a bug in the syrup was the culprit. Again, lesson learned.

And the third -- a kit. This one I can't explain. My sanitation procedures with every batch from start to finish are meticulous. Did everything spot on, so it must have been something in the kit to finish at 1.020 and end up tasting fusel-y.

Back to A/G. ;)

Sorry to hear. I have not had a run of three in a row, however my last completed batch was a Double IPA that I was very disappointed in. My hop flavor was oddly lacking considering that i used about 10 oz and I picked up some fusels. It is very sad to have a batch with so much invested into it being a higher hopped, higher gravity beer. We must always look at the silver lining and learn from our mistakes. I am sure I under pitched and fermented slightly too warm. My lesson learned? Need to do starters (just got a stir plate and 2L flask). I was trying to ferment on the high end of my yeast to get some fruity esters to complement the fruity hops. I guess between the low pitch rate and pushing the upper end of the temp scale, I was simply setting my self up for a crappy outcome. Although I am still a little perplexed about the hop flavor being so weak. I want to try this one again but take my late additions and make them even later, plus use a starter.

Good luck on your next one!!!

I want to try this one again but take my late additions and make them even later, plus use a starter.

Good luck on your next one!!!

Thanks and same to you. I think your later-later additions might make the difference your looking for. I'm doing a single hop IPA next that has additions @ 60, 45, 30, 15, 5 and flameout. Expecting good things (if everything else goes as planned).

I've been trying to make myself do this for a couple of years now. It's hard when there are so many styles and variations out there but there's really no other way to get a handle on equipment and technique variables. For example, I think I'll split my next Pale Ale into two boils and try two different hop additions. Sort of a SMaSH philosophy but with a few more ingredients and a "better" beer, IMHO. Or, I'll change my mind at the last minute and brew some clone for the first time :).

If you haven't already, kick up your fermentation temp control (e.g., go from basement or swamp cooler to mini fridge or freezer with temp controller. Also stay on stop of cleaning and sanitation. Get confident that "off" flavors, etc. aren't coming from either of those aspects and then assume that your variation is coming from the recipe and/or technique side.

Just some thoughts. Maybe I'll take some of my own advice.

Todd

I had the same thing happen with that Brewer's Best Dunkelweizen kit. It finished too high, at 1.020 and although it tasted OK, it was only 4% ABV. It think the yeast in that kit does not attenuate well. I did a few All-Grain Dunkelweizens on my own recipe but used Wyeast 3068 and they came out excellent.

UPDATE:

Turns out that since this post, only 1 out of 3 turned out to be a fail, the Cenn. Blonde I accidently watered down by 20%. Been using it like beer's equivalent of "Hamburger Helper", except that it's the other occasional beer that I mix into it that gives it some life. By itself, it tastes good, just wimpy at 3.0 ABV.

The AG Maple Nut Brown has come into its own after 6 months of waiting, fusels and residual sourness have all but dissipated. Thank you Father Time!

And the Dunkel... well, sourness is gone and it's drinkable but has zero personality. If I decided to name this brew, it would have been *Yawning* Black Cat.

Next time add the Maple syrup late in the boil. Solves the problem you had.

There is a ton of things that can go wrong, Right now I have a couple of batches that are drinkable but not the homeruns that I like. I just chalk it up to experience.:mug:

There is a ton of things that can go wrong, Right now I have a couple of batches that are drinkable but not the homeruns that I like. I just chalk it up to experience.:mug:

Someone once said we learn by our mistakes. If that's the case, then someday I may be one smart homebrewer! :)

Back