Thinking about getting a Grainfather...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robc311

Reaction score
So I've made about 6 extract batches since I got back into brewing and they've all been quite good but I think I'm starting to understand what extract twang is. All of my beers have had a certain something that is hard to explain...kind of reminds me of when I had soda in Europe which was made with sugar versus soda here in America which is made with corn syrup. The European stuff was more crisp while our soda here is syrupy tasting. Anyway, I just got a decent bonus at work and I think I'm going to take the plunge and invest in a Grainfather. I've done a lot of research and I know it's not perfect but I think it would be great for my needs.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has used one or has any input. I want to go all grain and I think this is the best option for me right now.

I would not necessarily skip the grainfather but I would look into brew in a bag. It's cheap and gets you into the all grain brewing circle. It's a very cheap investment instead of spending almost $1000 on the grainfather.

I have looked into BIAB but what I failed to mention is that I absolutely hate boiling on my glass top stove...it really limits the size of my pot. I also don't have any interest in getting a propane burner. I think the all electric aspect is the biggest draw for me when it comes to the Grainfather and other all electric setups are way more money.

I have a grainfather and love it. Go to the electric brewing forum and read the grainfather thread and then decide.

I do BIAB myself (stove top natural gas) but I was over at a friends for a brew day and was pretty impressed with his Grainfather. It takes a long time to get to temperatures, but it is pretty hands-off so it's not like you have to stand there. We actually did a batch on his Grainfather and a 10 gal batch on his propane system at the same time and never felt like we were juggling too much. If I had something that made brewing that easy, I'd definitely brew more often.

grainfathers seem nice, everyone has opinions like everyone has...well you know....

i'd prob grab a bruha electric controller with the dsp easyboil pid. & electric element. & grab a brew in a bag kettle setup from stout or similar &brewboss has the cheapest price for kettle) that already has the element port. & be set. prob be in the ballpark of the grainfather pricewise, maybe a buck or 2 hundred more.

i own one, and to be honest its a great unit. Ya sure its expensive but it comes with everything and shes ready to go. To the people who complain about to little heating power, put some pots on the stove while your heating mash water and dump them in. Boil takes slightly longer then your sparge usually but IDK.

Im an apartment brewer and being able to pack this baby up and shove it in my closet is worth every penny.

And the chiller works awesome.

Back