This might be a strange question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaderRabbit

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing and my partner mostly enjoys the beer I've made but he says drinking my homebrew makes him sleepy in a way other alcoholic drinks don't, including commercial beers.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Is there something I can do so that he doesn't feel the need to follow a glass of beer with a coffee chaser?

Most commercial beers are filtered to remove the yeast (and flavor, IMHO). The filtering may be the difference. Just give your friend a couple of beers and a pillow.

Maybe the alcohol level of your homebrew is higher then his usual commercial brew so it hits him harder?

This too. I've gotten used to my beer and when I go to a restaurant and buy a beer, I'm disappointed as there seems to be no alcohol at all in their beer.

Just to provide a quick update:

Lately I've been making less-hoppy beers but the other day I opened the last bottle of an American Pale Ale I made a while ago. After finishing it, he was struggling to stay awake. It looks like he's susceptible to he hops' sedatives. Thanks for the answers everybody!

Now, I wonder if there are any non-alcoholic drinks that have a lot of hops, some nights he needs a cup of sleepytime tea before going to bed, hops seem to have a much stronger effect on him.

Of all the problems in the world, having to drink a nice hoppy beer before bed doesn't seem all that bad. :)

Maybe it's the awesome abundance? When I'm ordering beers at a bar and paying a tab, that's one thing. When friends and I are at home and there are cases and cases of great homebrew, and it's flowing freely, ehhhh once or twice ive had a couple too many and gotten sleepy. Maybe that's just me ...

He can just make a tea from hops or he could try "Green Dreams" Lavender, Hops, Mugwort and Chamomile.

Back