Think this messed up my Tilt reading (spoiler - yes it did)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been using my Tilt for a year now. I really like it, and I'm used to having some krausen stuck to it when I pull it out, but this was a new one. 21 grams (yep, I weighed it) of krausen stuck to one side. It must have been in the right place to make the Tilt float more vertical. I was brewing a Scottish Export with White Labs WLP002 (English Ale), which has a pretty high attenuation, but I was getting gravity readings of 1.002 which was way off what I was expecting. Just filled the keg today and F.G. came in at 1.010, which was what I was right where it should be.

Tilt Gunk.jpg

Glad you've had (mostly) good results from the Tilt. But having it off by 10 points, even once, gives me pause.

I just don't think some device left in a fermenter to its own devices (see what I did there?) is going to be something I want to rely on. Too many things going on that could distort the readings.

There was a recent thread where someone observed the gravity reported by their Tilt going down, then up, then down again. The overall curve of gravity vs time came out ok, but that's after the fact. I would want to know the actual FG at a given point in time during fermentation.

Glad you've had (mostly) good results from the Tilt. But having it off by 10 points, even once, gives me pause.

I just don't think some device left in a fermenter to its own devices (see what I did there?) is going to be something I want to rely on. Too many things going on that could distort the readings.

There was a recent thread where someone observed the gravity reported by their Tilt going down, then up, then down again. The overall curve of gravity vs time came out ok, but that's after the fact. I would want to know the actual FG at a given point in time during fermentation.
Yeah, I consider it as much a toy as a tool, but it has been pretty accurate for the year I've had it. I brewed a Golden Ale with it that showed a f.g. of 1.009 and my hydrometer said 1.008. I brewed a double IPA that finished at 1.010; the Tilt said 1.012. It's had krausen on it every time (don't know how it can't), but this was the first time it wasn't more of a uniform layer. I've also learned to take my initial Tilt reading before I aerate (I use oxygen with an aeration stone). That really seems to mess with the Tilt readings until the foam settles down.

It's fun to watch the gravity points drop, and I do use it to decide when to start letting my fermentation temp rise, and when it looks like fermentation is complete. But for my "real" readings I use my refractometer and/or hydrometer.

Back