Think I messed up my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmb0513

Reaction score
I made a starter with snaffle us 05
For some stupid reason I pitched my yeast at 95
It is bubbling away but should i worry about off flavors?
it will be 2 weeks before i can get a replacement packet
what are your alls thoughts?
Thank Randy

Relax!
The instructions have alway said to slowly let it rehydrate at 80F +/-6F for 15-30'. That's 74-86F. Then stir for 30'.
I don't think you killed it. Bring temps down to 80F, though, ASAP.

For the actual growth phase, room temps (68-74F) are recommended. The higher end of the range a little faster.

Why did you make a starter?

Bubbling is a good sign!
How long ago did you pitch the yeast and when did you discover your error?

In starters you don't have to worry about off-flavors. It's only a small amount of starter beer you'd be adding to a batch. Or none at all if you first cold crash and decant, which is pouring the clear starter beer off the top, leaving the yeast slurry behind on the bottom. Then pitch the whole slurry, or save some out.

How big is that starter you made? Is it on a stir plate?
When are you going to pitch it into your main batch?

Bubbling is a good sign!
How long ago did you pitch the yeast and when did you discover your error?

In starters you don't have to worry about off-flavors. It's only a small amount of starter beer you'd be adding to a batch. Or none at all if you first cold crash and decant, which is pouring the clear starter beer off the top, leaving the yeast slurry behind on the bottom. Then pitch the whole slurry, or save some out.

How big is that starter you made? Is it on a stir plate?
When are you going to pitch it into your main batch?
Thanks
it is a 2 quart batch I'm making a 10 gallon batch
I noticed my mistake almost immediately
I was planning on using it today but can wait until this sunday

I made a starter with snaffle us 05
For some stupid reason I pitched my yeast at 95

Dry yeasts like US05 don't really benefit from making a starter. They contain more cells than liquid and they are packages with everything needed for growth in you wort.

Yeasts like it warm. 95 is just a comfortable temperature for the yeast. The fact that it is bubbling should tell you that,

Should you worry about off flavors? Of course. OK, that's long enough to worry. Starters purpose is to make enough cells to ferment the beer cleanly. 2 quarts of off flavor in 10 gallons of beer will not be noticeable. Since you have already spent time worrying about it, instead of just dumping in the entire starter, you can cold crash and decant the liquid but I wouldn't bother. Dump it all in and do it today while the yeast are very active.

Thank you for your replies
The only reason I'm making a starter is the fact I only had 1 pack of yeast (my brew shop is 50 miles away) on hand and am making a 10 gallon batch which requires 2 packs

Thank you for your replies
The only reason I'm making a starter is the fact I only had 1 pack of yeast (my brew shop is 50 miles away) on hand and am making a 10 gallon batch which requires 2 packs
Im not sure I would say it REQUIRES two packs. Whats the OG of the beer? I would say anything around 1.060 would be fine in all honesty. Look at some of the pitch rate experiments on Brulosophy. Some of their stuff may shock you. One that comes to my mind was a ~1.095 RIS 6 gallon batch with one package of yeast. IMHO as long as other aspects are in order, underpitching is a concern that is overblown.

Back