Thoughts on IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhodgson0739

Reaction score
Hey there. Brewed an IPA this weekend that went very smooth. I've brewed 6-7 batches but still feel like a beginner when it comes to recipe details. Wondering if this thing is going to be too hoppy. Brewtoad has it at 86 IBU and wondering if there is anything to do after fermentation? No big deal... still looking forward to trying it and seeing what needs to happen next time, but just thought I'd get thoughts on this and if any opinions on things to do before bottling. I do like hoppy IPAs, but wondering if my malt bill was too low. Thoughts?

Extract

Batch size: 5.0 gal - full volume boil 6.5 gallons

Boil time: 60 min

CARAPILS® 8.0 oz/Steep at 160 degrees 20 min
pale extract 8.0 lb Late Boil 20 minutes before end

Nugget 1.5 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Amarillo 0.5 oz 15 min Boil leaf 9.5%
Simcoe 0.5 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Amarillo 0.5 oz 5 min Boil leaf 9.5%
Simcoe 0.5 oz 1 min Boil Pellet 13.0%

Simcoe 0.5 oz 7 days Dry Hop leaf 13.0%
Amarillo 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop leaf 9.5%

Safale US-05 US-05 Fermentis 70.0% 60°F – 60°F

Irish Moss 0.1 oz 15.0 min Boil

I should also mention, I forgot late extract addition increases bitterness via hop utilization, so IBUs may be even higher than what brewtoad is telling me. Was really excited about this one as I'm controlling fermentation temps tight now, but worried I destroyed this thing with my hops addition.

Hey Cathedral,

I should rephrase: brew day went pretty smooth except shattered my hydrometer - so couldn't measure. Going off of recipe, it should be 1.059.

Thanks for the reply, I guess no tricks to smooth things out before bottling, huh? At this point, just bottle and see what comes out?

the recipe is high in bittering, but low on late hops. That means a very high level of bitterness but not much hops flavor and aroma.

It's too late now to change it, but if I was making that recipe, I'd hop more like this:
.5 ounce nugget 60 minutes (or to about 35 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz amarillo 15 minutes
1 oz simcoe 10 minutes
1 oz amarillo 5 minutes
.5 oz simcoe flameout
1 oz amarillo flameout
1 oz amarillo dryhop 5 days
.5 oz simcoe dryhop 5 days

Thanks, Yooper. Bummer. Oh well, live and learn. Guess I'll try again... I'll follow schedule you suggest for next one.

Hmm... I wonder if it's even worth bottling?

Hey Cathedral,

I should rephrase: brew day went pretty smooth except shattered my hydrometer - so couldn't measure. Going off of recipe, it should be 1.059.

Thanks for the reply, I guess no tricks to smooth things out before bottling, huh? At this point, just bottle and see what comes out?

It's definitely going to be bitter, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I, personally, like really bitter beers. 1.059 doesn't really have enough malt to balance it out and just counting off my fingers I'd bet your beer is going to seem like a 100+ IBU beer; it's too late to change the flavor but if you add another oz or two to the dry hop it will help you perceive a more flavorful beer. I usually dry-hop my beers with no less than 3 oz.

Hmm... I wonder if it's even worth bottling?

It's ALWAYS worth bottling. NEVER give up on a beer until you bottle it, taste it, and then, maybe, after you give it time and it just gets worse, then you either cellar it or wait a little bit longer and taste it and maybe THEN dump it.

Thanks all. Great advice and a great place to get feedback for new brewers like me. I'll kick up the dry hops, bottle it and see what happens. Maybe 1.5 oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo? Or even more?

Thanks all. Great advice and a great place to get feedback for new brewers like me. I'll kick up the dry hops, bottle it and see what happens. Maybe 1.5 oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo? Or even more?

3oz should be good. The blend is up to you. I personally prefer the aroma of Simcoe over Amarillo, so I'd do 2oz Simcoe and 1oz Amarillo. But that's all up to you.

Back