Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a coworker complain to management because I hooked him up with a paid break. That's right. I let him get paid to drink a coffee and he wasn't happy with it. For those wondering it didn't even come from company coffers, so our company didn't lose money either.

A guy on a different shift than me has the biggest heart, but possibly the smallest brain. Here's a couple things he has said.
1. His little watchman portable tv worked better when we got 3G.
2. He hoped the storm in North Carolina didn't blow back to us in KY. (We just experienced that storm from two days earlier. Guess he thought the jet stream might change directions.)
3. His wife left their GMC Yukon running for a couple hours since she locked her keys in it. By the time he got home to unlock it the windows were so hot you couldn't touch them, and the spark plugs were burnt up. Cost him $1500 to have them replaced. (Not sure how that works. The most I've ever paid for plugs was $8 each.)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Spark plugs burnt up from car running for two hours? And $1500 to replace? Guy got jobbed. Spark plugs don't "burn up" from the car running. That's pretty funny stuff actually.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I had a coworker complain to management because I hooked him up with a paid break. That's right. I let him get paid to drink a coffee and he wasn't happy with it. For those wondering it didn't even come from company coffers, so our company didn't lose money either.

Give that one the ole F off quick.

Spark plugs burnt up from car running for two hours? And $1500 to replace? Guy got jobbed. Spark plugs don't "burn up" from the car running. That's pretty funny stuff actually.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Based on 60,000 miles, he would have to let the car run for 1,000 hours to get close to what would burn them out. That would probably only get half way there.

taking the ridicule of those who pronounce "ask" as "axe" and applying it to an entire sentence

you and I would say, "Just don't ask them what they are fixing for breakfast"

Funny thing is I reread the thread posts before I noticed your reply, to catch up and all, and I understand every word this time... I've also had a few homebrews... :)

You would not believe how tough it is to get approved to go to a conference when your travel, hotel, registration, and meals are being comp'd.

It costs us nothing but my time. Why are you trying so hard to say "no"?

Someone dropped my India med/coarse-ultra/fine sharpening stone broke it and stuck it back together with silicone caulk:mad:

Ah yes, the classic "left something unattended" syndrome. Here's an extension of that. At the time there was a series of breakins and thefts around work. I had before this modified a compartment on a truck to be just mine, and keep personal tools and equipment for the job in there. Well some <expletive removed> decided that it would be brilliant to NOT LOCK the truck doors. Said thieves then went into the cab, broke down the damned wall between said compartment and truck from the inside, and stole my s***. Not too happy, considering the only thing they had to to was turn a key 90 degrees to lock a door and it all would have been prevented.

Well, now I'm angry again. The world has returned to it's natural state. Drinking time.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399420997.268049.jpg
have one on me

Here's one that bugs the crap out of me. I havent been working with bona fide ******** for over a year (awesome) but I do still have a few things people do that I dislike.

#1 is trying to "calm" my frustration with a half-assed attempt at humor. If my computer has locked up and makes beeping noises while I am typing, saying "are ya breakin it again, hee hee?" does not endear you to me. Its stupid.

Also, if I have been working on something all day and finally I devolve into "what. the. F%$@!?," I would think I am giving off vibes that ask for either space or perhaps "something I can help with?" Jokingly saying "yeahhh... what the fuuu#@ man" like Bob Hope doing his putrid hippy impression is just plain irritating.

I hurt a very nice coworker's feelings on Thursday... one I consider a friend actually... because she did that and I responded "its really not funny. Actually its pretty ****ty"

This is almost as bad as when friends and family say "its alright" or "its going to be alright" when they have no idea what the problem is to begin with. You're not going to calm me with "its alright!!"

sigh.

I'm walking to my car at the end of the day a couple weeks ago. A coworker pulls up by me and rolls down her window:

"Are you mad at me?"
Me: "No...do I have reason to be?"
Her: "Kinda. We'll talk tomorrow." *drives off*

Whatever. A couple days pass and I don't hear or see anything of her. Eventually I run into her again and tell her that I assume whatever I was supposed to be mad about wasn't a big deal after all. She giggles and says, "oh, you'll find out next Friday!"

Finally I ask some of the other people in my department if there is something going on with her that I should be aware of. Apparently she just started dating a guy in the building who is separated from his wife but not yet officially divorced. Aside from a couple close friends in the office, she was trying to keep it quiet. So then why bother dropping hints all over and then acting coy when asked about it? What bearing does this have on me?

I thought I got out of high school years ago...

Here's one that bugs the crap out of me. I havent been working with bona fide ******** for over a year (awesome) but I do still have a few things people do that I dislike.

#1 is trying to "calm" my frustration with a half-assed attempt at humor. If my computer has locked up and makes beeping noises while I am typing, saying "are ya breakin it again, hee hee?" does not endear you to me. Its stupid.

Also, if I have been working on something all day and finally I devolve into "what. the. F%$@!?," I would think I am giving off vibes that ask for either space or perhaps "something I can help with?" Jokingly saying "yeahhh... what the fuuu#@ man" like Bob Hope doing his putrid hippy impression is just plain irritating.

