Thoughts on FFBC46F5LS to kegerator conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinlock

Reaction score
I have decided to start kegging after much advice from some local home brewers.

I went to Lowe's to look at the latest incarnation of the Frigidaire FRC445GB which is popular in conversion when I came across the Frigidaire FFBC46F5LS "Beverage Center": http://www.frigidaire.com/products/kitchen/refrigerators/ffbc46f5ls

It is ever so slightly larger, looks much more "clean" on the inside, and has digital temp control down to 33f ... plus it looks cooler and is real stainless steel. :D

I have searched high and low for info on this in the kegging world, but had no lock. I did find a few positive general reviews however.

Does any one have any thoughts or opinions on the suitability of this unit to do do a tower based conversion?

Thanks!

Well, I can tell you that if it works, it'll look really swank! Having an integrated temp control like that would be a godsend as long as it's accurate.
That being said, I have no idea how the coolant lines are run in this model, so I can't speak to how well a tower could be installed. If you're serious about dropping 5 notes on this fridge, I'd recommend trying to contact Frigidaire to see if they'll send you a diagram of their coolant lines. Failing that, you could try to find one out in the wild owned by someone who'd be willing to let you try the cornstarch/vodka test on it (I doubt too many retail stores would let you paint the top of their fridges with cornstarch and booze...), though the wiring for the temp controller could also be a concern if it's run through the top panel.
So long story short (too late), if you're able to determine that there's a 2-3" circle on the top that would be safe to drill out and you confirm that it will hold two cornies, full speed ahead! If you figure it out, make sure to take a lot of pictures of the build and make a how-to!

I went ahead and shot Frigidaire an email asking if they could help out.

I did look a little deeper and found the parts guide online: http://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodinfo_pdf/Anderson/5995574067.pdf

It looks like the evaporator coils are not embed in the case, but are just against the back wall of the unit, with lines running directly to the "bump". Additional, the control/ligh unit on top is only about 4" deep. It doesn't run all they way back to the end of the unit. It looks to be a module screwed to the top.

resize

I agree with being cautions with the cost, but I do have $100 in gift cards, a 10% off coupon, and its only $399 at the store :D

I converted, like many others, the frigidaire 4.4 cu. This model has about the same dimensions, slightly larger. It looks like the only coolant lines are on the back. I bet there are not lines on the top too, because of the digital temp controller. Just cut out some 8.5'' diameter cardboard pieces and take them to the store to see if two ball locks will fit.

Better polish up them kegs or everyone is going to be able to see your ugly junk. :)

@jmo88, I was thinking the same thing!

The 4.4 is right next to this model in the store. I will grab a tape measure from the tools section and see how it compares internally :D

As for the kegs, I picked up 2 new "shiny" Italian models as an upgrade to my equipment order.

@jmo88, I was thinking the same thing!

The 4.4 is right next to this model in the store. I will grab a tape measure from the tools section and see how it compares internally :D

As for the kegs, I picked up 2 new "shiny" Italian models as an upgrade to my equipment order.

Wow! if only my beer was served by two Italian models. My beer is served by two 40 year old banged up Americans that smell like root beer. :(

for that kind of money, you should be able to pick up a excellent used bev-air or true kegerator, tower and all. Unless you have the parts already, you are looking around another $150.00-$250.00 for the conversion, not including kegs.

Quick craigs list search in my part of the world turned up this, and several others.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/app/2180191499.html

You can always expand the tower later on if you prefer.

for that kind of money, you should be able to pick up a excellent used bev-air or true kegerator, tower and all. Unless you have the parts already, you are looking around another $150.00-$250.00 for the conversion, not including kegs.

Quick craigs list search in my part of the world turned up this, and several others.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/app/2180191499.html

You can always expand the tower later on if you prefer.

I just picked up a whole conversion kit, tower and all. I prefer the DYI over a used setup :D

I went back to Lowes last night tape measure in hand. It looks to be just shy of 17" wide due to the baffels that the shelves sit on and the back shelf has only 4" of usable depth. Needless to say its a gamble to get 2 cornys to sit side by side. Im going with the Sanyo SR-4912M instead.

Back