Thoughts on Spike Brewing Hose Quick Disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage Iron

Reaction score
St. Croix River Valley in Western Wisconsin
I’ve used that style before (not Spike’s) on a keg for adding a thermowell.
They work and hold at least 50psi.

You have to push them in until they click.
That might cause an empty vessel to move on you if you try it one handed.

I've got both a spike kettle and a CF10 fermenter. I had to go through the "what connectors" process as well.

I've got a combination--camlocks for a lot of things, and Triclamps for others. The reason for camlocks was threefold:

1. At the time, there didn't seem to be the variety of fittings and such for the hose disconnects such as from Spike as there was in Camlocks. I think that's gotten better, but there's a ton of stuff in Camlocks.

2. Camlocks are cheaper. The ones you note above cost $20 total just for one connection. I found that just too expensive. For a Camlock, from BobbyM for instance, the male connector is $4.00, the female camlock 10.50, or less than $15. They are a little cheaper at BrewHardware.

3. I read someplace that there's some question as to whether the QD hose disconnects are interchangeable when bought from different vendors. Spike's prices on these are high, IMO, but more to the point, would I have to buy these only from one source to ensure the parts would all work with each other? I didn't know, and this was an issue for me. I have camlock stuff from at least two vendors, both work fine with the other's stuff. This was one of those issues where...the only way to find out is to buy stuff from multiple vendors and see if it is cross-functional or not. Or buy everything from one vendor.

On the flip side: the QD's are easier, IMO, to use. I've gotten better with using the camlocks, but they're still a little fumbly for me from time to time.

If you went with the QDs, I'd make sure I ordered them from the same vendor. They are pricier, but that is what it is.

I have nothing to add to what Mongoose said. ^
Except, maybe, I love camlocks!

A few years ago I had read too that ball lock disconnects from different manufacturers may not fit together. That's not much of an issue if you use them paired.
Maybe that's not a concern anymore. The price has always been high, especially the female side.

Now, I had male disconnects on my (old model) Blichmann conical that I could not find "generic" female counterparts for. They have a skinny rim on the front. They work great as temporary, non-damaging "barbs" though, holding on well to a 1/2" silicone (transfer) hose.

I'm in the process of building a two vessel brewing set up. Does anyone have thoughts on these hose disconnects from Spike Brewing? I like the fact that they are a "one handed" design as opposed to cam-locks, but am curious if there are any downsides?

Here is a link to the male end of it:
https://spikebrewing.com/products/quick-connect-fitting-mqc-x-fnpt

And here is the female end:
https://spikebrewing.com/collection...ies/products/quick-connect-fitting-fqc-x-fnpt

Thanks!

Back