Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm beginning to think I'm the Superman of my building. I seem to be the only one strong enough to lift the jug.

My shift ended up having a water war with another shift. They wouldn't get water, gloves, or anything. We started dumping whatever water we had left after our shifts to make them go get water.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I always hate it when I get my gloves too dirty, and I have to get a new pair. Nothing like a good broken in pair.

New ones are just to stiff. Although oil and certain types of gloves don't mix but who cares if they are the cheapest right!!!

I refuse to wear the brown jerseys. We have some decent nylon ones that have a rubber coating on the palms and fingers. I use those and the cheap junk Chinese $1 a dozen plain grey leather gloves. About half a pack are usually acceptable to wear. I'm not sure what part of the cow the rest are made from, but they should find something else to use it for.

Speaking of gloves; they got some awesome ones for the mechanics a few years ago. They are a Kevlar blend. You can see through them, but they are super heat resistant. I held a lighter right under my hand, and never felt a thing.

I always hate it when I get my gloves too dirty, and I have to get a new pair. Nothing like a good broken in pair.

For work gloves I agree. But for welders... man there's nothing like a brand new pair of welding gloves.

I hate how they keep firing all the management. They think keep piling in the new is gonna make things fresh, but they are destroying the backbone of a fairly solid process. That and it now takes 2 people to do the job a single person used to do and even that is giving too much credit to some of them.

All they keep mentioning is "corporate-like returns".

That I pretty much got leapfrogged for a promotion to be my supervisor by a guy who's worked here longer then I have but actively tries his hardest to do the least amount of work during his week.

I was told that I didn't get it because I have the least experience, which if funny since I remember filling in the guy that just got the job on how our process ran.

So for this week he works for me and next week I for him.....FML

that i pretty much got leapfrogged for a promotion to be my supervisor by a guy who's worked here longer then i have but actively tries his hardest to do the least amount of work during his week.

I was told that i didn't get it because i have the least experience, which if funny since i remember filling in the guy that just got the job on how our process ran.

So for this week he works for me and next week i for him.....fml

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410029304.622027.jpg

Crossed my mind this morning......let's burn this muthaF**** down pookie

That I pretty much got leapfrogged for a promotion to be my supervisor by a guy who's worked here longer then I have but actively tries his hardest to do the least amount of work during his week.

I was told that I didn't get it because I have the least experience, which if funny since I remember filling in the guy that just got the job on how our process ran.

So for this week he works for me and next week I for him.....FML

That's some BS man. Last job i had i got shafted for a promotion (it was out of spite). i ended up getting a new job and getting a 20K+ increase in salary. Then i hooked up people from the old job with new jobs at my new company. I'm pretty sure they regret fkin me over cause i got the last laugh.

You should start planning your move to get a new job. i know i would.

It's mind boggling because it's an active joke his lunch starts at 10:30. Like its not operations that joke about that either upper management does as well. I've been told from day one that he has naked photos of someone with the amount crap he's able to weasel out of or get his way.

Maybe hes banging someone in upper management. Hey i know a guy that got a nice promotion cause he was layin that pipe. She was nasty though so id say he earned it lol.

It's mind boggling because it's an active joke his lunch starts at 10:30. Like its not operations that joke about that either upper management does as well. I've been told from day one that he has naked photos of someone with the amount crap he's able to weasel out of or get his way.

I work with that guy! Dude must have some serious dirt on somebody.

I'm not really bent that I didn't get my boss's job when he retired even though I'm still doing 1/3 of his job. I know I wasn't the favored candidate.

All through the recession it was "we can't hire anyone." When I started the job 6 years ago, we were 10.5 FTEs. We had three reitrements. One was replaced with 0.5 FTE by shifting someone over parttime into out section. One was filled internally in the section. So that put us as 8 FTEs.

Then a coworker went out on FMLA. It was a fairly major procedure, so I can't begrudge her even though that puts us at a skeleton crew of 7 FTEs. She won't be back until December.

Here's what gets me: there are three, maybe four, "higher priority" positions to be filled before the two empty ones in our section (if they decide to fill them). Also, for some reason, we can't fill a position in less than 6 months. So even when the coworker gets back from FMLA in December, we won't be fully staffed for what looks to be two or three years.

Three years from now, we'll probably have another one or two retirements in our section. Which means we will go right back to being understaffed.

Good news: I'm interviewing for another job. It is basically the same position that I didn't get in my office. This position is in Olympia, WA, which is near the top of the list of places my wife would love to move to.

A Daily Occurence by a group of dudes that want to be left alone

One lady in an office full of guys; guys who are enjoying the silence of working and drawing. She suddenly jumps up at lunch time, audibly 'sniffing' around the office like a blood hound trying to figure out who has the real food before grumbling about how all she gets to eat is a salad. Then while we are trying to enjoy our lunch she asks, "Have you guys seen (insert some idiotic mind drool of a tv show)?"

