Those bastards!! Uh, maybe not.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gplutt

Reaction score
So I bought 4 kegs on eBay. I just got the tracking number, seeing how I bought them a while ago. Well, they were delivered on the 16th. Apparently someone else needed them more than I did and they decided to liberate them from my front porch. What the hell is wrong with people....:mad:

Guys you'll never believe this! I was in Seattle a few weeks ago, and I saw these kegs on the side of the road! I snagged em and score for me!

But seriously, file a claim with the shipper.

Bad time of year for ordering stuff. We had a case in Sunnyvale where people were following the UPS & FedEx trucks around in December and snagging everything that got left out.

Is the shipper responsible for leaving the item in the proper place and someone else stealing it?

I mean, what is to stop someone from buying a new LCD television and reporting it stolen, if the shipper is going to pay. Or a new B3 brewing system, or etc....?

Is the shipper responsible for leaving the item in the proper place and someone else stealing it?

I would never get a package, unless it was left on my front porch. Ups doesn't even knock anymore they just chuck it on the porch and zoom off. The only one responsible is the fool thief that stole your kegs.

I doubt the shipper is liable if the package was shipped without a signature requirement and you have in the past signed one of those UPS delivery notices saying that you authorize packages that don't require a signature to be left on your porch if you aren't home.

You could always ask merchants to ship with a signature requirement. Of course if you're not home, then UPS won't leave the package and will have to reschedule delivery, or you'll have to go to the UPS office to pick it up. There's a tradeoff between convenience and security.

UPS and Fedex both just leave it sitting on your front porch no matter if you have or have not signed anything.

The shipper is liable because they cannot prove that you received it without you physically signing for it. They could have lost the shipment and just put "delivered at front door" on the tracking and say it was delivered.

They deliver without a signature now because it costs them much less to take the chance of leaving it on your doorstep rather than the fuel and labor costs involved in redelivering all those packages because someone isn't home. If a small percentage of packages get stolen, then so be it...it's still cost effective in the big picture.

UPS automatically gives each package insurance up to $100 if there is no declared value above that. I don't know what Fedex does. I imagine that the shipper didn't declare the value of the package, so you will be able to get up to $100 back. If I am not mistaken, you have to get the shipper to file the claim.

I would say that you are better off not mentioning anything about the packages being stolen. I would just say that the tracking shows it was delivered, but you never received it and leave it at that. Let them run through their tracking procedures and then you will get your money.

Good luck.

UPS will also hand off a package to anyone who says it's for them -- as I learned when some #$@! swiped my ATM card number and ordered a bunch of stuff from QVC (including a video camera) and then waited in front of my apartment building for UPS to show up. According to the delivery records this happened about 10 minutes before I came out for work (though since I wasn't expecting anything I wouldn't have known what was going on anyway). When I called UPS to complain they said determining someone's identity isn't their responsibility.

So, the package may not have even made it to your porch...

Yeah, I don't really think its the shippers fault, but I'll call them and see what I can do. I am mostly angry because those kegs WEREN'T THEIRS TO TAKE, yet someone waltzed up my front porch and took a large box and walked away with it. I have two beers sitting in carboys waiting for those kegs....

For all you know they left it on the wrong porch in the first place. That's happened to me more times than I can count. Have the time, when I order from UPS, I have to knock on doors around my neighborhood until I find it.

That's just farking annoying. There was another thread on here about someone having a problem with UPS delivering their stuff to the wrong place. The general consensus was that if you make friends with your UPS guy, then it helps. My opinions is... aren't these guys being paid to do a job? Why should they only be expected to do their job right when it's one of their friends? If they don't know you, they can just dump your stuff off wherever they want? UPS SUCKS!

Actually, they were delivered on the 16th(if I'd been checking my emails I'd have known that)..I cannot believe they sat there for that long with nobody taking them...

I am glad to hear you found your kegs!

I do want to say that the shipper has a responsibility to put the shipment in the hands of the intended recipient and the onus is on the shipper to PROVE they have made the delivery. They are charged with delivering a parcel and leaving the package on your doorstep does not release them of their liability. As I mentioned before, they are taking a chance that it wont get stolen before you get home and that is why they have insurance.

I mean, what is to stop someone from buying a new LCD television and reporting it stolen, if the shipper is going to pay. Or a new B3 brewing system, or etc....?