I hurt a very nice coworker's feelings on Thursday... one I consider a friend actually... because she did that and I responded "its really not funny. Actually its pretty ****ty"

This is almost as bad as when friends and family say "its alright" or "its going to be alright" when they have no idea what the problem is to begin with. You're not going to calm me with "its alright!!"

sigh.

RDWHAHB... I guess that doesn't help either :D

I thought I got out of high school years ago...

The first thing I've learned while actually maintaining a full time job and trying to grow up, no one ever leaves high school. I'm constantly reminded of this where I work.

To contribute to the thread, theres a group of people I see when I'm leaving the men's bathroom that NEVER wash their hands. The main reason I don't touch anything without a paper towel in the office anymore. I have extreme tolerance for morons, but, dude, wash your damn hands.

I hate it when a certain one of my coworkers says, "Can you help me with this?" and actually means to say, "Can you do the entire thing and send it back to me because I am to incompetent to be able to do it, but I'd like to send it along with my name on it?".

This same person called in sick today because of "swollen feet". Last week it was because of a panic attack. She has averaged 1 sick day every 2 weeks for about 3 months...

When the boss says "I know you are a good sport and are happy to help out with anything we need you to do..."

You know it never will be a convenient request when they start things out that way. Trying to completely mess up my schedule and destroy my social life for an indeterminate amount of time.

When the boss says "I know you are a good sport and are happy to help out with anything we need you to do..."

You know it never will be a convenient request when they start things out that way. Trying to completely mess up my schedule and destroy my social life for an indeterminate amount of time.

What I used to get along those lines were calls at 7pm Friday night and the boss saying, "Can you be in LA Monday morning, for three weeks, and work 16 hour days on a project that is three months behind schedule? Thanks."

I'm glad those days are behind me.

How about the one that makes a minimum of 15-20 bathroom trips during a 12 hour shift? Now he's taken up pissing in the trench out back even though he's only 30 feet from the control room. Broad daylight mind you. People potentially in the area.

Lady who is a year away from retiring and completely checked out. 45 minute morning breaks, hour lunches and checks out early for the afternoon break. Never lifts a finger to help anyone else when she has no files to work on, yet we are expected to drop everything to help her when she's out for a day or two. Not to mention the 6 months she had off last year for recovering from surgeries. (Insurance underwriter)

Edit:
Forgot to add that she works the 7-330 shift, yet schedules all appointments, hair cuts, and movie dates for around 1:30.

Also, while the manager was on vacation, came into work on Friday for 45 minutes then left for the weekend so she didnt have to use a vacation day.

I have a co-worker that likes to try and finish my sentences for me. So we have been doing this "dance" for the past few months. I'll be talking to someone and see him show up (he should be working, but he hears me talking...so needs to investigate) and I'll look at him and touch my nose (nosey) and move behind something so he can't see me. He'll move while only watching me, not the person I am talking to, and I'll move again...again..again. Since this dance has started, not once has he tried to finish a sentence of mine. Yet, he still hasn't stopped trying to watch me speak.

I was going to type some more, but I think I'll just get pissed off. So, that is it for now...

I used to work in a small office with several guys and one of them thought it was hilarious to walk up behind someone and stick his penis in their ear...

He did it all the time until he got smacked in the junk with a stapler.

I used to work in a small office with several guys and one of them thought it was hilarious to walk up behind someone and stick his penis in their ear...

He did it all the time until he got smacked in the junk with a stapler.

A mechanic on the other side of the plant used to pull his out the side of his coveralls (must've been a foot long to do that!) and surprise the new guys in the storeroom. Apparently someone said something to HR. He was told that better stop ASAP!

I have a co-worker that likes to try and finish my sentences for me. So we have been doing this "dance" for the past few months. I'll be talking to someone and see him show up (he should be working, but he hears me talking...so needs to investigate) and I'll look at him and touch my nose (nosey) and move behind something so he can't see me. He'll move while only watching me, not the person I am talking to, and I'll move again...again..again. Since this dance has started, not once has he tried to finish a sentence of mine. Yet, he still hasn't stopped trying to watch me speak.

I was going to type some more, but I think I'll just get pissed off. So, that is it for now...

In my mind I'm imagining like two scenes from Jurassic Park. First when they exit the cars and start swinging the flares around to distract the T-Rex and its sways back and forth watching them. Then the part with the dilophosaurus "hey, stick stick, go get the stick you stupid dinosaur".

A good plan would be either to print a picture of your face and put it on a little remote control helicopter and a little speaker to can speak through. As soon as you hear him coming, fire it up and fly it around the office, he'll be chasing that all day. Or print a picture of a different face and put that on, and a voice modulator so he doesn't know its you (or completly freeze everytime he comes by).

What I used to get along those lines were calls at 7pm Friday night and the boss saying, "Can you be in LA Monday morning, for three weeks, and work 16 hour days on a project that is three months behind schedule? Thanks."

