Things I Used As A Kid that Are No More

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Technology is beginning to pass me by so I started to think of all the things that were a daily part of my life that are no more. Please add if you see fit.

1) Rabbit Ear Antenna
2) Rotary Phones
3) 5 digit phone numbers
4) Walkman
5) 8 track tapes
6) LPs, ELPs and 45s (if you don't know what these are, this is not the thread for you)
7) Atari
8) Mimeographed school work that got you high
9) Writing letters
10) Betamax
11) Video discs (damn didn't they suck)
12) Coleco/Matell Football

uhh, whats an 8 track.....and those black things that look like over sized cds that spin round and round?

I did have a walkman when I was a kid tho!

whatever happend to getting your propane tank filled...not exchanged for a full one?
or popcorn from a popcorn maker instead of it coming from the microwave bag

uhh, whats an 8 track.....and those black things that look like over sized cds that spin round and round?

I did have a walkman when I was a kid tho!

whatever happend to getting your propane tank filled...not exchanged for a full one?
or popcorn from a popcorn maker instead of it coming from the microwave bag

Were you an ait popped popcorn kid or old school, fire up the oil in a pan and pop the heck out of the pop corn?

Also forgot
13) Floppy discs
14) Calculator watches
15) Mood rings

il_430xN.79641145.jpg

Not only did they hold a case of soda (in glass bottles) but, they made a pretty good stools for old men to sit on outside the fillin' station.

Oh, but vinyl is still very much alive. I grew up on tapes and CDs, and I'm slowly but surely making the change to vinyl now. The sound is sooo much better.

Also: Floppy discs that were actually floppy

the old atari 2600, space invaders,asteroids and missle command. how about the mr. football, that spring loaded football throwing gadget. and the lawn darts (jarts as I recall) were always a hoot :ban:

The dial to change TV channels (or radio stations)
Typewriter
Pinto station wagon
The giant Sears catalog that was bigger than the LA phonebook
Apple II
The ability to use spare change as gas money

How about news reels in the theaters of the closing months of WW2? Or walter Winchel on radio (tv was still in the laboratory stage). Tom Mixx? How about aluminum tax tokens at 3 for a penny. Or a snikers big bar, coke, coffee, or cigar for a nickle....

How about news reels in the theaters of the closing months of WW2? Or walter Winchel on radio (tv was still in the laboratory stage). Tom Mixx? How about aluminum tax tokens at 3 for a penny. Or a snikers big bar, coke, coffee, or cigar for a nickle....

Easy now, old-timer! ;)

Oh I miss the smell of a fresh mimeo!

btw... I still have my Atari 2600! Anyone wanna come over and drink beer and play Combat?

How about pop machines where you had to put in your money then you'd open the little door and turn the crank thing next to the pop you wanted?

How about pop machines where you had to put in your money then you'd open the little door and turn the crank thing next to the pop you wanted?

How about the ones where you slid your pop along a track (the neck was in the track with the bottle hanging below), the lifted it out through a one-way gate?

Tom Mix was before my time, but remember those Sat. morning shows - Hopalong Cassidy, Cisco Kid, etc. ?

How about the ones where you slid your pop along a track (the neck was in the track with the bottle hanging below), the lifted it out through a one-way gate?

Tom Mix was before my time, but remember those Sat. morning shows - Hopalong Cassidy, Cisco Kid, etc. ?

Yeah, and the ones with no track, the bottles sitting in water. how 'bout
riding a steam powered train because that's all there was.
Or coal fired furnace
Or using an Ice Box where the ice blocks were delivered to your house
Or a 26" balloon tire bicycle with wide white wall tires
Or roll caps for your steel pistol.........:)

Candy Cigarettes.

I was in Virginia City Nevada a couple years back and a candy store had them and i bought like 2 cases and gave them out to my friends and everyone remembered them as kids.

Adults back then had remote controls. They were called kids. I remember my dad telling me to go change the channel all the time.

Atari 2600 !!

A "boom box" (plastic portable stereo with 2 speakers, casette player, and AM/FM radio. Lugged that thing everywhere.

Roller skates (lace up, with big orange wheels)

+1 on vinyl LPs, although I still do listen to some old records from time to time, just for nostalgia sake.

NeHi pineapple soda (pop)
Green River soda (they still make Green River but it's made with different sweetener and flavoring now, which makes it taste like household cleaner)

Mechanical pinball machine (used to love this old "Captain Fantastic" pinball machine they had at the ice rink where my brother played hockey)

"Vertical hold" on a television set. The old black-and-white set I had in my bedroom, if you sneezed the picture would start rolling up the screen.

Cigarette vending machines. A smoking area at the high school (they removed it the year before I went).

EDIT: Five-digit phone numbers. There's still a few old-timers around, I ask them for their phone number and they just give me the five digits, it always throws me off and I have to ask for it again.

EDIT: Five-digit phone numbers. There's still a few old-timers around, I ask them for their phone number and they just give me the five digits, it always throws me off and I have to ask for it again.

+1 I only remember this because it's the way my grandmother would refer to old phone numbers. She would use the "exchange" followed by the numbers. :)

That little "Computer/TV" slide switch you would have to use on the back of the TV if you wanted to play Atari.

Be Kind - ReWind.

Not sure about the 5 digit phone numbers, but when I was a kid we only dialed 4 digits for local calls.

How about...

Nobody ever wearing a seatbelt? I remember taking long car rides and sleeping on the ledge in the back window while going down the highway.

Back