Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doesn't really apply to me now, but when I was on my ship, the married with kids guys got precedence with liberty over the single guys when we were in homeport. and that was OK, because the single guys got precedence in other ports

When I was on active duty I regularly took the crap shifts on holidays etc. for my fellow Marines.

What I had an issue with was the attitude that since I'm single with no kids, I couldn't possibly have anything worthwhile to do with my time.

If you've been at sea for six months, absolutely let the married folks and new fathers off first.

When I was on active duty I regularly took the crap shifts on holidays etc. for my fellow Marines.

What I had an issue with was the attitude that since I'm single with no kids, I couldn't possibly have anything worthwhile to do with my time.

If you've been at sea for six months, absolutely let the married folks and new fathers off first.

yep. My buddy, with the awesome nickname "Scupper" had a wife and kid, one of us would have to be on board during holidays and post-deployment leave, I always gave him the first choice of which of the 2 leave periods to take.

I also have an issue with those who don't think drunken revelry is worthwhile. the nerve of some people

definitely let fathers who had never seen their newborns off first.

Well, back to the boring old "What annoys you" thread... Group hug!

I am a vendor so I go into a lot of businesses and there is always the one "supervisor" on second shift that has the job of carrying the clipboard around and watches the workers. Not really a supervisor or a manager but a "lead" of some sort. If you are one of those, here is the link to the Butt Hurt complaint form, this aint gonna be pretty.

Why is it that these predominately small people, often with some sort of impediment act as if they are the reincarnated General Douglas Haig (look it up) and are willing to add stress to my life without any particular purpose? Don't you have something worth while to do? Your boss authorized me to work there and they are paying me a lot of money to fix your building because you are too incompetent to figure it out yourself.

I am a vendor so I go into a lot of businesses and there is always the one "supervisor" on second shift that has the job of carrying the clipboard around and watches the workers. Not really a supervisor or a manager but a "lead" of some sort. If you are one of those, here is the link to the Butt Hurt complaint form, this aint gonna be pretty.

Why is it that these predominately small people, often with some sort of impediment act as if they are the reincarnated General Douglas Haig (look it up) and are willing to add stress to my life without any particular purpose? Don't you have something worth while to do? Your boss authorized me to work there and they are paying me a lot of money to fix your building because you are too incompetent to figure it out yourself.
Little man syndrome.

Aka "Little dog syndrome", "Angry short man syndrome"

Well fix it right then! 30 degree temperature swings when no one is jacking with the thermostat is not right. That's not condensation from the roof drain. That's a damn leak. Door butlers have arms. And have to be set. Right. And how about you measure those doors with something other than your hand and the eye you can't see out of? And are you ever coming back with those missing drawer pulls?

Yeah. We've some crappy vendors and contractors.

And if it's a little man who is also bald, the guy has to try twice as hard to overcompensate. Nothing good can come from a bald-headed runt boss.

95d82a8db19b36cac9bc421fa1a4d2b1.jpg

Pin heads who insist on taking off every Thanksgiving and Christmas, with no kids at home, purely because older workers screwed them the same way. Now we try to accommodate people with young kids at home. If they can't have off, give them an eve shift or mid shift and let them leave early so they can spend that important time with their family. I used to have two co-workers who didn't mind working Christmas, one was Jewish and the other Muslim. The Jewish guy transferred to another facility.

The same 'pin heads' who take Christmas off just to sit at home with their kids. I used to work Christmas but now that I want to visit family and don't have kids I request Christmas off 6-8 months in advance so the people who just don't want to come to work can call in sick.

Oh and the powerball/lottery stuff. I tell people I'd show up because coming to work without any concern of being fired could be fun. I'm also the age of some of their kids.

Oh and the powerball/lottery stuff. I tell people I'd show up because coming to work without any concern of being fired could be fun. I'm also the age of some of their kids.

I would too. Not that I dislike what I do (well, depends on the day), but working part-time with the ability to say whatever I want because I don't "need" the job would be much better.

working part-time with the ability to say whatever I want because I don't "need" the job would be much better.

This is the definition of retirement for me. My plan is still to be at this point by 55 (It was 50 before I got divorced). My industry has a lot of well paid contract work where I can pull a 6 month gig and be set for the year (or more).

Add to that, some of my (non-brewing) hobbies can be money makers...Heck, I just had a realtor offer me a full time gig prepping houses for sale (all the little stuff) after seeing what I did for two different friends that had to accept jobs out of state after the prolonged strike here at the refinery. None of these could provide the level of income I am used to but more than enough to support me with no debt and a paid off house.

