This batch aint so good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bytor1100

Reaction score
This last batch of stout is the first batch that I'm not liking. It's still way too sweet for me. The OG was 1.079 and the FG was 1.033. I've got it kegged right now, but I don't know if I can drink this stuff.

Any reccomendations?

1.033 as a FG? I would think that would be pretty sweet as well. Are you sure it was done?

Give it time to age. It should get better. What was you recipe?

Yeah it had plenty of time to ferment, then sat in the secondary for about 3 weeks.

7.00 LB Dark Malt Extract Syrup
3.00 LB Dark Dry Malt Extract
1.00 LB Crystal 80L
0.50 LB Roasted Barley
0.50 LB Black Patent

1.50 Cascade 60 min
1.00 Saaz 60 min
0.50 Cascade 7 min
1.00 Saaz 7 min

white labs Irish Ale

That's only 58% attenuation; I doubt it was done fermenting.

Time's not the only factor behind whether a beer is "done" or not; it's done when it's done. You might have needed to rouse the yeast.

Bytor1100 said:
Yeah it had plenty of time to ferment, then sat in the secondary for about 3 weeks.

7.00 LB Dark Malt Extract Syrup
3.00 LB Dark Dry Malt Extract
1.00 LB Crystal 80L
0.50 LB Roasted Barley
0.50 LB Black Patent

1.50 Cascade 60 min
1.00 Saaz 60 min
0.50 Cascade 7 min
1.00 Saaz 7 min

white labs Irish Ale

How long is "plenty of time" exactly?

Sound like you had a stuck fermentation and you should have resolved that issue prior to kegging and secondary. Probably not much you can do now to fix it.

It sat in the primary for two weeks. It noticely stopped after about a week and hydro readings stayed the same.

Well, would it be worth it to rack back into a carboy and pitch new yeast? I know I run the risk of oxidation, and not sure exactly how well the new yeast would work.

There's no way you really finished that fermentation. You should have, at least, several gravity points left to drop. Those flocculant yeasts can do that to you if you do not keep them roused or get them too cold.

How long has it been in the keg?

TL

yeah I was debating wheter it was done or not, should have went with my gut feeling.

It's been in the keg for about 3 days.

I would just take it out, bleed the keg a bit (not all the way), shake it up good in the keg, and let it set at room temperature for about a week at room temperature. See if it improves that way. It is a long shot, but it might.

If that doesn't work, you could rack back to a fermenter and pitch some dry yeast. For raching, you could probably just run your beer line straight into the fermenter (assuming everything is well sanitized). You might need to bleed it down and push with low pressure, though.

High gravity beers are tricky sometimes.

TL

If you do decide to re-pitch, I would recommend a starter to increase the yeast cell count. I imagine pitching a small amount of yeast to an already oxygen depleted wort/beer wouldn't help as much...

Bytor1100 said:
Will a starter work well with dry yeast, or should I use liquid?

I hope I'm not throwing a monkey-wrench into this, but most dry yeast I know of don't need a starter. Just pitch it in, give it a gentle swirl and it works. I'd use the almost indestructible Coopers dry yeast. At this point I wouldn't be too picky, just save the batch if you can.

Good luck. :)

brewNdrink said:
I hope I'm not throwing a monkey-wrench into this, but most dry yeast I know of don't need a starter. Just pitch it in, give it a gentle swirl and it works. I'd use the almost indestructible Coopers dry yeast. At this point I wouldn't be too picky, just save the batch if you can.

Good luck. :)

I always proof or rehydrate dry yeast just to make sure that they can make it. Got a bad packet of Coopers and it sat there for three days before I pitched a starter to it.

Give me more details about your hopping/grainbill and lmk if you want to trade some of it.

Sounds like something that I'd like to turn into a chocolate cake/brownie/chocolate sauce for desserts, or better yet stout pancakes!/stout pancake syrup/stout butterscotch syrups...especially if there is a lot of residual sweetness.

I could also imagine a stout bbq sauce and stout squaw rolls (dark brown yeasty bread rolls).

lmk.
Jody

I've got it racked back into a carboy and letting it rise to room temp and I'm going to pitch some new yeast into it.

This would probably be good to cook with. When I was tasting it, the first thing that came to mind was syrupy. But it still has a good deal of alcohol kick.

Well, I rehydrated a pack of nottingham and pitched it this morning. I'm already getting airlock activity and looks like some krausen is starting to form. I've going to leave it upstairs with temps 66-68 until it finishes.

Back