This Is Ridiculous (Rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I know this is posted every other day, but its my turn to complain. Sorry in advance...

My LHBS is ridiculously terrible. It has to be run by the most self-centered, mean spirited people I've ever met (and I've dated sorority girls...)!

Every time I go in there its like I'm going into a small, owner-operated record store that only sells music by bands like The Locust and old Johnny Cash bootlegs and they constantly judge you for wearing something that isn't black, previously owned or leather...

I mean, there are only two people there who actually know about brewing, the other "employees" are all about "indoor gardening" and hydroponic "produce."

I ask a question and they look at me like I just asked them to give me their first born or something.

Today I went in there full of friggin' sunshine and rainbows because I was buying my first keg to start my foray into kegging (the new haier 4.6 cu. ft. mini fridge from best buy was a steal and it fits two cornies, hazzah!) and they gave me a dented keg (even though I saw some clean looking ones) and talked down to me like I was in preschool.

Never again, I say, never again shall I buy from there!

Ok, just needed to get that off my chest...

At least you have an LHBS. Many people do not! IIWY, I'd let the owner know how you feel. Most of the time, online shopping is cheaper...tell him you'd be glad to move on to NB, etc. Probably won't mean anything, but at least you tried.

Sometimes it's good to know where you stand. Looks like they just lost business. There are several reputable vendors on here that could probably sell you what you were getting form your LHBS cheaper.

If you're looking for cornies definitely seek out beverage/soda distributors in your area. I have a great LHBS, actually two, and the employees are not shy about telling me much I'd save from going to a soda distributor rather than their own store.

Or you can use the classifieds here. I'd be surprised if your LHBS sold you cornies cheaper than some guys in the classifieds here. I recently bought 4 completely reconditioned cornies from the classifieds and the outside was totally cleaned/polished...all in great shape and not too expensive.

OK, I know this is posted every other day, but its my turn to complain. Sorry in advance...

My LHBS is nonexistant, and I have to order everything online and plan brews weeks/months in advance. If I realize I'm out of something mid-brew, I'm up $hit creek, sans paddle.

Yeah man, I feel your pain.

Oh wait, no I don't. ;)

IMO, It's not worth patronizing shops that give you the bad vibe. I NEVER go back to a place (store, restaurant, etc) where I feel I've been treated badly or ripped off. Sometimes I even write a letter explaining why I will NEVER spend my hard-earned money at their place again.

Dont worry, that is a big part of my life and Im surprised when folks actually dont treat me like a dingbat or a criminal.

I've been to the LHBS your talking about. Its where I got my brother set up with his brewing equipment. I wasn't impressed either...

Today I went in there full of friggin' sunshine and rainbows because I was buying my first keg to start my foray into kegging (the new haier 4.6 cu. ft. mini fridge from best buy was a steal and it fits two cornies, hazzah!) and they gave me a dented keg (even though I saw some clean looking ones) and talked down to me like I was in preschool.

You let them do that. If you wanted a better keg, you should have refused the one they pulled for you. When they talked down to you, you should have told them to piss off and went somewhere else.

You let them do that. If you wanted a better keg, you should have refused the one they pulled for you. When they talked down to you, you should have told them to piss off and went somewhere else.

I am fully aware that I am in control of my own actions and I did do that, man.

The response, "That's the best one we've got."

But, thanks for the solicitude, baldy...

The point was that there's no reason to be rude to someone for walking into their store and its one thing to say that the people running the place are having a bad day or something but its another to feel like you're being judged the minute you walk in every time.

I've had mixed experiences with my LHBS. I think that on-line prices combined with good shipping deals are most certainly the way to go. Then again, sometimes you just get an idea for a recipe or need something small and don't feel like waiting 4-6 business days for it. In any case, that doesn't mean you should be treated like a lesser person!

The point was that there's no reason to be rude to someone for walking into their store and its one thing to say that the people running the place are having a bad day or something but its another to feel like you're being judged the minute you walk in every time.

I've experienced that at my LHBS, but to a much lesser extent. Occasionally you'll go in there and get the vibe that they don't want your dirty kind around, like your an amateur that isn't going to spend very much and won't know what to do with what you purchase anyway. That's rare though and it really depends on who's working that day. Most of the time they treat me with respect, especially since they realized that I'm a regular who has a bit of a clue what he's talking about. If I had to deal with your situation I'd tell them to take a flying leap and shop at one of the many great on-line suppliers.

