Thoughts on this for ferm chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_javi

Reaction score
Anyone use this for a ferm chamber? It his no freezer. Hoping to be able to get a 6.5 bucket in it.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-4-4-cu-ft-Mini-Refrigerator-with-Freezerless-Design-in-Stainless-Steel-HMAR440ST/207169805

It looks like you would have to modify the door to get it to close with a fermenter inside. For only a little more you can get a 7 cu ft. chest freezer that will hold 2 fermenters at a time.

It looks like you would have to modify the door to get it to close with a fermenter inside. For only a little more you can get a 7 cu ft. chest freezer that will hold 2 fermenters at a time.

Yup. I agree, but I am going to use a chest freezer for a keezer, and space is limited. I would rather have a smaller fermentation chamber than a small keezer.

Yup. I agree, but I am going to use a chest freezer for a keezer, and space is limited. I would rather have a smaller fermentation chamber than a small keezer.

Yes it often comes down to room. In my basement I have 2 fermentation chambers so I can ferment 5 brews at a time, somewhat controlled depending on how often I brew. The newest one gets the temperature control. In the other half I have a medium sized refrigerator that holds my hops and frozen yeast vials in the freezer section and three kegs and other supplies in the refrigerator part.

I tried a mini fridge just like that with an empty carboy once and it just didn't want to close. I'm glad I didn't go that way and got the 7 cu freezer the others have mentioned. I also got an fridge to use for a kegerator - the thing is a monster, I can fit 5 kegs and my Co2 in there .. I literally never thought I would want this amount of beer ever but somehow this stupid hobby of ours demands all our money and a frigging huge proportion of our living space and the quicker you get used to that the happier you will be :D

I have the same mini fridge at home (picked it up on black Friday sale). A 6.5 gallon glass carboy will hit the piece sticking out to hold the "shelves" on the door. You can cut that out and be just fine, or build a spacer/collar for the door.

I haven't tested a bucket in it yet but if I remember when I get home I can see if one will fit.

The buckets I have are from Midwest and they show a 12" diameter which should be about the same as the carboy. With the carboy at least, the door will close without any modification but it leans the carboy towards the back of the fridge. Empty, the door stays closed but I would worry about it opening with the weight of 5 gallons of beer pushing on it.

I have a Magic Chef 4.4 CF fridge/freezer and it works fine for my buckets and fermonster I did have to shave off some of the molding on the door and I used the silver insulation tape to cover the exposed foam.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to score one brand new in the box for $60. I figured I'd make it work. I don't want to have to put a collar on it, but if I have to, I will.

$60 for a brand new fridge. Sells for $150 at Home Depot. Fermenter will fit without mods if I cut a piece of plywood to set it on. Can't fit an airlock so I'll just use a blowoff hose. No mods necessary!

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

$60 for a brand new fridge. Sells for $150 at Home Depot. Fermenter will fit without mods if I cut a piece of plywood to set it on. Can't fit an airlock so I'll just use a blowoff hose. No mods necessary!
Can you share what make and model and cu feet your fridge is?

I have a 4.4-cu ft dorm fridge I'm using as a ferm chamber. I can fit a Bigmouth Bubbler in there if I offset it to the left a bit, and use some boards to lift it high enough that it clears the lower lip on the door.

However, I can't fit an airlock on there, so I offload the ferm gases to a closed-jar setup on the bench above. Your bucket fits in the fridge above, but I don't think you're accounting for the airlock.

minifermchamber.jpg
minifridge2.jpg

I have a 4.4-cu ft dorm fridge I'm using as a ferm chamber. I can fit a Bigmouth Bubbler in there if I offset it to the left a bit, and use some boards to lift it high enough that it clears the lower lip on the door.

However, I can't fit an airlock on there, so I offload the ferm gases to a closed-jar setup on the bench above. Your bucket fits in the fridge above, but I don't think you're accounting for the airlock.

View attachment 554824 View attachment 554825

Looks like you have a freezer on that one and you did not have to bend it at all?

Looks like you have a freezer on that one and you did not have to bend it at all?

That's right. I was uncomfortable with bending it. Some people who do that end up breaking the line and ruining the unit.

It would have been easier to just cut the formed plastic from the door and cover it with something, but I wanted the option to return it to a refrigerator if at some point that made sense. The fermenter JUST fits in there.

Back