The shipper (if it is UPS) has an automatic $100 insurance policy on every package. You have to contact the seller. The seller needs to call 1-800-Pick-UPS and file a claim. Usually within 45 minutes UPS oks the claim and the seller can send out another set of kegs. UPS will send the seller
a check for the stolen kegs. If the value is over $100 the seller should have added more insurance to the package. I think it is only 50 cents per $100 value.

So in effect, the buyer bought a set of kegs and UPS bought a set of kegs.

Forrest

That's just farking annoying. There was another thread on here about someone having a problem with UPS delivering their stuff to the wrong place. The general consensus was that if you make friends with your UPS guy, then it helps. My opinions is... aren't these guys being paid to do a job? Why should they only be expected to do their job right when it's one of their friends? If they don't know you, they can just dump your stuff off wherever they want? UPS SUCKS!

Don't blame UPS for a drivers error. They don't do it on purpose and UPS doesn't teach them to deliver to the wrong address. We have never had a real problem and we ship a whole lot of packages a year.

Forrest

Don't blame UPS for a drivers error. They don't do it on purpose and UPS doesn't teach them to deliver to the wrong address. We have never had a real problem and we ship a whole lot of packages a year.

Forrest

I have CONSTANT issues with UPS deliveries so I avoid them if I have a choice. I know they don't deliver to the wrong address on purpose. I just with they'd deliver to the RIGHT address on purpose at least twice in a row.

My wife has medical supplies she has to have shipped and we're tried of having to hunt them down at 8:00 at night because she really needs a new infusion set for her insulin pump and they were left sitting on someone's porch on the next block.

And when you call them, they are no help whatsoever. Sure, I can contact the seller and have them start a claim and in a few days we MIGHT have our stuff, if UPS doesn't lose it again. But that doesn't change the fact that we need it NOW and they should be able to call the driver and tell him to go back and get my package and deliver it like he should have done in the first place.

/rant

Forrest

Don't blame UPS for a UPS employee's error?! So you're saying that you are not responsible if I order 1lb of cascade hops and one of your minions ships me a fresh turd? You surely didn't teach your worker to take a crap in my package. It's the UPS driver's responsibility to do his job correctly. Why wouldn't UPS be liable for delivering a package to the wrong address, with or without malice?

I use UPS all the time and they rock compared to FedEx or the US Postal Service. I've shipped loads of stuff and have loads of stuff shipped to me without issue.

Poop happens and if you file a claim, it gets handled. Try that with the post office.

I have recently been having trouble with ups and fedx driving through my place and just pitching the packages. The dogs find them and end up chewing everything apart. I put up a box at the end of the driveway for deliveries to keep this from happening, but it seems this slows them down to much and they still pitch them in the yard.

Eh, I'm not blaming anybody..I should have been more on the ball looking for stuff coming in and checking my emails. The ups guys usually hide our stuff pretty well on our front porch and they knock to let us know something is there..I was mostly mad because I thought someone had ripped off my kegs from right in front of my house, but it turns out that wasn't the case, so I'm alright!

I think I'll rack my RIS and Dead Guy clone tonight.:tank:

Eh, I'm not blaming anybody..I should have been more on the ball looking for stuff coming in and checking my emails. The ups guys usually hide our stuff pretty well on our front porch and they knock to let us know something is there..I was mostly mad because I thought someone had ripped off my kegs from right in front of my house, but it turns out that wasn't the case, so I'm alright!

Doh!!!! OK, wipe the egg off your face. :cross:

I'm glad things worked out. Back to beer now. :mug:

Right! Egg removal first, then beer. Sanitizing two kegs right now, the RIS is going in first, then Dead Guy.

I think I am gonna put a web cam or something on the porch, though....

Still really lame that they left them on someone else's porch. Don't see why you have egg on your face over that.

I've had very good luck with UPS over the years. And, since I started helping with shipments at work, I know the UPS guy by first name AND have his cell phone number.

Also, if UPS threw boxes on my front lawn, I'd call the dispatch office and ***** them out big time!! That's just BS.

was label made out and addressed correctly? I get UPS and FedX packages and overnights all the time and the labels look a 3 year old wrote them / wrong street # and such. And face it some people have crappy penmanship.

Glad you got your stuff

So I bought 4 kegs on eBay. I just got the tracking number, seeing how I bought them a while ago. Well, they were delivered on the 16th. Apparently someone else needed them more than I did and they decided to liberate them from my front porch. What the hell is wrong with people....:mad:

Been there brother. Had $100+ worth of hops taken from my porch in a respectible neighborhood. Most likely, the shipper insured can recover cost from the loss and ship new kegs.

Latest posts

Back