thoughts on double IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
I've never tried to brew a double IPA

Threw together recipe fast using hops I had – to clear inventory pretty much.

Double IPA

6.5 gal batch

90 min boil

19.5lb pale malt
5oz crystal 40
12oz corn sugar (all i had)

90 - 2oz Simcoe
60 – 1.3oz Cascade
30 – 1.3oz Centennial
5 - 1.3 Cascade
5 – 1.3 Citra
0 – 4 oz Citra

I had to add some DME to adjust.

Is it possible to boil table sugar and add it to fermentation? idk

I think I ended up at 1.075

I plan on ordering some cascade/citra for dryhopping. Not sure how much.

Would have rather bittered with Mag/Warrior

Looks firmly bitter with the simcoe @ 90

Were I to guess, it seems that about an ounce of Citra and two of Cascade would do it. The Citra already has a decided presence and with that much hops in there, it will definitely have a lot of aroma as it is.

should be nice!
I would have saved some of the Simcoe for later in the boil/FO/WP, and moved the 30 min to either 60/90 or 5/0. you can add table sugar while its fermenting. you already have 12oz of sugar in it so not too much more. another 12oz max.

dry hop - maybe sub the cascade with simcoe. they combo nice with citra. or like red lantern said, go 2:1 with cascade/citra

side note: your efficiency seems to be low. that amount of malt/sugar along with DME should have you higher unless your BIAB no sparge. check up on your mash/sparge/water/ph

you know that you can just use regular old cane sugar / white table sugar from the grocery store right? As TravelingLight said, you can add it to the fermentor if you arent happy with the OG

Also, I will say a prayer for the simcoe you wasted at 90min...god rest its soul

If the beer has not been made, and you have all those hops and want to use them, here is an idea:

12 oz demerara sugar(found in baking section of grocery store) added at about 10 min left in boil

.75 oz Simcoe @ 60
1.25 oz Simcoe at 20
1.0 oz Centennial @ 10
1.0 oz cascade @ 5
1.0 oz Citra @ 2

Flame out
1 oz cascade
2 oz citra

Hopstand/whirlpool for 40min @ 180°F using the rest of the cascade and citra

Order hops for dry hop.

You get a lot of hop flavor and a lot less boil time.

I would also pick a yeast with high attenuation rather than add more sugar when possible. You have already added corn sugar and for the volume, 19.5 lbs should get you to your SG target. If you already have a 1.075 SG, good attenuation will take it to 8.5% anyway.

Back