This might sound crazy! Possible fastferment permanent fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snidepath

Reaction score
Ok, as we all know the fastferment is the cheapest conical out there. Being cheap it has downsides. I'm luck since I haven't had major issues. The only thing I still don't trust is the lid. It seems to seal properly but I don't trust it. I may have a solution but need some opinions. I was thinking of using a 5 inch pipe test plug to completely seal the lid. Then my though was to drill a hole near the upper portion on the side. This is where my stopper and blow off tube would come out. This is the plug I'm looking at

https://www.zoro.com/cherne-industries-pipe-plug-mechanical-size-5-in-271551/i/G3154146/?gclid=CjwKCAjw9O3NBRB3EiwAK6wPT8GW4bQ0WeCuBEWe2YMLOJxbSQ6Lkp2FysgIhIlO7PQ8afCg9_fb9BoCnU8QAvD_BwE

What do you guys think? Could it work?

A 100% sealed lid seems unnecessary. During primary fermentation, the CO2 produced by the yeast will provide natural positive pressure; by the time fermentation finishes and CO2 production stops, the low residual sugars, hop acids, and alcohol content should inhibit any unwanted bacterial infection. IMHO, the most essential function of an airlock is to entertain "bubblegazers" who otherwise lack the ability to assess fermentation completeness.

Latest posts

Back