My LHBS is ridiculously terrible. It has to be run by the most self-centered, mean spirited people I've ever met (and I've dated sorority girls...)!

Every time I go in there its like I'm going into a small, owner-operated record store that only sells music by bands like The Locust and old Johnny Cash bootlegs and they constantly judge you for wearing something that isn't black, previously owned or leather...

I mean, there are only two people there who actually know about brewing, the other "employees" are all about "indoor gardening" and hydroponic "produce."

I ask a question and they look at me like I just asked them to give me their first born or something.

I feel your pain.

Living in Ottawa i have a choice between 5 or 6 LHBS and closer to 20 FoP's that will sometimes sell particular things they use in house.

I have met some of the most degrading and stuck up scumbags there. Ones that you can't even call out because your getting sick. I make wine more then beer (although that's changing) and I have used both kits and grapes with success. Then an owner won't sell me acid blend to add to a juice pail that I purchased earlier because "he tested and balanced everything perfectly and I'm just going to muck it up" After a short argument I simply replied "well you never did a very good job" and he asked me to leave.

Another guy told me that if you add DME to a pre-hopped beer kit you will ruin it. I actually believed him. The same guy sold me beer bottles that never used a standard sized cap. So i go to return them and the sale is final...this time i exploded and i thew 2 cases in the store and the remaining 2 cases in front of his store leaving a massive mess of glass. While I may have over reacted I feel better and i understand he no longer carries those bottles.

Wonder why small business is failing in both Canada and the US. The customer is always right seems to be long forgotten; replaced with another business model. Give me the big corporate store chains where at least if I'm unsatisfied...I get my money back.

Vote with your money. :mug:

I have met some of the most degrading and stuck up scumbags there. Ones that you can't even call out because your getting sick. I make wine more then beer (although that's changing) and I have used both kits and grapes with success. Then an owner won't sell me acid blend to add to a juice pail that I purchased earlier because "he tested and balanced everything perfectly and I'm just going to muck it up" After a short argument I simply replied "well you never did a very good job" and he asked me to leave.

Another guy told me that if you add DME to a pre-hopped beer kit you will ruin it. I actually believed him. The same guy sold me beer bottles that never used a standard sized cap. So i go to return them and the sale is final...this time i exploded and i thew 2 cases in the store and the remaining 2 cases in front of his store leaving a massive mess of glass. While I may have over reacted I feel better and i understand he no longer carries those bottles.

Those are two pretty ridiculous stories... I wouldn't even think about going back.

I have mixed feelings about my LHBS, the guy is very laid back, helpful and friendly, but a couple of weeks ago printed a couple of NB recipes for my first AG's and bought the ingredients at LHBS. I had to substitute a couple ingredients and paid almost twice what it would have cost me at NB. I think I'll still stop in from time to time for last minute/minor items, but get my ingredients online.

I guess I'm lucky. The LHBS I go to has great service, great selection of fresh grains, hop pellets and all of the WL strains. They have a Crankenstein that I use every time (they let me grind my own; honor system) and get awesome efficiency, every time. The guy recently gave me some Simcoes (that were not in the display fridge) because I'm a good regular customer. There is hope in this strange world...

we have one good LHBS store and one not so good. the one is owned by the wife of the brewer for Barley's and seems to have a good knowledge of brewing even though she appears to be a wine enthusiast. Always good selection of yeast, hops and grains. However over last year, has increased prices significantly. grains are 2.50lb, smack packs are now 8.95 and hops were $4/ounce last time i bought a little magnum in the early fall. I don't mind paying a little more when i need something quick as i like to support locally and she knows me on a first name basis and we talk when i come in. Great store and I recommend. However, i was in two weeks ago and was turned off that she is now charging $35 for a quart of Star San. 100% than online retailers that are taking a markup. I almost asked her why, but refrained as I can drive 9 miles down the road and get it at a less than desirable place for $19 and not have to have that conversation. To each his own. The first time I felt like I was being talked to in a condescending manner, as you stated, I would pack up my bags and not have a problem spending my money somewhere that appreciated it. :rockin:

The same guy sold me beer bottles that never used a standard sized cap. So i go to return them and the sale is final...this time i exploded and i thew 2 cases in the store and the remaining 2 cases in front of his store leaving a massive mess of glass.