Powerball/lottery? I'd open an old school diner like my grandfather used to take me to every Sunday for breakfast. One row of booths and one row of bar stools. Eggs/bacon/toast/hashbrowns/coffee. A place everyone can afford to eat a decent meal. Lottery or not. Still can dream. Some day, maybe.

Powerball/lottery? I'd open an old school diner like my grandfather used to take me to every Sunday for breakfast. One row of booths and one row of bar stools. Eggs/bacon/toast/hashbrowns/coffee. A place everyone can afford to eat a decent meal. Lottery or not. Still can dream. Some day, maybe.

I'll run the griddle and make the muffins/cakes. Really starting to wonder if I should have been a chef/cook instead of a cube jockey....

$20 million would be my tipping point. below that I would keep my job, above, I would quit

and that would be gross winnings, after taxes

I'll run the griddle and make the muffins/cakes. Really starting to wonder if I should have been a chef/cook instead of a cube jockey....

Once a month or so, our masonic lodge has a pancake breakfast that I will cook for. I usually jump in on french toast/eggs/omelettes. I love cooking for people that appreciate and just want real food. Cooking in a restaurant chain however, can be hell. Nobody cares about you. The food has no love. Just collecting a paycheck.

I'd end up giving most lottery winnings away to people who needed it more.

I work at a place with a lot of single guys and I (wife and three kids) am very sensitive to this type of thing. The last thing I want is resentment. I'm not leaving before you because I have a family, that's just not fair.

I work at a place with a lot of single guys and I (wife and three kids) am very sensitive to this type of thing. The last thing I want is resentment. I'm not leaving before you because I have a family, that's just not fair.

the type of attitude which would make me not mind at all if you DID leave before me

it's the pricks who feel entitled to who don't deserve to

$20 million would be my tipping point. below that I would keep my job, above, I would quit

and that would be gross winnings, after taxes

$20? Jesus, you guys must be raking in some serious dough if that's what it would take for you to quit.

$3 Million for me. Annual return of 4% on that would be $120k before taxes. That would keep me in a nice place in low cost of living areas, but I'd provably try and buy a few - one for skiing, one for beach/coastal living, one for the woods/seclusion.

I don't dislike my job aside from feeling slightly underpaid, I just don't need the stress.

Well fix it right then! 30 degree temperature swings when no one is jacking with the thermostat is not right. That's not condensation from the roof drain. That's a damn leak. Door butlers have arms. And have to be set. Right. And how about you measure those doors with something other than your hand and the eye you can't see out of? And are you ever coming back with those missing drawer pulls?

Yeah. We've some crappy vendors and contractors.

Yupper, I'm the guy that comes in and fixes what the name brand (Franchise) vendors break or can't/won't do.

Door butler? UK?

Roof leaks are tricky, I am a trustee of my church as well and we had a "leak" that took us three years to locate, yes, THREE years! It turned out that it was in fact a cold water pipe that supplied the restrooms on the upper floor, it was in the ceiling (lower floor) in the old part of the building in a wall where the builders of the new building decided to use the void as a cold air return (not code) so when the toilets were used and hands were washed, condensation from the very humid return air would drip from the pipe and follow the air return tin some 50 feet away from the pipe to a light fixture located about a foot from a skylight...

Not a roof leak at all, just some insulation and a a tin box around the pipe (compromise with the building inspector) fixed it.

Your 30° could be a as easy as someone blocking the thermostat with a coat, opening a door to cool the space allowing the thermostat to heat the space more because of the falling temperature or the use of a space heater in the room causing the thermostat to cool the room more.

HVAC is dumb, it just does what we make it do, simple physics.

And no, I am NOT coming back with those drawer pulls, it wasn't specified in the agreement...

I tell you, I've been buslhitting in this thread here and there, but this is the truth:

People who show up to work under the influence of an extremely nasty virus.

Biological attack against your coworkers should be punishable by - well, all sorts of things...

$20? Jesus, you guys must be raking in some serious dough if that's what it would take for you to quit.

$3 Million for me. Annual return of 4% on that would be $120k before taxes. That would keep me in a nice place in low cost of living areas, but I'd provably try and buy a few - one for skiing, one for beach/coastal living, one for the woods/seclusion.

I don't dislike my job aside from feeling slightly underpaid, I just don't need the stress.

$3M (after taxes) I'm probably keeping my job. At least for a few years. About double that is quitting money.

Remember that once you have no job, and a lot more leisure time, expenses go UP. Every day is vacation ;-)

$3M (after taxes) I'm probably keeping my job. At least for a few years. About double that is quitting money.

