this should be a simple one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@doug293cz if you're willing to do some beer math, again, i just burst carbed two keg at 42f to 1.2oz's. i know if i tap them now, they'll be foam. but being that the perfect weight of co2, how long do i need to wait for the head space to actually dissolve in the beer? i don't want to hook up the gas now, because then i'll lose my hard earned shaken in co2.

(no check valves between my kegs, so it'd bleed into my other kegs.

so i guess what i'm trying to figure, if i was carbing at 50psi, how much time would it take to get to that ~2.1-2.2 vols i'm looking for? (i tried 1.5oz's, but even with 10 feet of 3/16 line, it was over carbed and was pounring foam, last two before these were flawless at 1.2oz's) so that i can hook the gas up at 10psi and serve?

i'm just really curious how fast i can tap them, being that i brought the beer down to serving temp before kegging. so they already have all the weight they need, and are cold.

@doug293cz if you're willing to do some beer math, again, i just burst carbed two keg at 42f to 1.2oz's. i know if i tap them now, they'll be foam. but being that the perfect weight of co2, how long do i need to wait for the head space to actually dissolve in the beer? i don't want to hook up the gas now, because then i'll lose my hard earned shaken in co2.

(no check valves between my kegs, so it'd bleed into my other kegs.

so i guess what i'm trying to figure, if i was carbing at 50psi, how much time would it take to get to that ~2.1-2.2 vols i'm looking for? (i tried 1.5oz's, but even with 10 feet of 3/16 line, it was over carbed and was pounring foam, last two before these were flawless at 1.2oz's) so that i can hook the gas up at 10psi and serve?

i'm just really curious how fast i can tap them, being that i brought the beer down to serving temp before kegging. so they already have all the weight they need, and are cold.
You could just agitate the kegs, disconnected from the gas, to get the headspace to equilibrate with the beer. Then let them sit for a couple of hours for the "shaken bottle" effect to go away. Since it's a dynamic situation, the math involves differential equations, and a bunch of specific variable values that we don't know.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
so my vibrator, broken pad sander, strapped to the side would help in the fridge? it didn't seem to get the kegs to take more co2 hooked up to gas, when warm (80f). but maybe at 42, with the co2 already in, it would give me a smooth flow into my glass? dissconnected from gas? (no i didn't mean to try and make a limirick, lol)

You only need to do a little agitation after the burst carb, once the beer is at serving temp, to quickly get any overpressure in the headspace to dissolve into the beer. No need to strap a vibrator to the keg in the fridge, and in fact it would likely be detrimental.

Brew on :mug:

fwiw, been in a rush to get the pipeline restarted and enjoy the fruits thereof, and did quick carbs on a couple of kegs this week. I don't use a scale, just set chart pressure then do the rocking thing, four periods totalling ~20 minutes, and poured a nicely carbed beer...

Cheers!

so my vibrator, broken pad sander, strapped to the side would help in the fridge? it didn't seem to get the kegs to take more co2 hooked up to gas, when warm (80f). but maybe at 42, with the co2 already in, it would give me a smooth flow into my glass? dissconnected from gas? (no i didn't mean to try and make a limirick, lol)

Yes, if you have charged the keg with the correct ounces of CO2, then agitation is the way to get it equalized.

Doing it by weight will prevent the beer from becoming overcharged.

well here's a pic 4th pour carbed at 11:30am, served at 7:30pm...1.2oz's co2 10' 3/16" line at 10 psi, it won't have as much head tomorrow, i'm guessing. but,

not too bad. at 3:30pm it still was foamy.

SUNP0108.jpg

Yes, if you have charged the keg with the correct ounces of CO2, then agitation is the way to get it equalized.

so if i get 1.2oz's into the keg then disconnect, i could get serving time down, if shook it for another minute? unhooked from gas?

that took about a minute to take the co2 at 50psi/42f. then i could just shake and roll another minute unhooked to get it to soak it up more? maybe rolling would be best? :mug:

I like to lay it on it's side, put my foot on it, and violently rock it back and forth.

Feels good on your feet, too, like a massage.

i've got a defunct sander. think i'll figure a way to strap it on and use it as a vibrator. see if speed up carb to pour.

Just vibrating will only promote gas dissociating from the beer and make pours even more foamy. You need to actually rock the keg to so that beer and gas will mix dynamically thus increasing the beer-to-gas interface.

Just vibrating will only promote gas dissociating from the beer and make pours even more foamy. You need to actually rock the keg to so that beer and gas will mix dynamically thus increasing the beer-to-gas interface.

so like a waltz and not the jitter bug. next kegs i'm going to carb then gently roll them without the gas hooked up. gently sit upright, then move to the fridge and wait an hour and see they pour.

so like a waltz and not the jitter bug. next kegs i'm going to carb then gently roll them without the gas hooked up. gently sit upright, then move to the fridge and wait an hour and see they pour.
It will be even more effective if you tango with it. Never underestimate the carbing power of a good dip! 🤩

Back