Thirty Hours In The Smoker!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
SWMBO wanted the biggest bird we could find this year, so I found one at just under 22 lbs. Yesterday, I realized that it'll take THIRTY hours +/- on the smoker!!! :eek:
I'm putting it in the brine late this afternoon, and starting the smoker tomorrow morning.

sweet mary mother of christ... whatever you do make sure you use a light smoke and wrap that bird up tight... I'd also think about glazing it as well

Hmmmm...my smoker cookbook could be wrong! I just looked on-line, and most recomend about 30 min. per lb.!

At what temperature will you be smoking?

You may want to spatchcock it. I've never tried it, but supposedly all the cool kids use this technique for big birds.

Smoking time depends on the size of the turkey, the distance from the heat, temperature of the coals, as well as the outside air temperature. You can roughly estimate about 20 to 30 minutes per pound of turkey, but it's important to use a meat thermometer to be sure your turkey is thoroughly cooked. The turkey is done when the food thermometer, placed in the inner thigh, reaches 180° F (be sure the thermometer is not touching the bone).

Or, 160 degrees deepest part of the breast. How hot do you plan to smoke?

This also, if you are smoking for 30 hours:

Food safety is of primary concern when smoking turkey. Turkey breasts, drumsticks, wings and whole turkeys are all suited for smoking, although for safety's sake, stick with whole turkeys that weigh 12 pounds or less. A larger turkey remains in the "Danger Zone" - between 40° F and 140° F for too long

This is from the interwebz, but it sounds legit. I'll bet your bird will be done in less than 12 hours, depending on the temperature you smoke it at.

At what temperature will you be smoking?

I'm HOPING to keep it around 250, but the weather guesser's are calling for temps in the low 30's overnight tomorrow

You may want to spatchcock it. I've never tried it, but supposedly all the cool kids use this technique for big birds.

The bird's too big. I'm using a bullet smoker.

Why not smoke it for a few hours to get the smokey goodness and then finish it off, wrapped heavily, in the oven to speed up cooking time and save it a bit from drying out?

Yeah, I hear ya... "oven" is a dirty word but... 30 hours??? 30 hours in a smoker makes me think of jerky.

I didn't cook a 240 lb pig that long.

Sweet Mama!

I'm grilling (not smoking) a 12 pounder in the Big Green Egg on Thursday. I usually do a Mexican brine and rub, but this year I'm foregoing the brine and will be griling and glazing the bird. Should only take three and a half hours at the temp I'm doing this.

No offense but smoking a turkey for 30 hours isn’t going to yield good results. And, as was posted, it’s borderline dangerous from a serving standpoint. I’ll be cooking one outside (green egg) about the same size and I don’t expect it to take much more the 7 hours. I’ll be cooking at 350*. Low and slow isn’t necessary when it comes to poultry. Ramp your heat up… use lump charcoal and leave your water pan empty. Good luck.

As I said earlier, my smoker cookbook has the cook times at 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hrs. per lb, but at temps around 200-225. I'm going to start out (hopefully) at a higher temp (starting at around 300, and keeping it at 250), and go with everything else I've read, 30-40 min. per lb. That brings it down to about 11 hours.

Why not smoke it for a few hours to get the smokey goodness and then finish it off, wrapped heavily, in the oven to speed up cooking time and save it a bit from drying out?

Yeah, I hear ya... "oven" is a dirty word but... 30 hours??? 30 hours in a smoker makes me think of jerky.

I didn't cook a 240 lb pig that long.

I agree with this completely, in the first few hours you'll develop all the smokey flavors you need. No need for a big smoke ring on poultry ;) I even do this with my pork shoulders, between 6 and 8 hours on the smoke, then finishing it in the oven. Makes the house smell awesome :)

Turkey, all poultry actually, should not be cooked low and slow like pork or beef. Why? Because the point of low and slow, i.e. 225F, is to break down connective tissue in tough cuts of meat. Poultry does not have that problem. Thus, your bird should be smoked at about 325-350. It should take about 5 hours at this temp for your 22lb bird to be done. Also, it is better to get 2 smaller birds then one big bird when smoking them... Check out these sources, lots of great info:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkeyselect.html#cookertemp

Back