Things I've said

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^Congrats!^ Going on 46 years come April 16th I thought I was an outlier :mug:

I don't have an SWMBO, I have a The Spousal Unit model, which takes the long view on all things :)

Cheers! (Honestly, I'm lucky AF!)

When starting "this will be a cheaper way too drink/have beer"
Now i'm trying to make labels, kegging, increase the size of my system. Fair to say the average cost of making a beer is infinite.

Last edited:
Can someone remind me what a swmbo is, and how that might affect brewing?
She who must be obeyed

I think the first use of the phrase was by H Rider Haggard in his novel She. Sometime in the 1880s. The acronym seems to have started popping about the time the internet got going.

A swmbo affects brewing in a bunch of ways. For example, if she is p----d off while I am brewing, my yeast go into hibernation instead of fermenting!

Thanks for that, Mark. My 20 year relationship / 14yr marriage also doesn’t fit with the SWMBO thing, but I do get that folks are probably exaggerating for fun.
Keep kidding yourself, bro. Once you get used to the manipulation, you don’t even notice it anymore.😑

About a month ago I bought a new false bottom for the mash tun, as the last shot in my locker to improve efficiency (it did, in spades). Husband saw the Amazon order and wasn't too happy; it was only about $40, much less than the $65 one it was replacing. He doesn't brew himself, and only helps if I need something heavy lifted, and didn't understand when I told him I needed it. Mainly because when we bought the first one (one of those on legs, turns out it was too high so all the grain wasn't getting enough soakage {yes that's a word, trust me}) he's the one who insisted we get it, after I saw the price and put it back. That, and he doesn't get how I can go through a 55# sack of grain in about a month. But for the most part he supports what I do, as long as what I brew is something he likes.

“I can buy a homebrew shop and do that instead of my job”.

I really hated my job at the time. But that shop turned out to be a money pit and a loss of tens of thousands of dollars - I’m still not even sure of the real total loss. I had to declare bankruptcy when I closed it. Lasted a little less than 4 years.

It’s really something how so many people TALK about supporting their local shops then run out and buy something online because it’s 50 cents cheaper.

“I can buy a homebrew shop and do that instead of my job”.

I really hated my job at the time. But that shop turned out to be a money pit and a loss of tens of thousands of dollars - I’m still not even sure of the real total loss. I had to declare bankruptcy when I closed it. Lasted a little less than 4 years.

It’s really something how so many people TALK about supporting their local shops then run out and buy something online because it’s 50 cents cheaper.
If you took it online, I’d buy from you.

She who must be obeyed

I think the first use of the phrase was by H Rider Haggard in his novel She. Sometime in the 1880s. The acronym seems to have started popping about the time the internet got going.

A swmbo affects brewing in a bunch of ways. For example, if she is p----d off while I am brewing, my yeast go into hibernation instead of fermenting!
Hahahah you'll have to perform yeast screams to make your yeast happy if your wife is making it upset

While I got a good woman around, defiantly not a swmbo. But that goes both ways, neither one of us would likely "obey" each other, but constructive criticism, sometimes, and helpful pointers, usually, freely exchanged. {;

Hopefully you are right, Dan, about the exaggeration that is,....

Funny thing about one aspect of homebrew, one of the household chores my gal usually does includes recycling & household garbage. She used to have to dump a significant volume of beer bottles into the recycling dumpster.

No more of that since I home brew and keg,,,, so many benefits....

While I got a good woman around, defiantly not a swmbo. But that goes both ways, neither one of us would likely "obey" each other, but constructive criticism, sometimes, and helpful pointers, usually, freely exchanged. {;

Hopefully you are right, Dan, about the exaggeration that is,....

Funny thing about one aspect of homebrew, one of the household chores my gal usually does includes recycling & household garbage. She used to have to dump a significant volume of beer bottles into the recycling dumpster.

No more of that since I home brew and keg,,,, so many benefits....
I hear ya on dumping the recycle; every time I did it the resounding crash through the neighborhood just screamed "Hey, we drink a LOT of beer!!". So embarassing.

......(B)ut that goes both ways, neither one of us would likely "obey" each other, but constructive criticism, sometimes, and helpful pointers, usually, freely exchanged.

Yeah, if there's one thing I've learned after 50 years of marital bliss (in about 8 months), don't ever use the word "obey". I once teased her about the, "Love, honor and obey," part of the marriage vows, and she replied,

"That's for Baptists, and we're Lutheran! Now obey ME and take out the damn trash."

Hard to argue with that logic. Especially since I get to keep all my beer toys guilt free.

Brooo Brother

Yeah, if there's one thing I've learned after 50 years of marital bliss (in about 8 months), don't ever use the word "obey". I once teased her about the, "Love, honor and obey," part of the marriage vows, and she replied,
"That's for Baptists, and we're Lutheran! Now obey ME and take out the damn trash."
Hard to argue with that logic. Especially since I get to keep all my beer toys guilt free.
Brooo Brother
It's all a trade-off. The definition of relationship should include "putting up with each other's crap". I'm lucky she's put up with mine for 37 years. All I have to do is implement what she plans and life is good.

Back