No. We've told you every day, we have hobbies and or things we would rather do after sitting in an office all day that do not involve sitting in front of a tv.

"Oh okay, let me tell you ALL about this show".

Inevitably we leave and go sit outside just to be in our own quiet for a little longer before we get to come in and listen to her eat. Is she loud when she eats her lunch? You bet your sweet ass she is. I don't know, maybe she is in fact trying to kill each and every lettuce leaf by stabbing the glass plate as hard as she can like she is trying to get a fork full of macaroni. I guess it could be possible that her artificial sweetener (gag) just refuses to dissolve in her tea, that would warrant clanking the spoon at 100RPM around your mug for ~1.5 min. right? I'm not angry, none of us are. We're quite sure you buy only the freshershest vegetables known to man and can not help how crunchy it is, but try swallowing it before you begin to berate our ear holes with stats on your brand new iPhone. You're a mother of three kids that we have never met but know every detail about, do they all eat with their mouth open too?

TL;DR = STFU, the men are trying to work. Thanks. I needed that.

Let's see... Constant whistling, humming, finger drumming, clipping nails (toenails too!), not washing hands, not proof reading memos for spelling errors, general inability to perform basic computer functions like opening and saving word documents...

AHHHHHH!!!!!

When coworker who lives way the hell out in the sticks complains that his commute is longer than mine. When same coworker passive-aggresively blackmails me if I need to call out sick. When I get calls from said coworker before 7am. When new job asks me to take a week off of of current job (using backlogged vacation time) and then doesn't need me the whole week. When new boss starts texting me at 8am on a Saturday morning taunting me because my team is losing to his team. Ok, that one's actually quite entertaining and doesn't annoy me. But it does annoy my wife :mug:

Oh yeah I have co workers who commute only about 10-15 minutes. Not that it's a contest but they abuse it by leaving early/coming in late for "traffic"

Oh yeah I have co workers who commute only about 10-15 minutes. Not that it's a contest but they abuse it by leaving early/coming I late for "traffic"

At my job, it was the guy who lived closest to the office who was the most consistently late. I once asked him why and his only response was, "well, when you live only 10 minutes away, you don't have as much chance to make up time if you get caught at a light or hung up in traffic." Maybe that excuse would fly the first time or two it happened, but not 3 or 4 days out of every week.

I've worked places where I lived only 5-10 min away and was constantly late. It's because you assume you'll have plenty of time in the morning because you live so close so you can stop for coffee or whatever. Then you hit a red light and are suddenly 5 min late. That was also when I was 20 years old and didn't know better, I guess some people don't always figure these things out,

Problem with my job is that both of us work exclusively in the field. So I'm usually 20-30 mins from most of my work. He's usually 2 hours away. But he uses how far away he lives as an excuse to accomplish less (since time to and from our first/last is work time). Doesn't bother me when I'm not swamped. But when I'm buried and he won't pull his weight it bugs the crap out of me. MF'er that's why I pay literally 4 times the rent that you do. Man up and deal with it or move closer to town. I won't miss it when my new job goes full time and I can kiss this one goodbye.

When coworker who lives way the hell out in the sticks complains that his commute is longer than mine. When same coworker passive-aggresively blackmails me if I need to call out sick. When I get calls from said coworker before 7am. When new job asks me to take a week off of of current job (using backlogged vacation time) and then doesn't need me the whole week. When new boss starts texting me at 8am on a Saturday morning taunting me because my team is losing to his team. Ok, that one's actually quite entertaining and doesn't annoy me. But it does annoy my wife :mug:

What line of work do these announces come from? I would hate all of that.

What line of work do these announces come from? I would hate all of that.

Similar but not identical to field-based claims adjustment estimating (ie we do much of the same stuff, but don't work with insurance companies, but rather contracted with manufacturers). Basically drive around and write auto body estimates.

Counting the days till I leave the auto industry and start living the dream in a production brewery.

Problem with my job is that both of us work exclusively in the field. So I'm usually 20-30 mins from most of my work. He's usually 2 hours away. But he uses how far away he lives as an excuse to accomplish less (since time to and from our first/last is work time). Doesn't bother me when I'm not swamped. But when I'm buried and he won't pull his weight it bugs the crap out of me. MF'er that's why I pay literally 4 times the rent that you do. Man up and deal with it or move closer to town. I won't miss it when my new job goes full time and I can kiss this one goodbye.

That's like saying I should be able to leave at 3 instead of 5 because I left my house at 7...