I'm glad those days are behind me.

I used to get this at my old job. It's not my fault the project is so far behind schedule, but I'm the one who has to take all the heat from the clients. Got out of there 2 years ago and don't miss it.

I've been building/welding sprayer centers for a few years now as well as a bunch of small parts and odd ball stuff. quite a change from welding pipe and building methane vacuum pumps/injector plants/oil pumps, but welding is welding. there's many different ways to go about it, but the principle is always the same. I take pride in my work. I want to make things that last, are good and square, and with nice looking welds. I rarely make a mistake, but it does happen since I'm a human. it annoys the hell out of me when I do make a mistake, but downright pisses me off when any of my coworkers is all, "Oh man! Billy f-ed up!" 1/2 of these guys are constantly producing sloppy work and having to fix their own mistakes. even worse is when I get blamed for engineering leaving parts off the prints. I have almost a dozen different center sections that I build and some of them only once or twice a year. I build off the print. I expect the prints to be correct as the builders expect the centers to be correct when they put the sprayers together. I understand that mistakes happen, but I am not to blame for other peoples mistakes.

When They ask you a question that you know the answer to and they continue to argue with you once they have the correct information that you gave them. I hate this and it makes me see Red!!! :mad:

I work for a health insurance company, I and my team process medical insurance claims (medicaid and medicare so I'm not the bad guy here, I'm really happy I don't work for a commercial plan f'ing over normal joes). Long story short I am a sort of "expert"(my title really does have "expert" in it) on procesing for my states plan (well really basically all of the states at this point because I'm the only one with the cajones to be confident (aka arrogant) about how to process an insurance claim). Every so often I get people that will argue with me about something.

I've said the same thing to the 'regular' (don't take this as a deragatory term), "Ok, if you think I am wrong or not sure about my answer, copy, paste and save this conversation for your records, I can email it to you as well if you like and you and I both have the same records. If someone from compliance or quality review think my answer is wrong, I will answer for it." Not bragging I have yet to "answer" for anything. Obviously this might not work for other businesses but, why argue? If someone has the confidence to answer your questions, why argue? Otherwise if you think you know better, dont ask, just do it and avoid wasting time arguing.

(yes, I can be a total arrogant ****** at my job so you don't need to point out that I sound like one)

To be on topic, whenever I tell someone at my job "I know you know how to do this, and I want you to have the confidence to do it because I *KNOW* you can do it" and turn around a week later "I don't know how to do this".

Lady who is a year away from retiring and completely checked out. 45 minute morning breaks, hour lunches and checks out early for the afternoon break. Never lifts a finger to help anyone else when she has no files to work on, yet we are expected to drop everything to help her when she's out for a day or two. Not to mention the 6 months she had off last year for recovering from surgeries. (Insurance underwriter)

Edit:
Forgot to add that she works the 7-330 shift, yet schedules all appointments, hair cuts, and movie dates for around 1:30.

Also, while the manager was on vacation, came into work on Friday for 45 minutes then left for the weekend so she didnt have to use a vacation day.

Wow, you hate to wish someone ill, but that's someone who has earned a firing if I've ever seen one!

You sound like you work in a Seinfeld episode.

Training for a new position at work; the guy I'm replacing has been told up front that he is being replaced, and that it is his responsibility to help train me to do the job (part of the agreement was he would train me in exchange for a "soft landing" when he is ultimately terminated. I'm not sure what "soft landing" means, but I'm guessing healthy severance package, and I've heard mention of allowing him to come back part-time during his off seasons -- he's made no secret of the fact he's looking for a "Plan B" job in teaching)

We've been working together/training for going on two months now, and despite being told that I'm going to take the lead on a given project, still tries to maintain himself as the client contact -- a couple days ago we were on the jobsite, and while I was packing up my truck, he was going to drive over to the contractor and visit with him about the project progress. He wasn't real happy with me when I jumped in the truck with him and said "Okay, I'll go along."

It's also really starting to piss me off that he's been rather...lacking...in his site inspection work for the past several years, and now I'm having to be the hard@$$ with the contractor to fix things that "<coworker> never said anything about before"

They wait until the last minute to call off so you have no options for coverage, then I get screwed into working. Rather pissed off right now.

They passively aggressively decide to stop working since other coworkers do not do anything and as a result make for more work for the rest of us.

They work so ineptly because they know that they are kinda untouchable and management is rather toothless with them that anything the do actually causes more work for the rest of us to un-f*ck than if they did nothing at all.

The staffing in our section is down from 10.5 FTEs to 7.5 FTEs and there is no plan to fill a vacancy before December.

My boss's job has finally been filled after 6 months. The email announcing it was basically an explanation of why I didn't get the job. It's all right, though, I know I'm not the favorite son and if the other guy applied that it would be his to lose.

But that means I get to spend the next 6 months having to continue teaching him the financial aspects of our program of which he knows very little.

Back