Thoughts on using this as a fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawgmatic

Reaction score
its a 20 gallon drum. its not as cheap as those 15 gallon barrels everyone uses, but it seems like it could be easier to use. It's wider than it is tall, so it would make racking a lot easier. "Full compliance 20 Gal Nestable Drum with DOT/UN, UFC, NMFC, USDA and FDA regulations" so i think its food safe. I would just need to add a hole for an airlock. Any thoughts?

20 Gal Plastic Drums Open-Top Tapered-Side - PLASTIC DRUMS OPEN-HEAD NESTABLE

baytec_2182_5698094

People use brute garbage cans for fermenters, this looks easier to handle.

Here's how they do it with the brute.

There's a BYO article about modding Rubbermaid Brute garbage can. They come in sizes up to 30 gallons and are food grade plastic. All they use are some spring clamps, a grommet and an airlock.

Dig it up...it is sweet!

You can have it on wheels, and use clamps to make the lid airtight, then poke a hole and add a grommet for an airlock...

This one...
1607.jpg

All you need is a grommet, keglube, an airlock and a 3-4 of these to hold down the lid during fermentation. You pop a hole in the lid and stick a grommet in for an airlock and use a little keg lube around the lid to make a good seal and clamp the lid down.

43004.jpg

The instructions are really easy.

1) Poke a hole on your lid
2) Add grommet over hole for airlock.
3) Add wort to sanitized garbage can.
4) Pitch yeast.
5) Squirt some lube around the rim of the pail and put lid on and use clamps to hold it in place.
6) Stick airlock on and let beer ferment.

I'm expanding my brew size at the moment, but not that big just yet. I was just looking to find something that would easy for racking, but I might just end up getting one of those 15 gallon conicals from US plastics. Installing a spigot wouldn't be that hard.

wider and shorter means you will be leaving more beer behind... i would consider 'tall and skinny' to make racking easier.

I just have a room specified for brewing , but I'm very familiar with my heating/AC system. I can direct and control flow into each room by adjusting the vents in the basement. This way I can use AC to keep the room around 64 during the summer, and direct enough heat to keep it above 60 in the winter. I usually tip my fermenter when I rack to get the last bits out, my racking cane isn't that long so that's why I was considering this short bucket. But I'm pretty set on the conical now so it won't be a problem.

Back