Remember that once you have no job, and a lot more leisure time, expenses go UP. Every day is vacation ;-)

I've factored that in: ski passes are a fixed cost (in that they only need to be purchased once a year.)

Chances I would end up working again, just not my current line of work.

I tell you, I've been buslhitting in this thread here and there, but this is the truth:

Biological attack against your coworkers should be punishable by - well, all sorts of things...
This thread has been going long enough, I can't remember if I've mentioned her or not, but...

We used to have an PART-TIME accountant in our office that would routinely use up her sick leave almost as fast as she earned it. Now, keep in mind, she only worked until 1:30 every day - but she would routinely (like, every two weeks) schedule chiropractor appointments at 12:30. Why she couldn't move them back to 2:00, we never could figure out. But needless to say, she never had ANY sick time built up, so when she DID get sick (about every 4 months), she came to work. And shared.

I've factored that in: ski passes are a fixed cost (in that they only need to be purchased once a year.)

Chances I would end up working again, just not my current line of work.

I would have to work at least part time to not drive my wife crazy and just to keep my brain active.

$10m sounds really good, pay off loans, set up kids for college stash most away for retirement and donate to rest to charities like mikeroweWorks.

We have a girl working at my work whose job it is to sit at the front desk of our little 4 desk (help desk) office and say hello to those that do by for help and maybe hand out the occasional password or cell phone. She burned up her entire 3 week balance of combined sick and vacation in the first two months. She somehow managed to talk the powers that be to let her take lwop when she needed to stay home afterwards. This year she has yet to get a full paycheck once and has been absent from 3-4 days per month all year. And to think she is complaining about not getting paid enough and wants to move into a position on the help desk.

We have a girl working at my work whose job it is to sit at the front desk of our little 4 desk (help desk) office and say hello to those that do by for help and maybe hand out the occasional password or cell phone. She burned up her entire 3 week balance of combined sick and vacation in the first two months. She somehow managed to talk the powers that be to let her take lwop when she needed to stay home afterwards. This year she has yet to get a full paycheck once and has been absent from 3-4 days per month all year. And to think she is complaining about not getting paid enough and wants to move into a position on the help desk.

we have a new employee (the one that throws any/everyone under the bus) that makes a lot more than all us "old" employees, thanks to the new heads. today they were complaining that they need a raise. they already brag about how much more they make an hour than the rest of us. almost all of our newer hires are like that. and we have to train them how to do what we're doing, including how to weld in some cases. I just got my anal (because I feel like we're getting flocced) review and was told I could work on my attitude with the new hires. yeah, that's not gonna happen as long as I have to train new hires to do maybe a quarter of what I do and have to listen to them brag about their wages. the real problem is this is the best job in my area right now. I'll deal with it, but I don't have to smile when they shove large objects up my review.

I remember one of my Navy reserve buddies worked for Fuji bank at the WTC. His boss (as well as many of his co-workers, was Japanese) gave him a lot of schist because he missed a day of work with one of those nasty week long virus infections. "You are not dedicated to the success of this business!" Let me stay home and be a little less infectious so this way the whole floor isn't out... He got the opportunity to get what everyone else was having too.

we have a new employee (the one that throws any/everyone under the bus) that makes a lot more than all us "old" employees, thanks to the new heads. today they were complaining that they need a raise. they already brag about how much more they make an hour than the rest of us. almost all of our newer hires are like that. and we have to train them how to do what we're doing, including how to weld in some cases. I just got my anal (because I feel like we're getting flocced) review and was told I could work on my attitude with the new hires. yeah, that's not gonna happen as long as I have to train new hires to do maybe a quarter of what I do and have to listen to them brag about their wages. the real problem is this is the best job in my area right now. I'll deal with it, but I don't have to smile when they shove large objects up my review.

Sounds like you just need to take a vacation for a while and let them see just how much they miss you.

Sounds like you just need to take a vacation for a while and let them see just how much they miss you.

I doubt they'd miss me too much. all the new heads glare at me and some of the old heads do the same.

edit: every place I have ever worked has made it a point to tell the employees that we're all replaceable at any time. but the next breath they claim to care about all of us and our families. more reason I hate people.

I doubt they'd miss me too much. all the new heads glare at me and some of the old heads do the same.

edit: every place I have ever worked has made it a point to tell the employees that we're all replaceable at any time. but the next breath they claim to care about all of us and our families. more reason I hate people.

Then ain't no choice but to be happy.

5.jpg

Back