55 Gal Plastic Drum for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used plastic drums in the past for cider and other mashes. They work fine. Never had any oxidizing issues. I used the open top drums with the big lids and sealing rings with good gaskets. Built a stand to get it off the floor. Drilled a hole in the bottom with a bulkhead fitting (3/4 inch bulkhead fitting from ace/lowes/farm supply) for draining, drilled a small hole in the lid, made a home made bulkhead fitting with 1/4 barb so I could get a 1/4 silicone hose on it to a mason jar water lock.

Just ordered two 55 gallon and two 30 gallon drums for hard seltzer and hard cider come winter.

I am planning to do a hard seltzer in one of the 30 gallon drums, more as a test to see what kind of pressure the drum will withstand for longer periods of time (pressure ferment).

I don't make cider myself, but I do know that the my favorite cider is fermented in plastic barrels and distributed in plastic containers!

IMG_4234.jpeg

I have used plastic drums in the past for cider and other mashes. They work fine. Never had any oxidizing issues. I used the open top drums with the big lids and sealing rings with good gaskets. Built a stand to get it off the floor. Drilled a hole in the bottom with a bulkhead fitting (3/4 inch bulkhead fitting from ace/lowes/farm supply) for draining, drilled a small hole in the lid, made a home made bulkhead fitting with 1/4 barb so I could get a 1/4 silicone hose on it to a mason jar water lock.

Just ordered two 55 gallon and two 30 gallon drums for hard seltzer and hard cider come winter.

I am planning to do a hard seltzer in one of the 30 gallon drums, more as a test to see what kind of pressure the drum will withstand for longer periods of time (pressure ferment).

Thanks for your response. Can I ask where you ordered your 55 gallon drums?

Thanks

I get my drums from the local used oil pick up company or the local fuel/DEF supply company. In my area for example they are : Chico drain oil / Asbury environmental service / sts oil and fuel.

If you can locate a local company that sells Diesel Exhaust Fluid to the local trucking companies they will usually have tight-head (2 small bungs) drums and barrels in stock but that usually have to order the open head (with lids and lock rings). I think the 55 gallon drums I have on order now are ~$69 each and the 30 gallon drums I have on order are ~$45 each. Prices may vary depending upon region.

Back