think my beer'll be all right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
so I made a light ale to test my brewery a few days ago

1oz 6.8% Challenger
10 lbs Pale
US-05 yeast

i drove an hour home with my freshly acquired grains, got everything set up, only to realize they weren't crushed. not wanting to crush them all by hand I looked up alternative methods and ended up blending. I did this with two batches, but the other one I let mash for almost 2 hours, and doesn't have the off flavors this one does.

so anyway, it's an extremely grainy taste, definitely not tasty (though im just bottling it now), which I right deserved for not crushing my grains right.

does this grainy taste go away or lessen at all with age? is there anything I can do about it?

If you only brewed it a couple days ago and are tasting it now there in lies the problem....You need more time to determine the outcome :)

well I brewed it about 2 weeks ago.

and i understand the "wait and find out" thing, but if IIRC things like phenols only get worse with age, so I'm wondering if that's the case...

Did you do an iodine test? I didn't on my first AGs, and it turns out I didn't get conversion. So there was a lot of starch in my beer, giving it a grainy taste like you describe. I'm guessing the one you mashed for 2 hours doesn't have this off flavor because you got conversion.

my guess is that crush method really shredded the husks and you got a lot of tannin extraction. is it a little astringent tasting on the tongue?

Back