This is about pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pizza I made. I like cooking the pepperonis in advance so they are crispy. I'm going to have to make a meat lovers.
mypizza-63812.jpg

I miss the deep dish meatball pizzas from Godfather's Pizza in Cinci. Had a top crust with more sauce & cheese. The kids loved it when they were little.

I love all kinds of pizza. Had a real Chicago style pie last year and LOVED it. Was a totally different experience from the other kinds I've had.

Deep Dish pizzas are for places that don't know how to make a proper dough, so they build a massive trough to house an abundance of sauce, cheese, grease, & toppings to mask their crappy dough recipe.

Pizza is in the crust.
imo of course. :)

Those look REALLY good. Deep dish is the only way to fly IMO. Used to be Waldo's pizza in Rochester MN where I grew up, but then they overexpanded and went belly up. St Cloud still has one small shop that has reverted to the original recipe. So I'm trying to get something like that. I have a good from scratch dough recipe at home (looks pretty similar to some of those above). And the sauce I have is good.

However my pizza cheese just plain sucks. I've tried various mozzarella cheeses from the grocery store and some other types as well. None of them have any consistency when you cut through it. It doesn't seem to re-solidify like some of the better ones. Anyone have tips for a really good and tasty pizza cheese?

Back to crusts, I like medium, pan, and some thin crust pizzas too. I'm not a complete pizza snob. But me lovva the deep dish :)

I like to mix motz with aged provolone most often as not. Amish smoked aged provolone is even better. Or sub Fontina for the motz. Creamy goodness.

Those look REALLY good. Deep dish is the only way to fly IMO. Used to be Waldo's pizza in Rochester MN where I grew up, but then they overexpanded and went belly up. St Cloud still has one small shop that has reverted to the original recipe. So I'm trying to get something like that. I have a good from scratch dough recipe at home (looks pretty similar to some of those above). And the sauce I have is good.

However my pizza cheese just plain sucks. I've tried various mozzarella cheeses from the grocery store and some other types as well. None of them have any consistency when you cut through it. It doesn't seem to re-solidify like some of the better ones. Anyone have tips for a really good and tasty pizza cheese?

Back to crusts, I like medium, pan, and some thin crust pizzas too. I'm not a complete pizza snob. But me lovva the deep dish :)

The joint I worked at for 20 years, off and on, and off again, uses smoked provolone. It really sets it apart from the chains, and from pretty much every other pizza.

When working with pizza dough, or any yeast dough for that matter, does anyone else get the overwhelming compulsion to have a beer during? Not sure if its the smell of the yeasties and a Pavlovian response thing ... or just alcoholism

Anyway, that Chicago pizza looks mighty tasty.

Austin, do you ever eat at Home Slice? they have some friggin awesome (NY style) pizza!

When working with pizza dough, or any yeast dough for that matter, does anyone else get the overwhelming compulsion to have a beer during? Not sure if its the smell of the yeasties and a Pavlovian response thing ... or just alcoholism

Anyway, that Chicago pizza looks mighty tasty.

Austin, do you ever eat at Home Slice? they have some friggin awesome (NY style) pizza!

Umm, YES, quite ofen beer or wort goes in the dough:rolleyes:

Anybody wish to share their homemade sauce recipe? Never found a good recipe so I typically use baboli sauce.

If you ever want to try something different this is always a great pizza. Way back when i CO-OPed in Greensboro, NC during college had this pizza at a restaurant called Pie Works.

Called The Scott and it is a sauces less pizza.

Pre Cook dough for 5 minutes. Then add a little cheese on top of the dough. Then place thinly sliced roma tomatoes as your "sauce". On top of that layer add thinly sliced red onion rings and thinly sliced green pepper rings. Then add canadian bacon and sausage (I use Jimmy Dean Regular in the tube cooked and crumbled). With each layer of veggie and meat add a little mozzarella cheese as you go. I use about 2 cups of cheese total.

Then brush the crust with butter and sprinkle with Shredded Parmesan/Reggiano Cheese and a little garlic salt. My kids never ate the crust so I started to doctor up the crust for me and my wife. Now the kids love the doctored crust!!

Then bake at 450 until cheese is bubbly.

Anybody wish to share their homemade sauce recipe? Never found a good recipe so I typically use baboli sauce.

If you ever want to try something different this is always a great pizza. Way back when i CO-OPed in Greensboro, NC during college had this pizza at a restaurant called Pie Works.

Called The Scott and it is a sauces less pizza.

Pre Cook dough for 5 minutes. Then add a little cheese on top of the dough. Then place thinly sliced roma tomatoes as your "sauce". On top of that layer add thinly sliced red onion rings and thinly sliced green pepper rings. Then add canadian bacon and sausage (I use Jimmy Dean Regular in the tube cooked and crumbled). With each layer of veggie and meat add a little mozzarella cheese as you go. I use about 2 cups of cheese total.

Then brush the crust with butter and sprinkle with Shredded Parmesan/Reggiano Cheese and a little garlic salt. My kids never ate the crust so I started to doctor up the crust for me and my wife. Now the kids love the doctored crust!!

Then bake at 450 until cheese is bubbly.

I personally use this sauce recipe and like it a lot: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

I look for san marzano whole peeled tomatoes, and I also add anchovies to the sauce per one of the first comments.

My personal recipe is a lot like the one kraken posted, but ive never made mine with onion in the sauce...will have to consider this...:D

Thanks. Have it printed out to try next time!

Happy to help. Also, with the whole peeled tomatoes, I just dump the can into a large bowl and crush the tomatoes with my hand. Just get in there and squish them up, they'll sorta ooz between your fingers and it leaves just the right amount of chunkiness, no need for a blender or food processor. Do the squeezing underneath the liquid level in the bowl, otherwise tomato juice will squirt all over the place.

My personal recipe is a lot like the one kraken posted, but ive never made mine with onion in the sauce...will have to consider this...:D

Note that the onion and basil in this recipe is discarded after simmering and before placing on the pie. The onion halves is some sort of trick, I don't know much about it, never tried a side by side to see if it really makes a difference, I took their word for it. He has a write up describing how he came up with the recipe.

Back