Thinking of getting a corny keg, and have ??'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panfishrfun

Reaction score
Well I'm getting interested in purchasing a corny keg, or two. I don't know if I want to keg every batch, or just some batches I can use for a party/BBQ/camping etc. that will get drank quickly, or have a little left, and can drink the rest later. I was looking at the little CO2 chargers to put on them instead of a tank, and I was wondering if I carbonate the keg with priming sugar, and use the CO2 cartridges:
1 - How long can a keg last?
2 - How will the quality change (diminish?) over time?
3 - How can you control the PSI without a gauge?
4 - Does it matter if I use a static relief valve or a manual relief valve?

well i'm getting interested in purchasing a corny keg, or two. I don't know if i want to keg every batch, or just some batches i can use for a party/bbq/camping etc. That will get drank quickly, or have a little left, and can drink the rest later. I was looking at the little co2 chargers to put on them instead of a tank, and i was wondering if i carbonate the keg with priming sugar, and use the co2 cartridges:

you could do that but you will have the yeast settle in the bottom of the keg like it does in a bottle meaning you will have to pour off a few glasses. Buy yourself a 10 or 20lb tank for force carbing and use the cartridges for travel.

1 - how long can a keg last?
hours to years, depending on how thirsty you are.
2 - how will the quality change (diminish?) over time?
maybe but it will still be beer. I had some go "off" during a move that included extended storage. I still am drinking them though.

3 - how can you control the psi without a gauge?
if you don't buy a tank, regulator and guage, you can just give enough pressure to pour and keep a head of pressure on to keep it carbonated.

4 - does it matter if i use a static relief valve or a manual relief valve?you don't have a choice the kegs come as they come. I like my ball-lock kegs better cause they are taller and skinnier and i can get one more in the keezer.

c

Thanks for he response, I've done some more research and I'm leaning towards using a paintball gun CO2 tank

Paint gun tank is just a larger portable CO2 dispenser. Not really appropriate for force carbing, but great for taking a keg to a friend's house or camping. You might have to pay $10 bucks or so to fill it, and maybe $30 to fill a 20 lb CO2 tank. If you like beer the 20Lb-er will pay for itself over time.

For what it's worth, I use a paintball tank and regulator exclusively. I can get a fill on the spot, at a couple of sporting goods places around town, until like 9:00 at night. The fills usually run between $3 and $4 for 20 oz. I have two tanks, if one runs out, I have the other and I just fill the first whenever I make a run down near the sporting goods place (I recently ran dry on both though, through my own laziness). Although it hasn't happened to me (yet), if I have a leaky connection, it makes me feel better knowing I have a backup and I won't be wasting 5-10 lb of CO2.
It works fine for force carbing, just uses the tank up faster than a 5 lb or 10 lb tank.

Check where/how you'll fill your tank. If I had a place that was just as easy to fill a bigger tank, I'd go with a bigger tank. As it is with me, I can't beat the convenience of my fills and it really isn't too much more expensive.

Hi

Spend some time on Craig's List. I suspect you will find a CO2 tank plus regulator for a pretty good price if you watch for a while. Life is much easier with gauges and a regulator.

Bob

Latest posts

Back