I've worked places where I lived only 5-10 min away and was constantly late. It's because you assume you'll have plenty of time in the morning because you live so close so you can stop for coffee or whatever. Then you hit a red light and are suddenly 5 min late. That was also when I was 20 years old and didn't know better, I guess some people don't always figure these things out,

I get that, but it goes back to the old saying about the definition of insanity being trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. How many times should a person have to make that mistake before they realize to leave 5 minutes earlier every day?

[I will say that at my office there aren't much in the way of consequences for being late unless you lie about it on your timesheet, so feigning sheepishness and giving an "oops, caught traffic again" is usually enough to get you by. He also pulled the "hey, I was just stopping to pick up donuts for the department" card several times as well.]

Oh definitely not defending that action. I've just been that guy without realizing it and have since learned to give myself extra time. Some people go there whole lives without realizing that.

Did anyone cover the "guy who wants to figure it out himself" yet? I'll go with one of those. Such a waste of time and effort.
"This is exactly how to accomplish the following task."
"Screw that. I have different ideas."
"Dude, bad plan."
"Just listen alright!"
*Intermission*
"Jobs not done and the surrounding area is damaged. Maybe we should do it the first way"

*epic facepalm*

Did anyone cover the "guy who wants to figure it out himself" yet? I'll go with one of those. Such a waste of time and effort.
"Dude, bad plan."
"Just listen alright!"
*Intermission*
"Jobs not done and the surrounding area is damaged. Maybe we should do it the first way"

*epic facepalm*

We've got a couple of those at work. Worst on is a farmer or former farmer. Gotta tinker with everything and reinvent the wheel daily. Two years ago he was slamming the discharge valve shut on a compressor going to one of our reactors for some reason that escapes me now. He ended up blowing a tube on a heat exchanger. Had to take it all down the next day. Way to go hot shot. Thanks for the extra work.

"Dude, bad plan."
"Just listen alright!"
*Intermission*

*epic facepalm*

more than a few beginner brewers

stop pointing at me!

sometimes people need to learn on their own. it may cause more work, but if they can learn to listen to the folks that know what they're talking about, then it will be worth it. on the same note, there's the people that never learn and constantly flocc stuff up because they think they know better. I watched that a ton when I was building methane vacuum pump units. I could build 2 1/2 units a day no problem, but the guy in training thought they could do better. after a few days of only 1/2-3/4 completing a unit a day, they would listen and pay attention to the way I was doing it.

I read about 20 or so pages of this thread..... wow, all I can say is wow! How do you guys put up with all of the bs? I am so glad that after I got out of the military I pretty much have worked for myself. In the early 90's I started my first business and the only time I have worked for any one is if I have had spare time and wanted to learn the ins and outs of a business.(I have owned 6 different businesses in the last 20 years) I have never been one to tolerate any type of bs from employees/coworkers. I owned an automotive repair shop for a few years. The only business I have ever owned that I didn't run out of my house. Employees learned real quick not to leave dirty dishes or food splatter in the microwave. Always late for work? There is always some mechanic looking for a good paying job and since we paid better than any other shop within 10 miles or so they were easy to get. The only thing worse than lazy employees/coworkers is crooked customers that wanted repairs performed yesterday and for free. I always worked right along side my employees especially on project vehicles. I have owned a lot of businesses but that one was the most stressful I was so happy when I sold it. I am glad I don't do any mechanical work anymore.

I read about 20 or so pages of this thread..... wow, all I can say is wow! How do you guys put up with all of the bs? I am so glad that after I got out of the military I pretty much have worked for myself. In the early 90's I started my first business and the only time I have worked for any one is if I have had spare time and wanted to learn the ins and outs of a business.(I have owned 6 different businesses in the last 20 years) I have never been one to tolerate any type of bs from employees/coworkers. I owned an automotive repair shop for a few years. The only business I have ever owned that I didn't run out of my house. Employees learned real quick not to leave dirty dishes or food splatter in the microwave. Always late for work? There is always some mechanic looking for a good paying job and since we paid better than any other shop within 10 miles or so they were easy to get. The only thing worse than lazy employees/coworkers is crooked customers that wanted repairs performed yesterday and for free. I always worked right along side my employees especially on project vehicles. I have owned a lot of businesses but that one was the most stressful I was so happy when I sold it. I am glad I don't do any mechanical work anymore.

That's a page right out of Henry ford's book. Demand excellence, and pay extra for it. Few businesses understand that. Most of them pay sub par wages and are always putting up with workers who don't give a damn. Pay a person what you want their work to be like. Crappy=crappy. Good=good. I worked at walmart for several years over two tours and worked in most positions finishing out as a tire and lube express manager. They didn't understand that you can command excellence if you pay for it. Assistant managers making $12.22 an hour, after you figure the hours they put in, end up not caring about the place after a little while. How can you expect workers making half that to care at all.

A guy I work with constantly complains about being broke but he goes out to lunch almost every day to the tune of 6 - 7$ lunches....kills me

Latest posts

Back