Thoughts on this recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I pulled ideas from other recipes but not sure how it will work out for me. Any experienced brewers want to give me some input? Please be nice it's just an idea. Thanks.

Rahr white wheat malt - 9 lbs
Rahr 2-row - 3 lbs (should i add or subtract anything?)
Belgian pilsner malt - 2 lbs
Briess caramel 10 - 4 oz

HOPS - (any help with hop schedule is welcome) this is what i was thinking:

Warrior - .75 oz 30
Warrior - .5 oz 15
Citra - 1 oz Dry hop

i have 2 oz warrior 1oz citra and 1 oz willamette at the house currently.

Extra's -

Irish moss - 1 tsp 15 min
Bitter orange peel - 1 oz (not sure how much to use) 5 min
coriander (whole or crushed?) - 5 min

Yeast -

White Labs WLP410 Belgian Wit II - Platinum

single step infusion @ 152 for 75 mins
fermented 72*

i added extra grain and thinking about adding more of the hops i have to make it a bigger beer, almost imperial. this recipe is for a 5.5 gallon batch (post boil). i have a seven gallon brew pot so pre boil volume has to be just under that. again thanks for all ideas given on this brew idea. im thinking its a belgian wit kinda.

What kind of beer are you shooting for? That is going to be a bitter wheat beer. You could try 9# wheat and 3# Pils, .5oz citra @ 30, .5 citra @ 10, 1oz willa @ 5. That will give you a citrusy wheat beer.

Its a Belgian wit of sorts. I do want a standard wheat bitterness. I had originally planned on using the citra as a f.o. Or dry hop addition. Any benefit to making it a kettle additon? Or do people not typically dry hop wheats? lastly why no 2-row?

I think any flavors from the 2-row would get lost so to speak amid the wheat and pils. The extra gravity points from the 2-row addition would help you achieve your "imperial" desires though.

Cool, sounds like what I aiming for. Its the hops that are giving me a hard time. Any thoughts?

For me, at least, it's hard to offer much guidance b/c I'm not sure about your goal. I've not had an imperial wheat before.

Here are a few things that confuse me:
1) Why add both 2-row & pilsner? They accomplish more or less the same thing in a wheat beer. Pils gives more maltiness, though. Not bad to do, just not clear on why...
2) Why is your first hop addition at 30mins if you're looking for Imperial bitterness?
3) Why Warrior for your "flavor" addition @ 15min? Does it have the flavor you're looking for or is it all you have to play with besides the Willamette?

If this were my beer, I'd bitter @ 60min w/ Warrior to get most of my IBUs, then split the Citra .5oz @ 10min and .5oz @ F.O. (or even .25oz each at 15/10/5/0) to get the most out of my flavor & aroma hops.

Piratwolf said:
For me, at least, it's hard to offer much guidance b/c I'm not sure about your goal. I've not had an imperial wheat before.

Here are a few things that confuse me:
1) Why add both 2-row & pilsner? They accomplish more or less the same thing in a wheat beer. Pils gives more maltiness, though. Not bad to do, just not clear on why...
2) Why is your first hop addition at 30mins if you're looking for Imperial bitterness?
3) Why Warrior for your "flavor" addition @ 15min? Does it have the flavor you're looking for or is it all you have to play with besides the Willamette?

If this were my beer, I'd bitter @ 60min w/ Warrior to get most of my IBUs, then split the Citra .5oz @ 10min and .5oz @ F.O. (or even .25oz each at 15/10/5/0) to get the most out of my flavor & aroma hops.

Yeah unfortunately thats what I have available to me at this time. all those ingredients are what's left over from my brew season. The warrior was just an idea I saw in a brew on this forum that was similar. I was just going to use up what I had for grains that's why there is both in the bill. Should I leave out the two row? How do I use as much of this stuff as poss and still have a good beer?

My wits have a single 60m. bittering addition to balance out the sweetness. If you must have flavor/aroma hops, use the Wilamette, IMO as it's not harsh.

tre9er said:
My wits have a single 60m. bittering addition to balance out the sweetness. If you must have flavor/aroma hops, use the Wilamette, IMO as it's not harsh.

Thank you.

basilchef said:
Yeah unfortunately thats what I have available to me at this time. all those ingredients are what's left over from my brew season. The warrior was just an idea I saw in a brew on this forum that was similar. I was just going to use up what I had for grains that's why there is both in the bill. Should I leave out the two row? How do I use as much of this stuff as poss and still have a good beer?

Use it all, sir! I didn't catch on that this was a clean-up brew. I don't see any problems with using those, just couldn't get the thought process. Go for it!

Piratwolf said:
Use it all, sir! I didn't catch on that this was a clean-up brew. I don't see any problems with using those, just couldn't get the thought process. Go for it!

Thanks again for you help

should i use warrior, citra or willamette for the 60 min addition?

should i use warrior, citra or willamette for the 60 min addition?

I'd go with the highest alpha you have, warrior I'd guess, since there will be really no flavor imparted, just bittering, and you'll use less hops.

update, the recipe Beating the summer W-heat (this forum) was what i ended up doing with this.

Back