If I ever get back to Ottawa, I want to party with you! :mug:

The Brew and Grow shop in Roselle is OK but when I go there doesn't seem to be anybody that knows about brewing there, they are nice and ask if I need help though. The HomeBrew Shop in St. Charles has really nice people and they help you out a lot. The one in Crystal lake is set up fairly nice and has some nice stuff, but most of the people there care more about the healthfood store (which is the main floor).

Man. I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to my LHBS. Luckily, they have been very good to me. I don't know how the prices compare, but it's nice to have some place to shop when we go to the big city besides shoe stores and clothing stores.

I bought a pin lock corney there last year and when I went back to get more, they had switched to ball lock only (That's all the new supplier could get) When I mentioned that it would be nice to have only one type she said bring the pin lock in and exchange it! I'm sure they could sell it easily enough. But I might save it for a friend instead. We shall see. I think it's currently holding 5 gallons of apfelwein that needs bottling.

But I digress. I would not shop there or at least hold conversations with the owners/workers if they are rude that way. I'm surprised that some of the rude people work at "grow" store. Maybe you are just harshing their mellow, dude.

I wouldn't go back there either. There are too many great online stores that will probably be able to beat your LHBS's prices and service.

I guess I'm spoiled having both Midwest and Northern Brewer as my LHBS.

I wouldn't go back there either. There are too many great online stores that will probably be able to beat your LHBS's prices and service.

I guess I'm spoiled having both Midwest and Northern Brewer as my LHBS.

THAT is awesome. I wish i had biggies like that here in Ottawa.

:mug:

Oh how I hate the Brew & Grow. It's only a mile from my house and I still go all the way to the southside to make any major purchase.

If you haven't used the keg yet, I say return it. I know there's some people in the chicago group that are looking for someone to go in with them on buying some kegs. I just got some co2 tanks, so I'm interested myself. If we get a couple people to buy some together, it'll cut down on shipping.

The Locust:rockin:

I had a terrible experience the first time I went to boston's LHBS. The guy was an absolute ass and answered every question with "well thats a matter of personal opinion" and refused to give his opinion. I've since been back many times and have never seen him again. Now the guys there give great advice and have given me some amazing recipes.

My local lhbs is only good for beer bottles and an occasional carboy his prices are about 10% higher than online on ingrediant and he only has dry extract and has to order everything else and he is over a half hour away and only open on saturday morning's I was hoping to get a sack of grain from him and he wanted $80 so 99% of my shopping is online

I may start going the online route as well if BevArt doesn't pan out for me. I also need to find a good keg supplier in Chicago, which probably isn't that hard, as I'm sure my "I'll only need two kegs" mentality will quickly change...

I may start going the online route as well if BevArt doesn't pan out for me. I also need to find a good keg supplier in Chicago, which probably isn't that hard, as I'm sure my "I'll only need two kegs" mentality will quickly change...

Kegs are like Pringles. Once you pop you can't stop.:drunk:

IMO, It's not worth patronizing shops that give you the bad vibe. I NEVER go back to a place (store, restaurant, etc) where I feel I've been treated badly or ripped off. Sometimes I even write a letter explaining why I will NEVER spend my hard-earned money at their place again.

I totally agree. in fact I just did the same thing with Subaru. if they don't realize you are helping to keep them in business with your dollars then f*ck'em

I just read this whole thread and it made me infinetly grateful for my LHBS. The guy has been in business for 14 years, and as best as I can tell, has one employee, one day a week. Although his selection of kettles and high-end set ups is limited, he's always got an excellent selection of fresh hops, grain and yeast, (all of which are cheaper than anything I've seen on the internet) not to mention a wealth of brewing information and advice. The store is Olympic Brewing, in Bremerton, WA for those in western Washington. If you live and brew in the area, look him up - Bill will greet you with a smile.

+ Lazybrew
I love my homebrew shops here in Eugene, OR. Valley Vintner is a 10 minute stroll from my house. When I get there I'm always greeted with a "Hey Steve" and often am treated to a sample of their latest demo brew. The prices are higher than online, but reasonable and they fly through most stock. I often get Maris Otter straight from the deliver truck.

Back