Thinking about a carbonated cyser, questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpilot

Reaction score
Edit: bringing the questions up top.
  • Any suggestions or anything I missed?
  • Are swingtops reliably OK for carbonation?
I am thinking about doing a semi-sweet carbonated cyser, 9-10% abv. I have a few cysers under my belt, but this is the first time I will use erythritol to sweeten (rather than stabilizing and back sweetening with honey), and the first attempt at carbonating.

Primary
After fermentation and secondary
  • Erythritol to taste
  • Wine tannin to taste
  • Acid blend to taste (not expecting to need it)
Bottling
Any suggestions or anything I missed? Are swingtops reliably OK for carbonation?

Last edited:
All I can contribute is about swing tops. I’ve carbonated cyser in them. I’ve never had it happen to me but Ive heard that upon over-carbing the seals fail before the glass does which is bittersweet.

best of luck!

All I can contribute is about swing tops. I’ve carbonated cyser in them. I’ve never had it happen to me but Ive heard that upon over-carbing the seals fail before the glass does which is bittersweet.

best of luck!

I have a closet covered in dark purple blackberry melomel stains that prove otherwise ;-)

I have a closet covered in dark purple blackberry melomel stains that prove otherwise ;-)
I literally at this moment have several swingtops in my hodge podge ordinance disposal set up: large stainless pots with large stainless mixing bowls on top because I tried to pasteurize and they started fizzing like crazy. I’ve popped the seals several times to release pressure but they’re still going.

I am learning…. That I am a grade A dingus.

This one is currently in the secondary, fermented nicely. Unfortunately, I have now had the joy of experiencing pectic haze.

It drops lees nicely in the primary, but it has hardly changed in cloudiness in the secondary. After a week in my cold crash room (a cold, unheated portion of our house, basically refigerator temps right now), there is a slight dusting of lees on the bottle, but the cyser remains very hazy.

Why did this happen? Two reasons that I see:
  1. I was basically out of pectic enzyme, but dumped in what I had. I believe it about a half dose (I didn't actually measure it.)
  2. I also put the pectic enzyme and the bentonite both in at pitch. Apparently I should have waited a day or so before adding the bentonite?
Anyway, some more pectic enzyme is on order, which will hopefully clear the haze. The ABV is less than 10%, so hopefully the alcohol will not impede its effectiveness.

Back