"This stuff never happens here"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkwolf

Reaction score
Back story: This morning, a bomb threat was called in to the elementary schools in my hometown...small-town Iowa. Obviously, all 4 elementary schools were evacuated while the buildings were searched. A short time later, there was an attempted robbery at a bank about 15-20 miles away. The police are figuring that the bomb threat was an attempt to get all of the law enforcement in the county 'busy' with the schools.

And then the inevitable happened. One of my classmates posts something to the effect of "I thought I grew up in a small town where things like this don't happen"

Gee, it was just two short years ago a psychopath from Minneapolis rolled in to town, robbed a gas station, and shot the clerk (fatally) in the face, and then repeated the same thing 20 miles down the road -- admitting to the cops once he was caught that the only reason he shot them was so they couldn't ID him.

After some stupid crime like the above, any time I hear someone say "This stuff doesn't happen here", I want to punch them in the teeth, 'cuz GUESS WHAT?? IT JUST HAPPENED HERE. I don't know if it's naive or just plain f'n STUPID that makes people think small towns are immune from evil, but I have no tolerance for it.

<end rant>

Did the bank robber get away, at least for now?

Sounds like the robber has watched one to many bank robber/crime movies!

That's a good point. As though it would imply that somewhere in the world, this kind of stuff is what happens on a daily basis and people just deal with it as part of their daily lives.

It can happen anywhere. That's why I'm prepared. I won't be one of those helpless victims wondering why the cops don't save them.

We had the same issue in the town I grew up in a few years ago. Guys rolled into the local small town bank and held it up North Hollywood style, AKs and body armor. They escaped before cops could get there and then stole a farm truck a few miles out of town. The truck was found in a river later. All people could say was "This doesn't happen here." Well it did.

There was a guy a few miles down the road who killed his wife and cut her up into little pieces last year. Luckily he was stupid enough to call a friend to help him dispose of the remains who promptly called the law.

And then there's the guy who was forced to eat his own beard at gunpoint...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back